• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Words Rendered / Pictures Taken / Music Made

I guess I'm not sleeping. Literally. My friend and neighbor Dora keeps waking me up by shouting out loud into the night. Okay then, it's not night time anymore, but the sun has not yet risen, however - I do see a pale blue hue beyond my window pane.

Speaking of pain, I'll choose not to go on and on and into any related issues. We all have issues. Fortunately, mine are intermittent.

So instead of outright ugliness, I will inform you in regards to things that are happening in and around the nursing home village. Oh joy! Right?

Christian's on Wheels

Starting off, I socialized with a male human being last night as I was staking out the traffic below. I was simply lingering longer atop the pedestrian overpass as the orange glowing ball of sun sunk below the horizon.

Christian (his name) came gliding upwards and upon me riding his $1900 battery powered skateboard. I could immediately tell he wanted to talk. He wanted to talk about things unspecified. So we broke into conversation via small talk. As am I, he is a bike trail expert. Theme de Yoyo.

Wait, what?

"Theme de Yoyo" is a song I very much enjoy. And there's a particular jazz/rock rendition I prefer, a cover covered by a combination of bands (Motorcycho + the Jaga Jazzist Horns). If I remember, I will provide a link to the song.

Warning: the horns can get kind of loud and chaotic now and again

Anyway, Christian was suffering from an injured wrist as a result of a violent fall a few weeks prior. The problem being, he was wearing a bandage wrapped too tight, partially cutting off circulation. And no, he's got no medical insurance, so he never got x-rays or any related treatment. So, we discussed medical matters in regards to blood flow and the possibility of purple fingertips.

For some reason, he started freaking out, despite my reassurances. And that's the way the rest of the conversation unraveled.

Ambidexterity

Well okay, I didn't even know that was a word. And really, I have nothing to offer in regards to the utilization of multiple limbs by taking advantage of advanced adaptive coordination. Instead, I will tell you about my music. And really, playing piano and keyboards requires left and right hand action. So I guess in a sense, I am ambidextrous.

So briefly, and on that topic, I'm working on an epic tune that's a super crazy 66 minutes long, thus far. But really, I'll likely end up breaking it into smaller parcels. I can't expect anyone to listen to 66 minutes of anything I do, much less 6 minutes. Or 6 seconds. My aural creations don't have that much pull. I'd like to fool myself into believing my music-making does, but nope, it does not.

Hair Apparent

Just for fun, I've been making greater efforts in cutting and maintaining my own hair. And the thing now is that I've been layering the follicles. That's something I hadn't done in nearly a decade, because really, there'd been no point in doing anything with my hair considering the fact I was laying flat in bed for seven consecutive years, 24 hours a day, with no visitors.

Additionally, the people who have been showering me feel as though my hair is getting healthier. Which means, perhaps, my nutritional investment is reaping the rewards. Or not. Perhaps people just say things, just because.

Anyway, what I'm thinking, and what I'm asking… should I change my avatar, my profile picture here on Phoenix Rising?

My worry in doing so?

Well, I'm worried that I look kind of healthy. I mean, that's what people tell me. Besides the excess weight loss and those sorts of things. And also having no muscle tone. And the rest of the telltale signs of illness related unwellness. But besides those things, I somehow appear to be healthy, at least to others.

The point being? Should I change my profile picture, or not? I'll let you guys vote. I know it's not important, in the grand scheme of things, but let's have some fun with this, shall we?

Light Bright / Glow Flow

In case you were wondering, yes, I am still awake. Although my words are likely not inspiring or motivating, at least up and unto this point.

So it's probably time I move forward and post recent pictures taken out and about and very nearby.

Cold Fading Sun

IMG_20230306_173230__01__01.jpg

A Cast of Clouds

IMG_20230221_163912__01.jpg

Snow-capped McDowell Mountains (8 miles away)

note: Mayo Clinic Hospital to the right

IMG_20230302_135549__01__01.jpg

Instamatic Panoramic

IMG_20230302_135612__01.jpg

Mountains to the North (16 miles away)

IMG_20230302_135418__01.jpg

Cloud Draped McDowell's

IMG_20230213_171308__01.jpg

Thanks for tuning in!

Please be well :)
Howard

Comments

Regardless whether you change your avatar or not, I bet we want an updated photo of you.
If our roads should cross one day, it would be terrible if we didn’t recognise you :wide-eyed:

Hi Howard.......Why not just take a pic of your face & of, course, your hair. A perm will make it look like you have more of it if that's your concern. On the other hand, it could also leave you with less depending on the hairdresser.

Nice pics....did you ever hike or climb one of the mountains (not lately, I don't mean). Have you heard from Sunshine 44....she MIA, folks. Yours, Lenora

Dora keeps waking me up by shouting out loud into the night. Okay then, it's not night time anymore, but the sun has not yet risen, however - I do see a pale blue hue beyond my window pane.

Maybe she's not functional enough for this suggestion but does she have a cell phone where she could just text you instead maybe. I wonder even if you could set up some kind of auto messaging so it would reassure her you are still around. ??? IDK...I'm not techy enough to know if there is such a thing.

Ok................I'll vote. My vote is for a new updated avatar! You could show us a variety of pics and we can help you decide? (or not).

Also, I would love to hear more stories about people that you meet when you are out and about............if you have any. Re: Christian.........I didn't know there were battery powered skateboards but I"m not surprised. I've been seeing videos of a little french bulldog skateboarding that keep popping up. So cute!

As always................I love it when you check in and give us updates and share your photographs.:) Sending big hugs

Last edited:
If our roads should cross one day, it would be terrible if we didn’t recognise you

Yes indeed, that's a valid reason and then some. I just wish the damn selfie types of self portraits weren't so darned large. It's weird thinking my face will be pasted across screens far and near. Mostly far. Lol

Hi Howard.......Why not just take a pic of your face & of, course, your hair. A perm will make it look like you have more of it if that's your concern. On the other hand, it could also leave you with less depending on the hairdresser.

Nice pics....did you ever hike or climb one of the mountains (not lately, I don't mean). Have you heard from Sunshine 44....she MIA, folks. Yours, Lenora

Oh, I've got plenty of darned hair. It's just that it used to be healthy wavy thick hair, instead of thin brittle weak and straw colored. Well, dirty straw. From the bottom of the barnyard.

Hiking? Yes.
I have traversed the two least elevationally challenged McDowell Mountain humps, the furthest south, basically out of the picture.

The first time it happened when I was 20 years old. My friends and I were all drinking and they said that once we got drunk we would climb to the top at 3:00 in the morning. I told them it was a stupid idea and I wouldn't do it. Of course, when the time came, I was aiming to one up the group. All of them except one other chickened out. So we made our way up top.

And that's when the police showed up. Everyone down at the bottom got arrested for underage consumption and possession of alcohol.

We tried to warn our friends, as we saw them coming from a couple of miles away down a dirt path, but they couldn't hear our voices shouting down from above.

We also took promotional band photos upon that same mount later in the year, and I almost got taken out by a rattlesnake coiled beneath my legs. I have a picture of it somewhere.

I also climbed an adjacent peak that was a lot higher. By myself. In late spring. 100° fahrenheit. I was a big dumb idiot. I was also angry. I was trying to prove a point. I did bring a gallon of water - which was smart.

The next time I did it I was even dumber than the first time. I had been drinking alcohol and unintentionally absorbed a Jumping Cholla in my left foot. Right through my shoe.

So yeah.

Ok................I'll vote. My vote is for a new updated avatar! You could show us a variety of pics and we can help you decide? (or not).

Okay then. I will provide at least one picture image for avatar consuming. And perhaps if I can find a couple of others I may do that as well. But I think that would look kind of funky with a bunch of pictures of me embedded within my blog effort. So maybe I'll just post it within the comments here >

And that's a good idea, in regards to the people I meet out there in the real world. Due to recent circumstances regarding my difficulties I haven't been as social as I had been previously. But I am making notes, taking note, assessing situations, and I am open to detailing experiences. :)

Thank you for the well wishes

Maybe she's not functional enough for this suggestion but does she have a cell phone where she could just text you instead

Normally, I would say that's a great idea. I do have her extension, so I can call her. But I really don't want her calling me at all hours. Also, she's 88 years old doesn't know how to text. This morning she was calling out for help for 45 minutes. And at least half of that time she's calling out my name. And at the time, I was stuck in bed dealing with difficulties, and could not respond.

Really, she should be in a dementia unit, but insurance hasn't graded her as being severe enough. Plus, she would be devastated if she were away from me. She insists we should get an apartment together. :-(

And hey, since I'm on here and you're on here, is it a TENS unit that stimulates the vagus nerve? I think I'm going to need to purchase one, long story, but I believe my vagus nerve is seriously on the fritz. Thx :)

Really, she should be in a dementia unit, but insurance hasn't graded her as being severe enough. Plus, she would be devastated if she were away from me.

Aww...that poor lady. :(

And hey, since I'm on here and you're on here, is it a TENS unit that stimulates the vagus nerve? I think I'm going to need to purchase one, long story, but I believe my vagus nerve is seriously on the fritz. Thx :)

I think some people here do use certain TENS models that way with special ear clips. They were talking about it recently in one of these threads and say it has to be a unit that you can set up a certain way. I don't think the unit I have would do that. :(
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/pages/google-search/

Also be careful though because someone else mentioned damaging their vagus nerve with a TENs unit in this thread: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/very-high-morning-cortisol.89394/

Last edited:
Rats, I should have checked that link I posted. There was a whole page of threads showing when I did the google search using "TENS" and "7000." When I copied the link it didn't carry the search results into the link. :(
(Told you I wasn't techy.)

Here is a different non-google page. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/search/791454/?q=tens+7000&o=date

Hopefully, those will clarify. I would look at the threads that mention things like "cycle" and "pulse amplitude."

I think that's where they were saying what the unit needs to be able to do.

So embarrassed. I sometimes remember to go back and test the links again...but often in a delayed ADHD way like I did this time. :xeyes:

Yikes. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
@Judee

Based upon what I've read based upon the links you sent me based upon the Phoenix Rising contingent, I'm leaning towards purchasing the following:

Screenshot_20230311-114915.jpg

If anything, that's a modestly affordable mistake if it doesn't work. :)
Thx

You're mighty chatty today, Howard. Yes, that's a good thing and I hope all of the above bits and pieces will work. Please keep us informed.

Poor Dora! I'm surprised that she remembers your name, Howard. Does she do the same thing during the daytime, or is it just in the wee hours?

Those mountains seem to have a lot of snakes....the same thing happened to a friend of ours. Someone told him he had body odor (which was true) and he got mad and hiked a mountain in the dark. Body odor and all ended up in the hospital. He did clean up after that little episode.

Well, I don't know what to suggest for your hair except a change in your feeding(s). Perhaps you need different vitamins and minerals. Do you have a conditioner? That may help, but don't use too much & don't put in near your scalp. Rinse well. Good luck....I'm sure you'll be handsome in your picture. Tammy will help in the decision.

Have you heard from Sunshine? Yours, Lenora

If anything, that's a modestly affordable mistake if it doesn't work. :)

Why don't you ask on one of those threads if that unit and ear clips will work, just to be sure, 'cause they're also saying something about EMS and needing the dual function. ????? Idk.

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Howard