• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Part II: Cookie in a Cup!

Sometimes, you just want something sweet and delicious, and you don't want to have to work like a dog to get it. This can be especially difficult when you have ME and something in you is calling for something sweet and carbohydrate-filled.

I use the flour I have on hand, but in general, you can use any combination of the following: one T. very fine flour; 2 T. medium-weight flour; and one T., rougher-textured flour. I have used flaxseed meal for the rough-textured flour and really enjoyed it, though if you use buckwheat, it might actually be too heavy.'

Regarding the sugar, you really do not need quite as much sweetness as the recipe calls for, but go too low and it will change the texture of the mix. If you want less sweet but same texture, try using coconut sugar; this tends to work out quite well.

I've forgotten the xanthan gum and not really noticed anything untoward. If you don't have any, I say go for it anyway. :D

I make no claims as to the healthiness of this one, but I will say it's probably a lot healthier than a doughnut or a cupcake. ;)

Ingredients:
  • A pat of butter or butter substitute (earth balance), or a tablespoon of coconut oil
  • One egg yolk
  • 1 T. brown sugar
  • 1 T. white sugar
  • a sprinkle of xanthan gum
  • 1 T. tapioca starch
  • 1 T. millet flour
  • 1 T. GF oat flour
  • 1 T. sorghum flour
  • a sprinkle of salt
  • a sprinkle of vanilla extract
  • chocolate chips and/or nuts and/or seeds, totaling to no more than 2 or 3 T.

Directions:
  1. If you used a solid butter or fat, first place it into the bottom of a ceramic mug and microwave for about 20 seconds.
  2. Then, add vanilla and sugars to the cup, mixing thoroughly.
  3. Add the egg yolk and continue to stir.
  4. Once these ingredients are well-blended, it's time to add your flours. Add all on top of one another with a pinch of the gum and mix.
  5. Once thoroughly mixed, add your chocolate chips, nuts and / or seeds and stir.
  6. Put in the microwave for exactly one minute. The top should appear a little shiny; don't worry about that, it's fine. It will continue to cook a moment in the cup, so I recommend you let it sit for about a minute before you enjoy.

I would love to hear about any variations people try, and how it works out for them!

Edit, 1/22/16:

Guys, this is just as delicious without the butter-substitute.

These days I make it like this:
  • One egg yolk
  • 1-2 T. brown sugar
  • a sprinkle of baking soda (just enough to fit on the flat of a knife; a 'pinch')
  • 2 T. tapioca starch
  • 2 T. sorghum flour
  • a sprinkle of salt
  • a sprinkle of vanilla extract
  • a bit of water to make the dough workable - usually just a sprinkle, don't go overboard!
  • chocolate chips and walnuts, totaling to no more than 2 T.
As always, I keep tweaking, but I've found this has fewer calories (if you care about things like that) and tastes more 'cakey', especially with the pinch of soda added. It fluffs up beautifully, and tastes incredible!

Previous Recipe: Adventure Bread

Comments

Looks good. I haven't had good results using coconut sugar as a substitute for regular sugar in baking, Have you tried it? I think it may work better for cookie recipes.

I make raw desserts using nuts , coconut oil and brown rice syrup. I let my food processor do all the work :)

Yes, Mij, I have used coconut sugar in place of the white sugar or in place of the brown, and once in place of both. You get something less sweet, but it still tastes good to me!

Blog entry information

Author
JaimeS
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from JaimeS