• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

if you can't focus on reading

I have a hard time reading longer things.

I have had great success with getting books on tape/cd. Also listening to radio shows online, when my eyes need a break from movies. I also listen to regular radio shows on the PBS station....

Here are some favorites:

Audiobooks:

The Cat Who.... series, Liilian Jackson Braun
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, Alexander McCall Smith
Scotland Street Series, A.M-S.
Agatha Raisin and Hamish MacBeth mysteries, MC Beaton

- they all allow a bit of a chuckle here and there -

www.mysteryshows.com
you have to pay a little money, but you can listen forever!!! radio shows vary in sound quality, because some go back many decades!

Comments

you can also get a program called textaloud! which turns any text on the computer (which can be copied or pasted) to speech.

just download the program utorrent ( which is free)
search textaloud! on www.thepiratebay.org and click on the one with the most "seeders". Once you get to that webpage just click "download this torrent". the program will do the rest for you automatically

what's great about the authors mentioned, is that the narrators' voices "verbal acting" is really great....

Hi Nico. Happy to see that you, like me, are a mystery fan! A lot of the ones I read are perhaps a bit "grittier" than those you listed, though... Thought I'd mention an author I enjoy, who's not all about the action and graphic stuff: Deborah Crombie. She's from texas, I think, but writes about a Scotland Yard detective and his partner and their kids. I find that she writes with a lot of heart and feeling. The first one I read was "All Shall Be Well"-- I really like her style.

And since you like them with humor-- have you tried Janet Evanovich? Very funny, but also suspenseful.

Happy reading!
Emmanuelle
Also-- I LOVED "Bean Trees"-- wonderful!

Thanks Emmanuelle.... I hope to remember to re-read your posting so that I can explore some new authors. Bean Trees was so well written/crafted. Did you find time to continue with the follow-up: Pigs in Heaven.... Taylor and Turtle's story continues :)

Blog entry information

Author
Nico
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Nico