• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tolerable symptoms

I wonder "What is a significant reaction and when does a reaction indicate a need to adjust?"

I have reactions to the supplements that I take under the protocol (still mostly Freddd's), but I consider a great many things to be "Tolerable" because 1. my lifestyle can allow for the reaction, and 2. the reaction seems non-life threatening. Particularly if I have a history with the reaction, I tend to minimize its significance in terms of the advice to go slow. I feel like if I notice an improvement in myself and also, very importantly, that the reaction is tolerable and eases instead of progresses over time, that I am making progress and to go slower is only to go slower. Short term suffering I can deal with. I mean, I feel horrible, but have more energy, more mental clarity (for more of the day), and more emotional resiliency despite feeling physically worse, and the physical horribleness is, so far, easing over time.

Some Tolerable Symptoms

~Food Coma~
After I eat, I crash into a hard sleep for 2-3 hours. When I say eat, I mean like one cereal bowl of fresh home made chili with a few crackers, or one baked chicken breast and rice, without desert or appetizer or alcohol. This has happened to me on and off throughout my life, and there is no pattern of cause other than 1. the amount of food needs to be more than a snack, and 2. the time of day is near my circadian well, and 3. they occur in clumps, like a phase of something wrong with me (notably, looking back, taking birth control pills always induced them). Historically, a bad food coma left me feeling hot and burning inside, heavy, thick, dense, and it would take 3-4 hours to feel fully awake afterwards. It seems like they were worse if I weighed more. I consider a food coma as Tolerable if I do not feel hot inside after I wake up.

I have mentioned them to medical persons over the years. I always get a shrug.

~Energy Crash~
After taking any Energy supplements (B vitamins, ginseng, ephedra and the like, historically), the collapse into barely awake lethargy until I can sleep, and then a heavy and prolonged sleep regardless of amount of recent sleep, time of day, food intake, environment, or any other factor of note. I consider an energy crash as Tolerable if I do not have to be awake for any reason.

~Sick with Lethargy & Fatigue~
Different from just tired in that I feel sick and internally fatigued. Also, oddly, not a valid indicator of my functional energy level.

Yes, I am experiencing these due to the protocol, right now, and consider them to be Tolerable side effects. The general advice is not to push through, but my life is wasting away and I will never get it back, so as long as I have signs of steady, overall improvement, I cannot make myself tip toe around.

Comments

"~Energy Crash~
After taking any Energy supplements (B vitamins, ginseng, ephedra and the like, historically), the collapse into barely awake lethargy until I can sleep, and then a heavy and prolonged sleep regardless of amount of recent sleep, time of day, food intake, environment, or any other factor of note. I consider an energy crash as Tolerable if I do not have to be awake for any reason. "

Why take them then though for energy if they make you need to sleep more and cause you lethargy?

Hi taniaaust1. I tried energy supplements at times over the years, but did not take them after trying them once every few years because of the side effect energy crash.

Now, however, I am taking B vitamins as part of the protocol and persist despite the energy crashes because I believe I will get better (and have been.) The half life of B12 is about 4 hours, but over time the liver builds up a store and the crashes should subside.

Blog entry information

Author
Recluse.F
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Recluse.F