• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS gets a new name: Systemic Exertion Induced Disease or S.E.I.D.

Yesterday, 2/10/15, the IOM put out the report from the meeting last week to give ME CFS a new name and new diagnostic criteria. Now they're going to call it Systemic Exertion Induced Disease. How lame is that. It doesn't sound any better than Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, in not only my opinion, but my daughter's as well. She not only grew up with a mother, seeing all the neurological problems, she is a P.A. now and did her Master's Thesis on CFS. She was a "bit" upset with the new name, as was I. What do you think? If you "Google" S.E.I.D., the report comes right up.

Comments

I think it is an absolute ridiculous name and should not in any way be considered. I like your adjective better............LAME.

That is awesome as a joke. Systemic Exertion Induced Disease... "wow thats so funny lol". As something serious affecting chronically ill people it is yet another infuriating insult.

Blog entry information

Author
JeannieH
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...