• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where the 'I' resides

Hospital appointment on Monday. Went/was taken fully, freshly dressed (improvement on last year!). I cannot remember much - fatigue blots memory out.

Wrote this a while back. Too tired to reframe (although the worst is over), and it's more or less the same each time): 'Any outing takes its toll. Not of the pick-and-choose variety, mind, but with a wagonload of rot and muck. Extreme, frenzied, obliterating fatigue swamps mind and body, as does acute pain: flaring up, shooting about my form, lingering in places – as if head in a clamp or pierced by knitting needles; as if brain pushing against shrinking skull; as if punched in the face, hands as if trodden on, limbs as if bruised from falling; brief rushes in teeth, ears, soles of feet, kidneys, clavicles, ribcage, abdomen, shoulder blades. Days and days of this, then slow and incremental relief.'

The pain seems like a counter-weight to the tiredness I return with, and an expression of it. Fatigue is dull, heavy, a shutting down of body, faculties, desire; pain seems loud, driven, alive. It screeches through my body. The span between the two is where the 'I' resides.

Comments

A hug is just what I need today, thank you! Writing is my survival skill. Can spend a whole day kneading a sentence into shape. Gives me purpose and validation. Occasionally it brings a moment of connection. Sending a gentle hug right back.

Blog entry information

Author
marjojo
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from marjojo