• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From My Commonplace Book - 28

A Mown Lawn

by Lydia Davis

She hated mown lawn. Maybe that was because mow was the reverse of wom, the beginning of the name of what she was -- a woman. A mown lawn had a sad sound to it, like a long moan. From her, a mown lawn made a long moan. Lawn had some of the letters of man, though the reverse of man would be Nam, a bad war. A raw war. Lawn also contained the letters of law. In fact, lawn was a contraction of lawman. Certainly a lawman could and did mow a lawn. Law and order could be seen as starting from lawn order, valued by so many Americans. More lawn could be made by using a lawn mower. A lawn mower did make more lawn. More lawn was a contraction of more lawmen. Did more lawn in America make more lawmen in America? Did more lawn make more Nam? More mown lawn made more long moan, from her. Or a lawn mourn. So often, she said, Americans wanted more lawn mown. All of America might be one long mown lawn. A lawn not mown grows long, she said: better a long lawn. Better a long lawn and a mole. Let the law man have the mown lawn, she said. Or the moron, the lawn moron.

Lydia Davis (American, born 1947) writes stories and translates French literature. "A Mown Lawn" appears in her Samuel Johnson Is Indignant: Stories.

Comments

And "one long mown lawn" here too Merry - can't cut at the moment as all too dry ! but we will back at it when the rains come. Great fun this play of words.

Oh dear, Enid. Dry in England. I believe here in Ohio we must have your rain. I would like to share!

Normal rainfall in Ohio in April is 3.5 inches. 8.59 inches fell. March was wet, and May has been wet, one storm after another (five tornadoes in Ohio in the past week but fortunately little damage).

Last year at this time in Ohio, 90% of the corn (maize) crop had been planted. This year only 11% of the corn crop has been planted.

The lawn, though, is doing very well. I sit and watch it grow. I, the lawn moron.

Some rain here at last Merry ! Must have come across the Atlantic - for which we are very grateful - grass at last has recovered. (p.s. - would be lovely to recover too !).

Blog entry information

Author
Merry
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Merry