• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Pedometer

I want to make sure I document my observations on the use of pedometer. This is keeping HR mostly under AT (115). I exceed my AT every time I go up the stairs (which I need to do to go to restroom).
So I discover that keeping under my AT does not mean I have unlimited energy either.

I have what I call a slow day. I go to work and do as Little walking as possible (except for the 10min slow walk I do to avoid pain) and a very low key day. That for me is a 3,000 steps day. This account for most of my week days, I can do a little activity in the weekend and low key activity.

I have the Medium day. I go to work and have to move around a lot at work or I have to do dinner or any extra activity during the day (go buy lunch). This is between 4,000 to 5,000 Steps. This I can do about twice in a week but this will set the weekend as rest only.

A high Day is when I go over 5,000 Steps. In my current state that is a Sure Crash. Sometimes I reach this just by having a busy work day or by having an extra activity that I cannot avoid (like my child presentation or activity) I have to do preventive rest IF I KNOW that I will exceed my steps. Sometimes no matter how much we plan, the unpredictable at work throws me off.

It took me about a few months of daily use of pedometer and some crashing on purpose to figure this out. If I add stress or very heavy mental work, I have to stay at the 3,000 steps. No matter how crashed I am, I cannot pull a day with my current responsibilities under 3,000 steps.
Reactions: Sparrowhawk

Comments

I have read elsewhere (don't recall where) that preventive rest is better than trying to 'make up' missed rest. I think this applies even to healthy people, but is probably a bigger factor for us (like just about everything).

My limit right now is about 2500 steps, more than that and the next day I am worse. My sleep may also be affected. The pedometer is a very useful tool for pacing.

Blog entry information

Author
Seven7
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Seven7