• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Treating depression at the microbiome level (diet, probiotics, etc)

I have done a few posts on depression over the years
A friend asked me to revisit it, especially now that I have a recommendation program working.

Depression and the Microbiome – PubMed
From The role of microbiota in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia and major depressive disorder and the possibility of targeting microbiota as a treatment option [2017].

• over-presentation of the orders of Bacteroidales and
  • under-presentation of the orders of Lachnospiraceae,
  • Higher level of Oscillibacter and Alistipes had higher depression
  • increased levels of Enterobacteriaceae and Alistipes
  • reduced levels of Faecalibacterium
Altered fecal microbiota composition in patients with major depressive disorder [2015]. adds that “Bacterial diversity was significantly higher ” and also reported additionally (for two types of depression):

• higher Bacteroidaceae,
  • higher Butyricimonas,
  • higher Clostridium XlVb
  • higher Enterobacteriaceae,
  • higher Parabacteroides,
  • higher Phascolarctobacterium,
  • higher Porphyromonadaceae,
  • higher Rikenellaceae
  • higher Roseburia
  • higher Acidaminococcaceae,
  • higher Flavonifractor,
  • higher Proteobacteria
  • lower Actinobacteria
  • lower Fusobacteria,
  • lower Ruminococcaceae,
  • lower Veillonellaceae
  • lower Lachnospiraceae,
  • lower Dialister,
  • lower Escherichia/Shigella,
  • lower Firmicutes,
  • lower Haemophilus,
  • lower Prevotella,
  • lower Ruminococcus
Additionally, Isovaleric acid in stool correlates with human depression.[2016] hence isovaleric acid producing bacteria appear to be another facet.

Isovaleric acid producing bacteria includes [ref]:

• Bacillus subtilis natto
  • Prevotella
  • Porphyromonas
Automated Analysis of your Ubiome
After you logged on to http://ubiomecfsweb.azurewebsites.net/ This Depression link will show your results against the above list. As a reminder, there are other comparisons available:

The result is a report such as shown below

depression.png

At the bottom is a link to recommendations for the ‘Match’ items above only. That is, the recommendations are specific to the depression symptom.

recomm.png

For the first one on the list, I did a google and found lots of pages saying that pomegranate helps depression!

Imagine that! With the microbiome approach, you are getting truly individualized suggestions and not proforma suggestions.

Comments

In a significant percentage of people it should. There can be multiple causes (including DNA).

In a significant percentage of people it should. There can be multiple causes (including DNA).

Blog entry information

Author
Lassesen
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Lassesen