• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why you react to some probiotics - some answers

A reader wrote today:

"I have been trying B. longum BB536 as I have read it lowers d lactate producers

Seems its helping gut function but giving hot flashes and some heart palps, wondering why?"

The light went on --- I have just gotten a reasonable size of end-products relationships (5800). Perhaps we may be lucky and get some idea of what B.longum does.

So I have added end products to the bacteria detail pages. For example:

http://microbiomeprescription.azure...s?taxon=216816&taxname=Bifidobacterium longum

And you will see at the bottom of the page:

End Products
  • ?-Amino butyric acid (GABA)
  • Biotin (Vitamin B7)
  • Folate (Vitamin B9)
  • Lactic acid
  • L-Tryptophan
  • Pyridoxine
  • Thiamine (Vitamin B1)
  • Urolithins
If I go to another probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus, I see a different combination,

End Products
  • Acetylcholine
  • Cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
  • Lactate
  • Lactic acid
  • Trimethylamine
  • Urolithins
  • Vitamin K
Or looking at my favorite Japanese probiotic, Miyarisan (Clostridium butyricum) we see here

End Products
  • Acetate
  • Butanol
  • Butyrate
And another Japanese one, Lactobacillus Casei

End Products
  • Acetylcholine
  • Cobalamin (Vitamin B12)
  • Histamine
  • Lactate
  • Lactic acid
  • ß-Glucan
  • Trimethylamine
  • Urolithins
Bottom Line
This presents a very different way of looking at probiotics. If you have a low amount of an end product (or symptoms associated with a low amount), then you may wish to surf thru the probiotics listed (with other bacteria) here.

For more information on EndProduct determination from a uBiome or Thryve sample, see:

Comments

how prescient...i just started taking bb536 lately and having what i think is really bad die off. (perhaps candida or a novel fungal infection, unsure). not sure if the bb536 is responsible for the crash but it does correlate. not that i was doing 100% either but this feels like toxicity

Blog entry information

Author
Lassesen
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Lassesen