• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and dietary B vitamins

I am mentioning a dietary change that has helped me; I don't know how it may have affected others. More than 30 years ago, I first had diagnoses of fibromyalgia and CFS. I had only a little improvement with taking sleep medications. Later, with a sleep study, I also had a diagnosis of a variant of restless leg syndrome. After a few years of the continuing muscular pain and stiffness, fatigue, and 'brain fog,' I began investigating the effects of dietary manipulation. After trying various diet changes, I have arrived at the conclusion that, for me, restriction of the 'energy' B vitamins, especially late in the day, is the optimal diet. When I have little intake of foods with these vitamins, I find that I do not awaken with as much fatigue and 'hangover' or with some of the bedcovers on the floor. These energy vitamins seem to promote a disturbed sleep pattern. In the late afternoon and evening, I restrict foods with flour, cereal, beans, nuts and others with labels that indicate even moderate B vitamin (particularly thiamin, riboflavin, niacin) content. I have at times used this finding to my advantage by consuming such foods, and multivitamin tabs, in mornings to gain energy during the day and without disturbing sleep.

Comments

Hi, thanks for the post. What foods do you have in the afternoon/evening that are low in the B vitamins that you mentioned?

Blog entry information

Author
C K Shannon
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs