• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exercise Take #9999999

Sooo I was symptom free pretty much at rest so I decided to add exercise again :confused: . First day was Good, I did 20 min of easy stationary bike. I got little burning on spine and head, not too bad :thumbsup: .​
Second day, I did 1h of easy bike. Got Really bad burning in spine and head, I am also now experiencing the weirdest pain in neck, kinda in the base of the skull (left side). So I guess is part of my PEM. The burning got really bad so I used Advil and got better. I decided to try Advil before exercising and see if that helps.:sleep:
Third day: Took Advil before going to exercise. Something most be wrong in this picture if somebody has to take anti-inflammation medications to seat in a bike for less than one hour!!! Did 50min.:oops:
I had less PEM, Will take weekend Off. Probably will go back down to 20min everyday and see if that is better .:ill:
I think I have a new symptom, I get extremely sleepy during day. I am sleeping for 12 to 14h to just make it. I am wondering if I should lower the sleep medication.​
So far so good. Feeling better overall.​
Reactions: alwayshopeful

Comments

Eek! I'm really concerned you m ay crash as a delayed reaction. I did too much, seemed to tolerate it, but my NK cells had decline after the months I had built up exercise. Then I crashed by missing some sleep a couple days one week. Took me a year to be able to begin ANYTHING again, I crashed so badly!
Sleeping 14 hrs may be related to not starting low, and staying low (like 5 minutes?!) only increasing after two weeks tolerated at that level. Also advised to start more like 90 seconds, alt. w/ lying flat, or at most, 5 min's alt. w/ lying flat 1 to 2 times that amount between blocks of exercise.
Have you seen the videos in "The Exercise Group" on ME/CFS community? I have also read, not to exercise two days in a row, for those of us w ME/CFS.
Best wishes, though, and thanks for blogging on it for us.
WaSP

Anddddddddd Crash I DID !!! I am just standing from the bed!!! I felt so bad I was crying and cursing the day I was born!!! yeap, Backing off again to 5min on 5min off every other day. Yes I have seen the videos I am just not in the patient side and with all this extra weight driving me nuts :) Will start all over again.

I started out with 1 minute - of weightlifting. Then I'd pay the price for a day or two, then go back at it again. I do much more now, almost normal. It was an adventure.

One thing I notice is that I pretty much HAVE GOT TO SLEEP within a few hours after exercise - which is something that I welcome :)

P.S. I don't see how to watch for replies on blog comments. Oh well.

For some reason I can't figure out, steady-on exercise (treadmill, rowing) crashes me, but the same minutes on the weight machine circuit is OK. And by OK, I mean very low weight, low reps, every other day, only if I feel up to it.

But walking in a small store, or meandering in the mall when I feel up to it, isn't a problem.

Ive found that its always best when trying to see how much you can "successfully" achieve without possibly triggering major issues is to take it far slower then that .. raise activity level a bit and see if it can be maintained over 2-3 weeks. Its the maintaining part which is usually very very hard. Often one can increase activity a bit but the affects of that bit of activity like build up over a couple of weeks or so even when they seemed okay at first. Hence your limits before issues kick would be way less then what you did here. eg that 20 mins increase caused more symptoms just from ONE DAY so best to take it back to something like 10 mins and stay on 10 mins for a couple of weeks to see if it can be maintained without bringing your condition down some. You need to find a level which isnt putting more strain onto your body at all... (you want to be getting weller not causing more symptoms).

Exercise is good but only if it isnt making you any worst. Listen to your body.

"Anddddddddd Crash I DID !!! I am just standing from the bed!!! I felt so bad I was crying and cursing the day I was born!!! yeap, Backing off again to 5min on 5min off every other day. Yes I have seen the videos I am just not in the patient side and with all this extra weight driving me nuts Will start all over again." For get about loosing weight by exercise. I personally dont think its realistic that a ME/CFS person can loose weight in that way as we just cant do enough to make much difference (and with loosing weight by exercise, you need to be able to be consistant and be doing enough to do so.. near impossible for us). Changing what you are eatting or calorie counting..is a far better way for us to go.

ps.. seeing a nutritionist for advice on dieting and who can go throu your diet with you.. may be a good idea. (or maybe someone at this site who has successfully lost weight with diets can give you some tips).

Blog entry information

Author
Seven7
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Seven7