• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pregnancy Week 32Busy bodies.

My husband told a friend recently about our decision not to breast feed for medical reasons. Our friend has since taken it on himself to research the issue on the internet and send the information he has found to another close friend who is a mothercraft nurse.

He has also passed judgement on us for our decision. This made me really angry and started to let it get to me. Do people really think I would make such an important decision so lightly and that I wouldnt put the welfare of our baby before all else. I have chased every avenue I know and cannot get a definitive answer from medical research. I have weighed up the risks and I have made the decision based on my gut instinct.

One of my other friends has been really supportive. She had immense problems breast feeding and they later found out her child was tongue-tied and could not latch on no matter how hard they tried to force her. She said to me that no one turns around at their 21st birthday and says whether they were breast feed or not.

After I calmed down I realised that I am going to come up against these busy-bodies after the baby is born. I need to believe in myself and my decision and trust that I am making the best decision for my baby, my husband and myself.

I am drawing deeply on the fact that I have looked deep into my inner self and made a decision that I feel comfortable with. I know I am forgoing this natural process, based on a risk rather than a known fact but I have to trust myself. If in years down the track it turns out that I'm being overcautious, than I will live with that. I could never live with myself if I knowingly pre-disposed or passed this terrible illness on.

Comments

People who believe they know what you should do and are vocal about it are everywhere, whether you have a baby or not. I think you are doing the right thing by telling yourself that only you and your husband can make the decision about what is right for your family. I'm sure those people mean well, but I agree with you that you have to do what you think is right and not let those people get to you as much as you can. Maybe telling yourself that they mean well but obviously don't know the situation the way you do will help in not being too annoyed at them while still being confident in your own choices?

Thanks Ocean,

Your advise is good and your support is appreciated. I do actually think he means well, just has to make his point.

Thanks Allyann. Being sick I've dealt with this kind of thing a lot, people always thinking they know what you should be doing to get better when they know nothing about your sickness or what you've already done. I get annoyed by it a lot myself but try to tell myself the same thing I told you :) It helps. Best to you!

Blog entry information

Author
allyann
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from allyann