• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tried to work - it just didn't work.

I tried to Skype with my team during a session they were having, and I couldn't really contribute, and now I feel not useful, and I really miss working.

They were all together in a really cool-looking working environment. They were being productive and having fresh ideas... they tried to tell me about them and I just couldn't take it in. It was just words to me. I tried hard to follow. I couldn't.

After several moments of hearing the words they were saying but not being able to take in the meaning, I said a warm goodbye.

I don't feel like I can tell them things they want to hear - not even encouragement because I can't ascertain what they need to hear right now, and I can't give them genuine compliments because I don't understand what they've been doing.

I can't have an opinion on what they're saying because I can't remember what my ways of doing things are.

Maybe I can do a bit of one-on-one conversation... I did that for a few mins last week with one of them on the phone. But with several of them, over Skype, jumping around across many different topics... I just can't. This stuff used to be what I enjoyed the most, what they're doing today.

I cried when I got off the call. I stopped working in November, after weeks of not being able to get myself to do small tasks.

It's so strange how I can do emotional conversations, but I can't pull together lots of information/factors to come to ideas or decisions easily. I can't jump around between ideas. Maybe there's other planes of understanding of what the problem is... I don't understand why I found it so difficult to understand them. Maybe it's that I can't take 'imaginative leaps' or assume other information when they say sophisticated things...

If I ask a question and don't get a straight answer, I don't understand what they've said. Maybe that's why I find therapy so difficult to understand at the moment. Maybe I need to hear within the bounds of what I'm expecting to hear. It sounds like I'm narrow minded! I don't want to be this way. It's not an emotional block. It's like... a meaning block.

I feel like I have brain damage. My brain just isn't working. It did used to work!

I'm worried that they're not doing the right things but I'm not even sure if I know what the right things are - I'm not in a mental place where I'm able to direct them. I wish I could do this.

Well, this experience has really brought home why I'm not working now. It's been enough time since I haven't worked for me to have forgotten that my brain just won't let me.

I suppose that if I stay within my limits, I won't get upsetting moments like this where I feel inadequate. Maybe when I'm a bit better, Skype calls like that would be something to build up to, not something to start with. One-on-one stuff might be a better starting point, when I get to a point where I feel capable of building up stamina.

I'm sad I'm not working. I'm sad that being ill has taken away the joys I took from building relationships and building my career and my business. And my income, too. Maybe I'll get some of that back one day. But it's already been a few months since I've been missing out on this significant part of my life. I wish I knew how long I was going to stay ill for - then I could prepare myself.
Reactions: RU72

Comments

Oh I know that too well. Sometimes I stare at my family - I can hear them, the words are coming in but it doesn't make sense to me. It's really scary. I used to teach college and I was a workaholic - so much lost to time now. I've been doing a lot of brain exercises and meditation lately - trying to heal over the bad spots or rewire things.

I found this article, it's me to a T
https://www.headway.org.uk/about-brain-injury/individuals/effects-of-brain-injury/executive-dysfunction/
I'm not sure it's you, but wanted to share it encase it rang a bell.

Blog entry information

Author
PracticingAcceptance
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from PracticingAcceptance