• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Part time job, achievement unlocked!

I got a job!

This is significant, as it's the first time in my life I have ever been an employee. Previously I was always too ill, ever since a few months before my 17th birthday.

I'm 28 now, and I just got my first job.

I've been freelancing for over a year now, and I still have some steady gigs with that. But this is a proper job! It's part time work house-keeping at a bed and breakfast.

This is a very special bed and breakfast--it's specifically designed for people with severe chemical sensitivities.

Like me.

It's called Enliven.

The walls are painted with clay. All bedding is unbleached undyed organic cotton, including mattresses and pillows. The floors are heated ceramic tile. All moisture is addressed every day to prevent mold growth. Every single sink has a filtered water spigot right next to it.

It's like heaven.

Best of all? I can take my mask off!

Here my MCS is an asset, not a hindrance. It helps me do my job even better than someone without MCS ever could.

I've worked two 3-days weeks so far and it still feels a bit like a dream.

Can my body handle it? I *think* so, but I won't know for sure until I see how it shakes out long term. Right now my fibro is flaring pretty bad, often waking me at 4-5am or so without a chance of sleep. I'm still living in the minivan though, and the bed in there is pretty hard. Also not getting enough calories due to the difficulties of dietary restrictions and no cooking, in a new area.

Life in general is also just more stressful living on the road. After 3 years living in vehicles, I should finally be able to move into an RV trailer with my partner with full hookups on June 20th. Only after we manage to settle in to a stable home life will I really know what my body is capable of when it has sufficient rest.

For now, I'm toasting to this milestone. Cheers!

Comments

Congratulations! Truly a cause for celebration! It sounds like a wonderful fit. I remember my first part time job took around 6 weeks to adjust physically, so I hope time will help- in addition to moving to your new home. Great news :)

Great news! I am so happy for you. I hope you continue to improve and your life just gets better. :)

That is awesome and most definitely a step in a good direction! Kudos for keeping at it. That says a lot about you and how brave you truly are!

Congratulations Dainty!! Your first job at a great place. So hope you get a home soon. Keep us posted on how your body does with work. You deserve success!

I've gotten behind on the forums, but still want to say how happy I am that you have this 'appropriate' part-time job. I am even happier that you should be moved into your RV trailer now.

Blog entry information

Author
Dainty
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Dainty