• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A More Simplistic Life

Two years ago, a little Winter Wren started frequenting our camp. We often see them in the bushes in the woods, flitting from one spot to the next without ever a having a care for the giant who stands watching them. They are so small, other than hummingbirds they are one of the smallest birds we have locally. Yet they are also the bravest. As though they trust themselves and their own abilities to escape danger much more than the larger, often times more clumsy, sparrows and juncos.

The wee one who became our regular visitor during winter a couple years ago was a small bit of joy every day. It did not matter what we were doing, when he came around we would pause life for a moment while we watched his beauty.

He moved on during that next summer as bugs became more plentiful and easy to find. We briefly saw him again in the fall but then he disappeared one day. We would allow the spiders to make homes in the corners knowing the wren would find them a tasty snack. But eventually, we had to start clearing them out ourselves and accept that our friend was not coming back. This made us sad because of how easily it could mean he was no longer alive. Old age, a predator, starvation, or the elements could all have taken such a small being.

winterwren.jpg

Now and then we would see a wren in camp and always wonder if he had found his way back to us, but when the little bird would only briefly stay and look in the obvious places for bugs, we knew it was just another traveler passing through. Time passed and we stopped looking.

A couple days ago another wren came through camp. It did not stay long before flying away. Then we saw it again later that same day. This was new; they dont usually come back twice, not since our wee friend left. Then there were two of them at the same time, both looking for bugs and double checking where each had just been, that a morsel was not left behind.

You learn personalities of birds when near them enough. Based on this, I can say that the second one has not come back through having only found the remains of the first ones feasts. But the first wee wren we saw that day has been back many times since.

He visits at least twice each day, hopping around and eying every surface under our tarp for prey. At times we are treated to some amazing acrobatics as he snatches a bite to eat. Jeremys monitor is beside an open window in our tent and our bird has found this to be a good resting spot for spying around inside. Never any fear from him, you can see this when he looks right at you from atop the monitor.

As with our first wren, this one also is learning all the spots bugs hide that the other, less curious wrens always miss. I love watching him hop around on the outside of the tent, his antics when he spots something but it turns out to be on the opposite side of some screening and out of his reach. Sometimes his little feet will make small scratching noises on the nylon walls as he scales the side seams of the tent. A quizzical look will appear on his face at times, as he peers around looking for his dinner. You can almost see his thoughts If I were a spider, where would I hide?

I do not think this is the same Winter Wren we had two years ago, but I am very quickly finding myself growing fond of the newcomer to our home. I am looking forward to my wee friends visit today and the bit of peace he brings. That ability to take me out from my own world and step into his much more simplistic life for a few minutes.
Reactions: rosie26

Comments

Lisa, you paint a lovely picture of your experiences and observations of your friendly wrens. I can clearly see and feel what you mean. As an ardent lover of nature I really appreciated this piece of writing. We have similar experiences here with our resident wallaby. I can sometimes see it grooming itself as I type away at the computer. It lifts my spirits and gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Thanks for sharing,
Snez

Hi Snez! :)

I love watching the various forest critters groom themselves. A quick scratch behind the ear or as I saw one squirrel doing today, grabbing his tail forwards and making it more bushy! lol

Thanks for reading my story Snez. :)

Lisa

Blog entry information

Author
Lisa
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Lisa