• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Mold Avoidance Story

Greetings, everyone.
Someone asked me what my mold avoidance story was, so I will try to write down the highlights of it here.

The basic facts are these. I moved out of my apartment with a mold problem in May 2008. Since then I have lived in seven rental homes, six vacation rentals, many campgrounds, and many hotel rooms.

To go into more detail, I had had a classic, moderate case of ME/CFS for 18 years at the time I decided to move. I had been living in my garden level (half basement) apartment for 11 years, and it had had three flooding events during that time.

I had NO idea that anything about sensitivity to mold or mold poisoning had anything to do with me. Then I read Dr. Shoemaker's book, Mold Warriors, and found it pretty convincing. So I took some baby steps. I did the online VCS test and it showed my brain was being affected by some kind of neurotoxin. I tried some phytosterols from the health food store, thinking that they would have a similar function to cholestyramine. They made me feel better.

So then I sent in a sample of my living room carpet to Mouldworks and it came back with several different kinds of toxic mold living in it. Plus a toxin producing bacteria. I did Dr. Shoemaker's basic panel of blood tests at the time, and the results pointed to mold poisoning. The genetic test, the HLA-DR test, showed I had a mold-susceptible haplotype.

So I decided to move. I sorted my possessions and put about half of them into storage. The rest of them I donated or threw away. Very soon after I settled into a new temporary place with new stuff, I noticed that I had more energy. And the big difference was that I no longer felt the constant agonizing misery that I had felt for 18 years. It felt like going from being half alive to fully alive, although still sick.

At the same time, I noticed my body reacting to some stores that must have had mold in them. I became more sensitized to toxins of all kinds, including chemicals. Getting away from and decontaminating from these things took a lot of effort.

I intended to find a new apartment that would be a healthier place to live. But in those early years I ran into some very bad luck and made some big mistakes. I found that for me there was a big learning curve in practicing a mold avoidance lifestyle.

I was working on detoxing this whole time, but I could only go so fast. It seems like other people have been able to handle detoxing harder than I can.

After around three years of trying various living arrangements in my home town, I ran out of places to try. I had tried all the newer hotels in town by that point, as well as many of the newer and nicer apartments and townhomes. So I began to travel to different states. I discovered that in places with really beautiful, pristine outside air, I had a bigger margin of error for making mistakes.

So that's where I am today. Traveling around and looking for a good place to rent. In hindsight, it probably would have been better for my personality to do a less extreme version of mold avoidance. But I might not have been able to help it. My reactivity dictated my choices as I went along, had more mishaps, and found fewer places that felt good to me.

I wouldn't either encourage or discourage anyone from trying a mold avoidance lifestyle. Whether it's the right lifestyle for someone depends on a lot of factors. But if someone decides to try it, I would be supportive of that person.

Comments

I originally got sick while living in a basement apartment. My bedroom shared a wall with the building's laundry room. It was in Iowa, in a town where some buildings had mold problems, but not all of them. And the outside air was not terribly bad there. I just had some rotten luck in my choice of apartment.
I went back to visit that building now that I am sensitized, and as I was walking up the sidewalk toward the front door, I ran into a cloud of mold toxin radiating out from the building. Yikes. A building has to be very bad to be creating a toxin cloud around it.

Blog entry information

Author
Forebearance
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Forebearance