• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Virus Infections cause chronic fatigue syndrom

Many of the signs and symptoms of ME/CFS are similar to those of a lingering viral illness, so a lot of research has focused on the possibility of a viral or infectious cause. Researchers have examined three infection-related theories, though none has been proven:
  1. A virus or bacteria infects the body and damages the immune system. The damage then continues to cause flu-like symptoms even after the virus or bacteria is gone.
  2. After an infection, an abnormal action by the immune system triggers a virus that had become inactive to reactivate.
  3. A physiological response to viral infections occurs in people who are susceptible.
While not everyone with ME/CFS shows signs of infection, many do. Several pieces of evidence support a theory that some ME/CFS is caused at least in part by a virus:
  • Enterovirus connection In a 2007 study, people with ME/CFS were four times more likely than healthy people to have evidence of enteroviruses in their stomach tissues. Enteroviruses cause stomach infections, and symptoms of ME/CFS frequently start after that kind of illness.
  • Rnase L Your body uses the enzyme Rnase L to kill viruses that are attacking your cells, and ME/CFS patients frequently have high Rnase L activity.
  • Natural Killer (NK) Cells and T CellsNK & T cells in your immune system attack virus-infected cells, and people with ME/CFS frequently have impaired NK and T cell functions and numbers, suggesting chronic immune activity may be exhausting and depleting them.
  • Antibodies People with ME/CFS typically have high levels of antibodies to many infection-causing organisms that cause fatigue and other ME/CFS symptoms. These organisms include those that cause candida (yeast), human herpesvirus type 6 (HHV-6), measles, parvovirus and Epstein-Barr. Researchers have not been able to show that any of these is a significant cause of ME/CFS.
  • Post-illness onset Up to 80% of ME/CFS cases start suddenly after a flu-like condition.
  • Cluster outbreaks While the CDC has not confirmed most cluster outbreaks, reports of multiple people in the same household, workplace and community developing ME/CFS at the same time are not unheard of.
Some researchers suggest that changes in normally harmless bacteria in the intestine may play a role in the development of ME/CFS.
However, some evidence seems to run counter to the viral-cause theory. ME/CFS doesn't appear to spread through direct content, people with it don't appear contagious, and -- in spite of well-designed studies -- researchers have not been able to link ME/CFS with any specific infections.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/ChronicFatigueSyndromemtlazmtAltbAlmzmn?fref=ts

Comments

contageous aspects of cfs/me being limited could be explained maybe by it possibly being an immune defiency(nk cells) or auto immune condition??

You said:

"However, some evidence seems to run counter to the viral-cause theory. ME/CFS doesn't appear to spread through direct content, people with it don't appear contagious, and -- in spite of well-designed studies -- researchers have not been able to link ME/CFS with any specific infections."

Just my opinion, but I think if more docs considered environmental issues -- like pesticides, fungicides, petrochemicals, mold, etc., -- that they might disrupt the immune system and/or cause methylation issues -- then that may explain why we stay chronically ill. It can't just be 'this virus' or 'that bacteria', etc....

Excellent summery. The immune system would be my first port of call for research. Stabilizing this system may go a long way to bringing the body back to a balance state. Well Done!!!

Yet we know that while only the cluster outbreaks seem to involve specific infectious agents, its been shown that its possible that an agent is blood transmissable. The 1955 animal study showed that. We also know that risk is higher for anyone who has had a blood transfusion recently. However I do think the pathogen is less important than the pathophysiology. Numerous pathogens might be capable of inducing similar pathophysiology in susceptible individuals. If individual susceptibility is critical, then the epidemic potential of such pathogens will be greatly reduced, which might explain the relative lack of epidemics.

people with normal immune system has no problem with virus infection but when your immune system get weak for any reason can allow to virus to be very strong like aking strong antibiotic which already happen to me and i think its the main reason during i have virus infection which can be normal and can go away easy but my doctor gave me strong antibiotic which make my immune very weak so its belong for wrong diagnostic but for my opinion now we can diagnostic our case better than any Doctors

I am new on here and after suffering 2 years with this disease I have only just been diagnosed.Can I just say that I have had plenty of stomache issues and had all the medical exploratory investigations known to man and all tests came back negative, however I have taken lanzoprasole now for 10 years and have been told I will always have to take them.
I had endometriosis as long as I can remember and I am 55 . I had rubella again when I was 20 and mumps for the second time at 23. The cold sore virus has plagued me since the age of 7. So I believe the immune system does have a part to play in the cause or trigger to ME, although I very rarely get a cold or flu now, but can feel mild flu symptoms regularly for short periods.
Apart from sharp shooting pains and numbness, tingling and stiffness I do not really have any pain. I am interested to know what other pain do others have??

Blog entry information

Author
mohamedr
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs