• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried Chemo for ME/CFS

Hi there,
I am in the hospital right now. I come every 4 weeks to get IVIG and have to be admitted due to a blood clot disorder. Along with some other issues this time, they are treating me for an infection in my leg and trying to get me to hold down food.

My infectious disease Dr. Has tried Chemo on a patient in the past and I was just wondering is there anyone out there that has tried this and had any success? The patient he tried it on had several problems like myself and it worked for him, while the others it didn't. He is hesitant on starting it where I am wanting to try anything at this point. Can anyone give me feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Chrissa
ME/CFS fighter

Comments

Did you mean to post this on the Forum? I don't know how often people check blogs entries (where you post is currenty)

Forums -> General Treatment -> Post New Thread

As a suggestion you could tag @kati because she was a
chemo nurse. Also @Jonathan Edwards is a retired doctor that has a lot of useful insight.

It seems risky to me. Chemo is harmful, and should really only be used where benefit is known to outweigh the harm. In this instance you would be putting yourself in harm's way based on no evidence.

If it were me, I would not want to do it.

What specifically would the chemo be for? It is used sometimes in MCAS (meds like Gleevec) and I know there are other off-label purposes. Was just curious in your case if your doctor explained what it would be for? And also like Groggy Doggy said, if you post it in the forum section vs. the blogs, I think you will get a greater response.

As I understand it Rituximab is a chemo drug and patients with cancer who also had ME type symptoms were responding positively. I agree that these are powerful drugs but this illness isn't a common cold either.
My mother takes a chemo drug (methotrexate) for her RA. She has done for many years and she's 80yo and still going.

Blog entry information

Author
Cheeza11
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...