• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptoms of dopamine dysfunction

indecision
poor initiatives
depression
fear
exhaustion
chronic fatigue, sleep all day
tremor

Supplement: Tyrosine: 1 to 2 x 500 mg per day (never at night)

Food: pumpkin seeds, almonds, avocados, bananas, herring, cheese, sesame

Not suitable for migraine, hypertension or concurrently with antidepressants

Extra:
Vit B = needed for neurotransmitter production
Vit C: 2g
magnesium
fish oil (EPA-DHA): 1 g

Good supplement for neutrotransmitter exhaustion in general:
Nutramin Emotional Balance, 1 x 1 x morning and evening
Not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women

Comments

Have u tried acetyl tyrosine, i am thinking of trying it soon. Supposedly absorbed better and cross over into the brain easier, lower doses are then needed.
Do u take your tyrosine on an empty stomache? Interesting to know if it makes a difference if taken before food or after food??

cheers!!!

I learned of the value of tyrosine years ago in relation to SAD, Seasonal Affective Disorder. 1 500 mg capsule cured it. I took it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, having learned that it is not a "competitive" amino and when eaten with food can be turned into something else. I found taking another capsule later on didn't help but kept me up at night. It is an activating neurotransmitter. My doctor knew and approved of it, as did an expert I knew then in the area of Depressive Illness. My doctor said that with some people it causes or adds to a headache problem but that was the only counterindicator she had heard of. I am not usually a headache sufferer and did not have this problem.

Interesting that there is not more discussion on dopamine. It is one of the neurotransmitters that is not well treated, especially for depression. Most antidepresants do not help much with dopamine. I did about a year of self treatment that focused on increasing dopamine. THis included high does of tyrosine (1500), mucuna pruien, caffiene pills, and then on to prescription drugs like riddlin, midifinil, and adderall. A main reason these are not ideal is because some of the treatment to increase dopamine may increase other unwanted problems like anxiety. I found that there is a limit to it, but the increase in dopamine actually seemed to be more calming and allowing better sleep, rest periods during the day, and just less stress. This seemed to offset the problems like increased anxiety. I did have some trouble with the effects wearing off in 1 to 3 weeks. For example, riddin was great the first week, best I felt in 4 years, about 12 of my symptoms had significant improvement, but after 5 days, it begin to slow down, after 2 weeks, not much improvement was noticable. I am currently working with adderal and have made better improvements, but its only been 2 months, so still to early to say. From the other supplements, I noiced improvements with almost everyone, but the improvements were only some what effective. May depend on the level of your affected area.

Wellbutrin i found somewhat effective for energy but didnt overstimulate me, but noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor reboxetine just overstimulated me and ruined my sleep, i have tried very small doses with minimal success.

Mucuna sounds interesting and something i would like to try, did this help much??

I have read that Wellbutrin does hope a little with dopamine. The dopamine I was getting was through a integrative Dr. I took 2 x 300 mg per day. That was one of the steps that made me look further into dopamine. There is also a Dr. Hinz that uses Mucuna P. for increasing dopamine. His lab did do a urine analysis for me, which was showing dopamine on the lower level of the range, but I am not sure those tests are accurate.

What is the evidence for these supplements increasing levels of neurotransmitters, Marlene? Some references would be helpful.

Blog entry information

Author
Marlène
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Marlène