• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MY ME and RA symptoms

I have been sick with ME for 11 years. Six months ago, I have been diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis - autoimmune) as well.

My Rheumatologist has put me on strong medications so far without any success. I am currently on prednisolone, plaquenil and humira shots. The RA is progressing though. At first, it was just my fingers and hands but now it has started in my feet and ankles.

I discussed the possibility of starting rituximab with my doctor and she agreed. I am awaiting approval from my insurance co. I know it is not easy to get approval but, I am hoping to hear a positive response.

While I'm waiting for this approval, I wanted to organize my symptoms, in order to differentiate between the ME and the RA. My purpose of doing so is in order to keep track of my progress. I want to know whether the rituximab is affecting the RA and/or ME.

I might start a thread with this once I'm actually approved.

Symproms of ME/CFS and RA

ME/CFS

RA

EXHAUSTION

X

X

POST EXERTIONAL MALAISE

X

HEADACHES

X

MUSCLE PAINS

X

UN-REFRESHED SLEEP

X

ALLERGIES

X

SENSITIVITY TO NOISE

X

SENSITIVITY TO FOODS

X

COGNITIVE PROBLEMS

X

SORE THROAT

X

FEVERISH

X

WEAKNESS

X

X

POTS

X

SWOLLEN HANDS/FINGERS

X

SWOLLEN FEET/ANKLES

X

PAINFUL HANDS

X

PAINFUL FEET

X

NECK STIFFNESS/PAIN

X

I will add to this blog as I get more information.

Comments

is it a black and white diagnosis of RA? Or is it still a possibility that its still ME but with stronger auto immune issues then whats common to ME?
It would be interesting to know how many others have been diagnosed with some type of auto immune disease after having ME for a long period of time but also were initially ruled out for autoimmune conditions?
i just wonder if its something thatis occurring because of the immune dysfunction in ME?
Hope they get some type of treatment sorted for you that lessons the symptoms?

Hope you'll get approval for the Ritux and get good results from it Nielk! Beatslacha!

I just found out I have been approved with my first infusion starting a week from today. I will start a thread on the forum to journal my experience and will post the link to it here when ready.

Congrats @ starting infusions. (it feels a bit funny to be congratulating someone for starting IVs lol). I hope they really help. I'll be following how it goes. Im looking forward to watching your new thread on this.

Hi Nielk, its interesting after reading about RA on Marks article about the Investinme conference with Jonathon Edward's work in that area. And now I see you saying you have a diagnosis here. I also have the swollen fingers/hand/wrist. toes and ankles joint pain that you describe, as well as morning stiffness and feeling stiff after sitting in any one position. I have never been specifically tested for RA (how did they test you?) but was given a n ANF blood test about three years ago which was negative (to rule out Lupus I think) I am yet to see an actual rheumatologist - been on the waiting list now for 18 months and still no appointment.
I hope the rituximab goes well for you and look forward to reading about how you are doing.

All the best,
Justy.

Blog entry information

Author
Nielk
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Nielk