• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From My Commonplace Book - 17

SciFaiku

by Tom Brinck

after the rockets
* * * * depart ... a resistor*
* * * * on the windowsill*

Bathing*
her reptilian skin --*
small bubbles on glossy green.*

summer heat:*
your brainslug*
abruptly loses its grip*

birth defect:*
he comes out kicking, screaming,*
and invisible*

Weightless * * * * I struggle with my tie

Telepath*
* * * * shudders as I pass

cryogenics:*
a light frost on her lips

emerging*
from our secret furnace:*
* * the first android of the revolution*

Thru empty windows*
of abandoned skyscrapers,*
just a butterfly...*

dew*
behind the glass eye*
of the android soldier*

* * * * neuronal stimulation:*
young monk trades minds*
* * * * with a sparrow*

a child drops violet petals*
on the palms*
of the robot Buddha*

Tom Brinck laid out the principles of writing minimalist science fiction poetry in his SciFaiku Manifesto in 1995. Read the Manifesto and more SciFaiku at

http://www.scifaiku.com/index.html

Because of the formatting limitations of this blog the spacing in Tom's poems, copied and pasted from the website, shows up as asterisks.

Comments

Interesting poems Merry - Sci-Fi and Haiku - I do like the one of the child dropping violet petals into the hands of the Buddha and the monk and the sparrow (such a happy bird) too. Do you ever write your own poetry ?

L'engle;bt4635 said:
Interesting! My brain slug does lose its grip in summer heat. :p

Your brain slug! My sluggish heart goes out to you, L'engle.

Enid;bt4640 said:
Interesting poems Merry - Sci-Fi and Haiku - I do like the one of the child dropping violet petals into the hands of the Buddha and the monk and the sparrow (such a happy bird) too. Do you ever write your own poetry ?

Enid, I truly appreciate you taking time to respond to my blog entries. Yes, I write poetry. I have posted three of my poems in the blog. Do you write? You have a degree in fine arts - or did I dream that?

Yes indeed Merry I did Fine Arts at Uni many years ago and enjoy them all (classical music especially - it's 24hrs here so was good company over early days of sleepless nights). I will much enjoy reading your 3 poems. Came across an unknown (to me) Confucius aphorism which brought a big smile today - (despite aching old bod and recalling the days of not knowing where I was). I hope it brings an even extra smile to your face.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Sorry to hear you have been in pain.

Thanks for the Confucian aphorism. It did make me smile.

Blog entry information

Author
Merry
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Merry