• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Anti" Brain Drugs (the brain could eat itself )

Acetylcholine is the primary neurotransmitter in the brain with a major role in the ability to learn and remember.
Many of the symptons of deficiency are typical of what we joke about as "senior moments" or better known here on PR as " brain fog ".
There are many prescription drugs and OTC medications that cause memory loss. Every medication carries some risks and memory loss is a very common side effect .

If you are taking a drug that starts with "anti" such as antihistamines, antidepressants, antipsychotics, or antibiotics, antispasmodics, or antihypertensives, it's likely that it will affect your acetylcholine level. When you are low on acetylcholine you become forgetful. Drugs that block the action of acetylcholine are known as anticholinergic. Prescription sleeping pills and statin drugs are also anticholinergic.

Low acetylcholine can lead to symptoms that resemble dementia, mental confusion, brain fog, incoherent speech, delirium, blurred vision, memory loss and hallucinations.

Many OTC remedies are anticholinergic , the popular ones used for pain, sleep, allergies, motion sickness, insomnia, and acid reflux.

A large study found that seniors who take OTC medications, like Benadryl (diphenhydramine), are at significantly increased risk for developing dementia and Alzheimer's. Note to Self : no wonder Toby (my dog - Benadryl for allergies) appeared to have brain fog, poor puppy!!

Diphenhydramine is used in many OTC medication. Side effects are many:

Nervous system : depression with drowsiness and sedation, motor skills may be impaired

Dystonic reactions have been accompanied by dizziness, mental confusion, rigidity, lip and tongue protrusion, trismus, torticollis and swallowing difficulties. Toxic encephalopathy has been reported in a child with chicken pox treated generously with topical diphenhydramine.

Hypersensitivity : rash, pruritus and eczema. Photosensitivity reactions have also been reported.

Gastrointestinal : included mild nausea and dry mouth

Cardiovascular : included Hypotension, tachycardia, and palpitations

Ocular : included blurred vision, diplopia, and dry eyes due to anticholinergic effects

Genitourinary : included urinary retention and dysuria as a result of anticholinergic effects

Hematologic : hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia and agranulocytosis (rarely)

The most abundant dietary sources of choline-a precursor to acetylcholine are animal fats such as egg
yolks, cream, fatty cheeses, fatty fish, fatty meats and liver. Non-animal sourses include avocadoes and almonds.

As most of you here on PR know acetyl-l-carnitine is an amino acid that enhances the use of fatty acids for energy production and is a brain antioxidant, this is a benefical "ANTI" The brain needs acetylcholine and if it is not getting it from adequate dietary fat, then it will break down brain tissue....from which acetylcholine can be synthesized. In other words....... the brain will eat itself if you don't provide it with the healthy fat it needs to make acetylcholine.
Read here : http://m.nootriment.com/acetyl-l-carnitine/
Read more here : http://www.drugs.com/sfx/diphenhydramine-side-effects.html
Also read here : http://bebrainfit.com/20-medications-that-can-cause-memory-loss/
Wishing all of us good health and the answers we need , SOON !!

Comments

V. interesting. I'm currently experiencing an overall improvement since adding Alpha GPC choline to the citicoline I'd been taking. and amplified w/ coffee.
FYI:www.ilifelink.com/cdp-choline_and_alpha_gpc_what_to_feed_your_head.html

I had just run across the Alpha GPC "somewhere", but haven't had time to research it yet. So, thanks, your info will help !! Fingers crossed, Lisa has shown some improvement lately, will be posting her protocol soon IF improvement continues . Thanks again !!

Sorry, I wasn't guite awake yet !! So glad to hear you are improving!!! Success stories give everyone hope, together we can beat this "thing" !!! Good luck to you !!

"If you are taking a drug that starts with "anti" such as antihistamines, antidepressants, antipsychotics, or antibiotics, antispasmodics, or antihypertensives, it's likely that it will affect your acetylcholine level. "
You forgot antiinflammatories, antivirals.

I guess my point was that the "anti" prefix might be misleading in many instances.

@Woolie, this is a list of OTC medication that contain the anticholinergic dipenhydramine, some are antiinflammatories. Antiviral drugs are one class of antimicrobials, a larger group which also includes antibiotics and antifungal and antiparasitic drugs. Read here: http://www.drugs.com/ingredients/dipenhydramine.html

Ahmo, Alpha GPC choline is expensive. Where R U getting yours. I also use uridine. and 1,000 DHA I' m experiencing more desire, remembering to the point, I look at myself and say "REALLY". lol....I found lithium ornate to help as well. I finally got courageous after months of ruminating. Should I, shouldn't I... I'd like to find a reliable source for it in bulk that can b trusted. Again, scared! http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/69123-gpc-choline-uridine-dha-mrhappy-stack-positive-experiences/ is the site I found out about my stack. Im sure they recommend a bulk supplier but I don't know who is on that site. This site, I know, and the people are wonderful. Be well Amho. XO Cph13

Blog entry information

Author
seunderwood
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from seunderwood