• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

keeping warm at doctor's office

I don't know what it's like were you live, but the doctor offices out here keep it very cold in the exam rooms. I always bring a jacket, but at my age my legs can't take the cold. So for my last visit, I took a mylar space blanket. I don't know if you have seen these, they are very thin and usually silver.

After lying down on the exam table I put it over me. It was so light it felt like it would not do much. But I knew it would at least block the draft from the A/C vents blowing on me. And then as I lay there it got warmer and warmer. It was trapping my body heat in the dead air space around my body.

I plan to use these from now on. Easy and convenient to carry.

Comments

interesting, thanks for sharing that. I used to feel cold all the time from the ME but never thought of trying one of those.

I've heard of those. I keep trying to remember to order some. They'd be perfect to keep in the car for winter emergencies, if nothing else.

The hot packs I use are Medline MDS138005 Accu-Therm Non-Insulated Hot Pack, 6" x 10" (Pack of 24). I learned about these while staying in a hospital.

what happens when you go into a supermarket where they keep the temp at almost zero? I have to wear layers and scarves !

I never go to supermarket, but if I did I'd wear a fleece-lined flannel shirt, an overcoat, and a hat. If it was still too cold I'd add maybe some thermal underwear.

I ordered 5x these for £1.25- I plan to use in Winter when we don't want to stick heating on, and I get unbelievably cold. Ill and feeling cold today despite many layers, so tested the little foil blanket. Brilliant! Lovely and toasty in a matter of minutes :)

I still use the mylar blankets, but I found something else that helps me a lot. It's a hooded version of my fleece-lined flannel shirt. I didn't realize before how much difference a hood can make. It's much better than wearing a beanie cap. In fact, it's a whole different thing. While I waiting for the doctor today I was lying down, and I put the hood over my head and put my coat over myself like a blanket. After a few minutes if felt incredibly warm and comforting. Eventually I got too warm and i took it off. I also use it at home too. When I feel chilled it warms me up pretty fast. It's also very soft. I bought it online at LL Bean. It's called "Fleece-Lined Flannel Shirt, Traditional Fit Hooded."

By the way, I live in Southern California. It doesn't get very cold here. So don't know how much good this would be for someone who lives where it's really cold.

Blog entry information

Author
Andrew
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Andrew