• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A COOKING LESSON - Finding Contentment in a Life of ICI (Invisible Chronic Illness)

You may not be able to change what youve got & what life has dished up to you on a platter, but you can change what you wish you had. Needs & desires shape our lives, & what we perceive as being important or crucial to our happiness, is really just a state of mind.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Mind is like a roast chicken dinner.<o:p></o:p>
It requires just the right type & amount of accompaniments to make the perfect meal (just as life requires a balance of experiences to complete our existence).<o:p></o:p>
The centre of your plate holds the plump, golden, seasoned & stuffed fowl (live in the moment, learn to accept your illness, be grateful for the smallest gifts, but remember that nothing is permanent in this life. We are born, we live, we die).<o:p></o:p>
Too much salt or seasoning & you spit it out in disgust (just as you reject lifes unsavoury experiences). Too little seasoning & it goes down your gullet without your taste buds experiencing the sublime pleasure of the taste sensation (dont close your mind to the joy of simple pleasures).
<o:p>The centre of a plucked chicken is hollow. You can toss it in the oven & it WILL cook, & WILL taste like a chicken, but fill it with the right amount (& kind) of stuffing & it will fill your body with the ultimate eating experience. <o:p></o:p>
How do you make the tastiest stuffing?<o:p></o:p>
You take a range of ingredients (lifes possibilities) & chose the ingredients that marry well together & are within your budget & time constraints in preparing your meal (your imagination & desires should be those that are possible, not impossible. You should aim for what is do-able in your time frame of energy. Dont try to pack too many tasks into your limitations. They will end up emptying your reserves & your body cant perform in an emergency, or even process the normal functions it takes to get through the day).<o:p></o:p>
Bread crumbs are usually the basis of a good stuffing (just as your body needs a minimum of food & liquid for your organs to function). I mix in a small amount of finely chopped onion (a boost of the right supplements can support a weak immune system). I always add finely, chopped fresh herbs (or dried if fresh is unavailable) to enhance the flavour, & in a therapeutic application, break down the fatty, hard to digest, aspect of the fowl (digestive enzymes & pro-biotics can assist in your digestive process).
Personally, I like the zest of a fresh, organic, tangy lemon in my stuffing (add a smidgeon of your favorite treat to your day, be it a chat with a dear friend, a mushy love story on film or book to make you laugh or cry, a bar of your favorite sweet treat to round off your meal, or lie back in a comfortable chair in the garden to soak up the suns rays & listen to the sounds of nature. Or pile the pillows up in a warm, comfy bed & listen to your favourite music or uplifting story on tape).<o:p></o:p>
Lightly beaten egg to combine all the ingredients of the stuffing will make a moist light stuffing easy to spoon into the chickens cavity (use common sense in your treatment & approach, dont go to extremes).<o:p></o:p>
Add a fresh, colorful array of organic vegetables, roasted or steamed (or both) to balance the taste experience & nutritional value (just as your body needs a balance of acid & alkaline, protein & carbohydrates, sweet & bitter, fibre & bulk, liquid & solids to feed your body & enhance the digestive process). <o:p></o:p>
I was going to write a Blog on the Buddhist concept of Mind, but I ended up with the menu for tomorrows dinner enjoy the meal, the next Blog of mine might be harder to swallow :Retro smile:.<o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 225pt; HEIGHT: 207.75pt" id=_x0000_i1025 type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Roast Chicken Dinner" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Vicki\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 225pt; HEIGHT: 207.75pt" id=_x0000_i1025 type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="Roast Chicken Dinner" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Vicki\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape></o:p>

Comments

I have to admit I am curious about your next blog, "Enjoy the meal, the next blog of mine might be harder to swallow"........

June,
the "next blog" was written earlier this afternoon in a fit of crazy boredom with the rainy, miserable weather closing down the afternoon. It might be a little too loopy & hare-brained to post. I'll have to think about it a bit more. While some members enjoy my sense of humour, the blog written this afternoon might make some members think my semi-retirement has affected my brain (& they wish I kept my job & sanity intact).

Yum! I am starving. Seriously. That was really well writen and a great metaphor. I loved it and oh so true. Now, if I could just remember it. I need to go eat now.....

h-

June,

I'm soooo sorry, don't know what happened. My reply to your comment, went over the top & deleted your original comment.

Moderators, how do I get June's full comment back again?

Blog entry information

Author
Victoria
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Victoria