• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Divans everywhere, I declare!

On Tuesday I was out, for pleasure. Managed twice last year; dreaming of four, five, maybe more times... Went with friends to Dulwich Picture Gallery (in London), Vanessa Bell’s show beckoned. Favourite jeans on (flared), and a wide grin; wheelchair pushed by stronger arms than mine. No coffee afterwards, no sideways glances; all energy assigned and labelled 'art'. Beautiful portraits there, abstraction too; vibrant, colourful work, experimentation on the picture plane. Books feature - people read, which I loved especially (long to myself, so much). Good to know: DPG is well-equipped for rest, and dotted with divans. Very comfy indeed (says one who often lies on floors), in dark emerald green – most becoming with my orange blanket. No protests when I lay. Soles did not touch on fabric, promise! The painting I wish home with me shows Virginia Woolf (Bell's sister), looking worn, in an armchair's snug embrace. She's got a piece of knitting in her lap, red as the flesh of water melon. Her hands seem caught in hesitation. I'd like to look at her every day.

A state of bliss was reached. The fall was deep, pain got so bad I felt beside myself. In process of emerging, starting to remember, with elation.

Comments

I went there a couple of years ago to see a Ravilious exhibition... sustained myself in the cafe before and after, and made use of the seats too!

Had a look online, such a quiet, gentle air around his paintings. In 2015 I my art-outing took me to Tate Modern, to see the Sonia Delaunay exhibition. Glorious. A friend rushed me through as I was running out of sitting. Wooden benches to lie on...

Blog entry information

Author
marjojo
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from marjojo