• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Filling the down time

Over the years I have bought paints and artists’ materials over and over again. There’s a stash in my basement office area. The same with cameras. I have any number of cameras and lenses. Most of the years’ accumulations and peripherals are locked in a security closet, stacked three feet high.

Early on with CFS I bought and read a large number of books related to writing. I have several shelves of books exploring various dynamics of writing. All I’ve written to date are short commentaries here and there on topics in the news. e.g. opinion pieces.

I’m intrigued with and feel the enlightenment you’re supposed to explore with these tools, like colors or juxtapositions of the everyday to let onlookers get a peak into my private world of creativity.

I simply haven’t done anything yet, and that yet has been around for a long time, even before my CFS. I did dabble some then but following the tool curiosity was foremost. I feel I know a lot about the mechanics of these areas of art.

Am I really an artist or does researching into buying the tools of the trade somehow relieve and displace the creative urges, to the point that it satisfies that tic - in acquiring the knowledge of how these things work and can open other doors... ?

Comments

Dear @Stretched, To me it doesn't matter if your a gifted artest. When you learn and try to do something you're interested in that is what matters.

You go, you do , write with all your heart and be proud of what you write. I bet you will surprise yourself. It will feel good inside.

You don't have to write everyday, you can edit what you want to edit. Do it and enjoy.

I am not, I repeat, Not an artist but like you I decided to try wood burning. I carve in pictures and words and make signs as gifts. I get mad at my mistakes, lose interest than go back and finish my amateur sign.

I have to say, once I put finish on them I think they look pretty good for not knowing what I'm doing. Of course I criticize my mistakes but each person I made one for loved them.

So write, Stretched! I want to read your first one.
Sincerely,
Pen2

Oooh camera gear and art gear! ( things which make me excited and happy) -- Well to me sounds like you're an artist. I have stuff I haven't used yet like some new Dyna paints that color shift. I need to figure out a project that uses color shift paint. I need to do more art. I honestly spend too much time googling "what in the crap is wrong with me?? Why am I tired and confused?!" I probably should just let that sh1t go and paint. I'm not the person I used to be, I need to let that go too. Would like to hear more about your gear and see you do some stuff :) I always respect another creative person no matter the field *high five*

"Over the years I have bought paints and artists’ materials over and over again." Sounds a lot like myself. I feel if i keep buying new art stuff, then it helps to keep me inspired and also "invested, which perhaps would push me to keep doing art no matter how terrible I might be at it.

"Am I really an artist or does researching into buying the tools of the trade somehow relieve and displace the creative urges, to the point that it satisfies that tic - in acquiring the knowledge of how these things work and can open other doors... ?"

I echo what Pen2 and Runner5 say, if it helps you to produce more art then its a win.

We definitely have enough down time don't we. Have you started writing yet @Stretched? I remember someone telling me, (when I wrote in a journal) to just write don't worry about the spelling or what words you use. Do the rough draft then you go back and change what you want or add .
things. Spelling came last. This wasn't on a computer so a little different here. You researched so you know more than me.
Get inspired Stretched! Weary of not.

Thanks @arise. You’re right, of course but I’m still pondering not producing. @Runner5, I just smile when I see your Avatar and think dead pan cynic. IMO you have a gift for narrative which encapsulates daily frustrations and chunks them sarcastically back at your audience - Don Rickle’s type muse? Keep writing about your days!

Blog entry information

Author
Stretched
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs