• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Part I: Adventure Bread!

Okay, so: Adventure Bread. This bread is seriously an adventure. It is an adventure because it's going to ask you to boldly go where you have never gone before: to a bread with no grains in it whatsoever.

The difference between a grain and a seed may seem like splitting hairs, but they are not botanically equivalent: a seed contains the embryonic plant, while a grain is actually a fruit, containing the seed, seed coat and whatever fleshy bits the grain happens to have.

Credit where credit is due: here is the original recipe, and a variation, before I show you MY variation.

Note - you can seriously replace almost anything in this recipe with almost anything else that looks the same / has the same texture. You could easily replace millet with quinoa, walnuts with almonds, whatever you like. And that is part of what makes this recipe so awesome.

The resulting 'bread' is hearty, moist, and eminently toastable. I cut it to about 1 or 1 1/2 inch thickness and wrap individually before freezing; it should make dozens of slices. Then, I take it right out of the freezer and toast it at nearly the highest setting, and it cooks a bit more, releasing a delicious, roasted-nuts smell, and crisping the edges.

It goes great with nut butter, eggs, anything you'd put on a sandwich, basically. I added thinly-sliced avocado and chunky salt a few times, and it was heaven.

Well, without further ado:

Ingredients:

• 1 cup (5 ounces / 145 grams) sunflower seeds
  • 1 cup (3.5 ounces / 100 grams) walnuts
  • 1/3 cup (2 ounces / 60 grams) buckwheat groats
  • 1/3 cup (2 ounces / 60 grams) millet seed
  • 2 1/4 cups (6.75 ounces / 195 grams) GF rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup (3 ounces / 85 grams) flax seed
  • 1/3 cup (1 ounce / 30 grams) psyllium powder
  • 1/4 cup (1.25 ounces / 35 grams) chia seed
  • 2 teaspoons coarse salt (little bits of extra saltiness make it taste awesome.)
  • 2 tablespoons (1.25 ounces by weight / 40 grams) molasses
  • 1/4 cup (1.5 ounces by weight / 45 grams) coconut oil, melted; or 1 stick butter substitute, such as earth balance
  • 2 3/4 cups water

Directions:

Roasting the nuts and seeds -
  1. First, set your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Take a large baking dish or cookie sheet and lay out all of your nuts and seeds (minus the oats) and put in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until you can smell a sort of 'chestnuts roasting on an open fire' scent.
Making the dough -

3. Meanwhile, begin mixing the other dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. When your seeds are done roasting, add these to the dough.
5. Add the wet ingredients (water and molasses).​

Forming the loaf -

6. Get a small loaf pan and line it with parchment paper; pour the dough into the pan.
7. Dampening your fingers as necessary, pat the mixture into a loaf shape. However smooth you make it now is how smooth it will be coming out of the oven.
8. Wait a few hours for it to congeal. (Though you really don't have to, in my experience. I've put it in the oven straightaway and it turns out just fine.)
Baking the loaf -

9. Set the oven to 400 degrees F and cook the bread for about 1 1/2 hours. The bread should be a very dark brown once it is completely cooked, not burnt-looking, but not as light-colored as other bread, either.
10. Let it cool completely before removing it from the pan (an hour or two.)
Slice it and freeze! :)

I usually have some in the freezer, and have just run out, so in a day or two I'm going to make some more. At that time, I'll try to remember to snap some pictures.

Despite the ten steps, this is a really simple recipe I can manage on all but my worst days. It takes very little doing, no physical strength (no rolling, etc, like some bread doughs), it doesn't need to really rise, and it's hard to screw up and have to start from scratch.

I should say that I use all the mass measurements rather than the volume measurements. I think the bread turns out tastier that way.

Have fun!

-J

Next recipe: Cookie in a Cup!

Comments

Jaime, this is amazing. This is the first GF bread I've ever had that is BETTER than wheat bread, though there is one commercial brand I buy that comes close to being as good. The effort involved to make it is laughable. It isn't even hard to stir because the batter is so loose. I couldn't recommend this highly enough to anyone who has coeliac disease (I don't) but can handle uncontaminated oats.

I had this in the oven within an hour of you putting the recipe up, so I had to do some swappies (hazelnuts and pecans for the walnuts, flax meal for the psyllium powder and jaggery for the treacle). Not having the psyllium may have changed the consistency slightly - flax meal probably takes on less water - but I'm really happy with the result all the same.

I found it very slightly crumbly round the edges when cutting but it would be easy to keep the crumbs, dry them out for 5-10 more minutes in the oven and sprinkle on yogurt. Is your loaf crumbly or do you think this happened because I substituted the psyllium?

It would also be great if slices were returned to the oven for another 15--20 minutes to dry out to make biscotti.

Ooooh Adventure BISCOTI, @Scarecrow , you are a GENIUS. TRYING THIS THE MOMENT I CAN.

Yes, the crumbly consistency is definitely due to omitting the psyllium! The psyllium powder is gluten's replacement in this recipe: it holds the bread together, and you can kind of still see its stickiness sometimes. But I imagine replacing it with flax wouldn't alter the taste, much.

I am so glad you enjoyed it! It is seriously might be my favorite recipe of all time. :)

-J

I've been making "bread" from odd sounding powders for 20 years. Wish I could buy them, that's how much I like them- the limit to eating them is only my time in making them .

How freeing it is to eat something that resembles bread, and is filling, without having problems from eating it! Love my oven and glad you are finding out about all this.

Your recipe looks a lot like some concoctions I've done (but of course yours is better!)

Enjoy the adventure!

A little dried fruit would work well in this mix I think - figs, dates, apricots or raisins. It would make a great match for cheese. When I make my next batch I think I'll add dried fruit to half the mix and make two small loafs.

I'll bet some dried apricot or something would be awesome in this, @Scarecrow ! (You have the best ideas!)

I've seen this before somewhere, I think...did you post about it in a thread one time?

Anyway, looks DELISH, esp. toasted. I may try it in the near. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Well I discovered this recipe online a while ago, tried it last night, was so amazed, that I signed on today just to tell everyone..but now I see someone has beaten me to it lol. FINALLY, I can eat peanut butter, jam, etc and have a quick, healthy snack like everyone else who eats regular bread!! This is HUGE

Blog entry information

Author
JaimeS
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from JaimeS