• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Worst 22 Minutes in Nursing Home History

Please keep in mind that I missed the brunt of everything - but this is exactly what was happening at 3:03 p.m. (Mountain Standard Arizona Pacific Daylight Savings Time) during the brief 22 minutes that I spent in-house.

My neighbor and friend (Dora) was borderline hysterical, calling out my name repeatedly in the midst of another panic attack, because… Room 123 had been crying out all day long, as though someone was repeatedly murdering her, which in turn kept Dora on edge, physically exhausted, and exceedingly paranoid.

In the past two weeks, the escalation of Room 123's calling out and freaking out has been ever increasing, by volume and frequency.

Meanwhile, not very far away (at the nurses station), an angry resident from Room 106 spent the entirety of her time yelling at the nursing staff, explaining how she was going to get everybody fired (among other threats). It was a non-stop (and possibly never ending) tirade. Not only was this woman fully coherent and mentally functioning, she was also mean and cruel as hell.

Then of course, there's old man in Room 124. I missed that action. Directly. But he lost it as well, becoming over-the-top angry because Room 123 wouldn't shut the hell up. So he viciously attacked the nurse on duty. Verbally, I mean. He attacked her ethics. Her ethnic standing. Yep, you name it, and it got attacked.

And sure, all of these things are terrible, but what sent me back outdoors for the rest of the evening was the neighbor across the hallway in room 120. She's not deaf, just angry. And not only does she yell at the staff members just the same, she listens to Fox News (24/7) at obscene volumes. Her husband spends much of the day visiting with her, keeping her company, and making requests. Of course, he enjoys the same obscene volume levels.

I guess Room 120 had a stroke. She's not that old. And he's not either. But clearly, they are both angry or dissatisfied about something. Probably their own lives.

So it wasn't just the 22 minutes of disintegration that was in question, it was earlier, as well - long before the sun rose Dora was crying out for help, my help. That set the table, apparently.

So for me personally, I spent all my time outdoors basking in the glory of Arizona's winter sun. Due to the legality of it all, I can't tell you where I went, and what I did, but rest assured, I went far enough away to escape the bad vibes.

Mind you, it was a lot worse for the nursing staff and it was for me. I had the ability to escape. They did not. So they cried. Now and again. They tried to hold back their tears, but failed. The number of dementia patients now residing in our non-dementia unit is troubling, but it's the fully coherent residents, the ones who are just plain mean, that make things borderline impossible. At least, that's how the nurses assess the situation. That's when it hurts most, the vicious attacks. And I don't know how these nurses put up with these sorts of things.

Although yesterday was an outlier, the nurses and other staff members mentioned that this was the worst day ever. And I would concur, based on my nearly year and a half here at the nursing home.

Giving (Almost)

I was going to sneak off to Walgreens and purchase small gifts for the two nurses, something to ease their pain and sorrow. Their sadness. But at the time I was too discombobulated to process properly, and I couldn't come up with something to get them. And then afterwards, it occurred to me - I could have purchased a couple of Hallmark cards. You know, something to acknowledge their pain and suffering.

So yeah, I tried to cheer one of them up. Or at least, let her talk out her piece. And she started crying while she was talking to me. It really sucked. At least she's off today. It's time for her to recover.

Now It's Today

The registry CNA came barging into my room, despite the sign on my door requesting that no one barge into my room until after 8:00 a.m. But these days, people cannot read. So I think I'll have to decorate my door in emojis. Yes, emojis! I am flipping serious!

So if anyone can suggest the proper emojis that would indicate my wish and desire not to be disturbed between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please submit your ideas and/or answers.

Last night's CNA kept coming into my room without even knocking on my door. And it's not like I was doing anything to be embarrassed about, or anything particularly private, but I do appreciate a knock. And when she came in, the first and only thing she said was "what do you want?"

Yes, clearly I was bothering her. I bothered her twice within the same shift. The details don't matter much, but what the hell, right?

Eh, I won't go on complaining. I won't go on complaining despite the fact that they closed off the shower room across the hallway from me (so they could put that politically obsessed nut ball in the room across the way). Now our entire unit needs to share the shower located in Unit Two. And so you know, I think they're official designation is Sunset.

Without going into details, it took me an hour and a half to get into the shower yesterday. Of course, I have a solution to the problem. Perhaps I'll explain later. When I feel like it. If I feel like it.

Agenda

It's going to be 75 perfectly beautiful degrees here in the desert today. And also tomorrow. So I shall be out there, exclusively. Roaming. Or perhaps, stationary. It's the weekend. I'm going to do what I want to do.

On Sunday I'll be going to Walmart to pick up my prescription glasses. I made my official request to be allowed off-property back on Tuesday (via email), and no one has responded. And no one has responded to my previous five off-property requests. I'm really not sure what that means, but I keep going to my off property destinations and nobody says anything. I almost feel as though they are allowing me off-property in order to give me enough rope to hang myself. Is that the Loose Noose Theory?

Or perhaps they've decided to let me do as I please, choosing to look the other way. Maybe they're afraid I'm going to leave, and they'll lose revenue. Really, I don't know, and I don't care. As long as I can do what I need to do.

Either way, today will be a better day, for all parties involved. Unless some of the parties die. Then again, these individuals would no longer be suffering.

Everything Ends

Take care,
Howard

IMG_20230207_111916__01.jpg

Comments

I can only imagine the noise and upset in the nursing home. My mother used to buy pizza for the staff each evening....and probably abused them during the day.

I'm sure they look at you and your room as a refuge, Howard. Imagine all of those people behaving that way and having to tolerate it? Exactly what do these patients expect the staff to do. They're working people who certainly don't make the decisions. I was in an "ordinary hospital" and used to have the nurses escape to my room because things were normal. So, you aren't alone although I never heard all of the uproar. I guess there are many ways of being abusiv.

It sounds like they're out of room in the dementia unit(s). People (meaning us, for example) don't like having these patients sedated, but sometimes it's the only way to have any sort of order. Personally, I'd rather be in another world than putting myself and others through this mayhem.

Yes, it's highly possible that they're "giving you enough rope to hang yourself" as you put it. I would hate to see that happen. What happened to the smoking crowd in the courtyard (at least you're allowed there). True, they've probably all moved along but I'm sure there are replacements.

As hard as it must be to keep meeting and losing people over and over again, that may be your only recourse. A least it's a legitimate outing. You have to think of your future.

That was a very nice thought you had...buying a card for the beleaguered
people yelled at by the "normal" patients. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Walmart sells cards also. Of course prejudice is always special isn't it? Creeps. Perhaps they should hand out earplugs to those who complain.....anything to stop them.

I am botanically impressed with that sunflower @Howard.

I didn't use to understand the magic of Cosmic Geometry. And then you stare at these long enough, you just keep spinning and disappearing into the tiny flower buds.

Rather unusual: the groups of three flower heads. I wonder what this is? an Arizona mystery.

I famously was involved in the discovery of an entirely new species of sunflower thats not unlike what you posted and I got one picture on a slide of it. I was not famous for finding it, but I fought to save the spring it lives in for 15 years.

I was a warrior. And then I had to stop fighting wars.
______

My daughter and I are now the investigators for local Skilled Nursing Facilities: for my husband, for ongoing stroke recovery.

Altho I"m very very tired, I read to her, outloud: the drama that unfolded on the worst day (in recent history), including room 123, 124 and isn't room 1408 also involved?

Suffice it to say that...options are laugh or cry. Laughing seemed like a better plan.

We really need to start working on drafting the Sit Com....and your our LEAD WRITER.

"So if anyone can suggest the proper emojis that would indicate my wish and desire not to be disturbed between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please submit your ideas and/or answers."

put a hannibal lecter image on your door and your desire for fresh meat between 11-8 ... maybe it helps.

" she listens to Fox News (24/7) at obscene volumes."
could have been worse, be glad its not CNN or MSNBC :D

i also live in a nursing home, and lets be honest, the staff, some at least, have it coming!
they rip of people like 4000 $ a month and treat them like trash.
so sorry no sorry if the patients in the house fight and bite back, its the only thing they can do.
you speak from a perspective were you could leave the area... others cannot. i cannot. and i need to suffer everyday from relentless perfurme and smoke attacks by the staff which just cannot understand that asthma isnt just a joke people make up. i do not get understanding nor support from staff at all.
i also see staff screaming at people for no reason and treating people really bad. i am still shocked by the disregard for human life by these people who claim to work with people to make them a better life.
also what the kitchen sometimes thinks is "food" is beyond me.

we once had a intern, young girl, quite good looking... but she always had this very annoyed and demotivated behaviour. it was annoying. as i am also relatively young we bonded a bit. she always complained about how unfriendly the people are in the nursing home. she didnt understand that people were mirroring her. even i did send her sometimes out because i couldnt stand her attitude.
and then there are really nice heartopen people which also get treated back better. respect is both sides.

Last edited:
P.S. I should add that my mother was no angel herself, trust me. One minute she would be telling the woman in a bed next to her (in a coma) to "shut-up and would be throwing things at her," followed up by carefully covering her up when she was up and about. I finally just gave up.

Really, sometimes there is absolutely no reasoning with people, there just isn't. We have to remember that most of them can't help what they're doing and try to be decent humans among the mayhem.

I would say that it's true that these homes are understaffed, but then that has been the case for not just nursing homes but hospitals going back 50+ years. We were expected to show up in freshly laundered and ironed uniforms also, unlike the human looking dust mops of today. (Not all, of course, but enough that you notice).

If we live long enough, it's a cross that we're all going to have to bear. I have no answer to the problem. Family care is best and then the families are used as the caretakers even when someone is in a nursing home. Lenora

Last edited:
we once had a intern, young girl, quite good looking... but she always had this very annoyed and demotivated behaviour. it was annoying.

younger people can be quite clueless. I certainly was. (and they can also be wonderful).

@Howard asked: "So if anyone can suggest the proper emojis that would indicate my wish and desire not to be disturbed between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please submit your ideas and/or answers."

I have an idea. Somebody sends you one of those rubber door stoppers. The rubber wedge. And maybe it could be retrofitted with a pull rope. So somehow you ...jam that stopper into your door around 11 pm and don't pull it out until around 8 am.

A new button will need to be installed at nurses station: Howard locked himself in.......

younger people can be quite clueless. I certainly was. (and they can also be wonderful).

@Howard asked: "So if anyone can suggest the proper emojis that would indicate my wish and desire not to be disturbed between 11:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. please submit your ideas and/or answers."

I have an idea. Somebody sends you one of those rubber door stoppers. The rubber wedge. And maybe it could be retrofitted with a pull rope. So somehow you ...jam that stopper into your door around 11 pm and don't pull it out until around 8 am.

A new button will need to be installed at nurses station: Howard locked himself in.......

the rubber stopper is quite a clever solution. probably its not allowed because personal cannot come in in an emergency.
he could put the stopper like 20cm / 10in from the door, so it opens a little... but the staff will walk with their heads right into the door due to abrupt stopping of that door. leaves the room still accessible in emergency.
thats actually a bit of violence, but if he puts a warning sign on the door, its self inflicted pain.. so not his problem.
i also think its violence by the staff, because they DO KNOW , but they choose to ignore the patients wishes knowingly, because it fits their coziness.

but it will definitely spark some discussion , and maybe that will actually fix the problem.

if thats the goal there are other ways to annoy the staff. like a loud intrusion detector kicked of by motion.

"younger people can be quite clueless. I certainly was. (and they can also be wonderful)."
in her case i believe its just not the right job for her. she was also pretty smart, i could give her tasks others could not do because they were not thinking.
we have other young people which do actually a pretty nice job , at least with attitude and willingness to help.

he could put the stopper like 20cm / 10in from the door, so it opens a little... but the staff will walk with their heads right into the door due to abrupt stopping of that door. leaves the room still accessible in emergency.

I think that modification might work. The rubber door stopper, out about ten inches, would stop them long enough for them to notice the note and read it.

Patient Requires Uninterrupted Sleep 11 pm- 8 am.

Signed Dr. X.

It's 4:18 in the morning and I awaken to a balmy 80° in my room, again, third night in a row. Someone out there is f****** with me. At least now I figured out to leave my window partially open overnight. What matters most, is determining how much cold air I will allow to flow inward and upon me.

@lenora "I can only imagine the noise and upset in the nursing home."

I shouldn't really complain, as I haven't had a roommate for probably 40% of the time in the past calendar year. And compared to the other units, this had always been the quietest hallway. But now? No, that's not the case.

The loud ones will move along eventually and be replaced by quiet ones. I hope. But that does seem to be the natural progression of things.

@Rufous McKinney "I am botanically impressed with that sunflower"

I am also impressed, but did not know that it's a sunflower I was photographing.

And really, I think there's a romcom drama adventure somewhere in this nursing home, somewhere floating around in my brain. The essence of it. The nuts and bolts. Perhaps even Richard's gears.

Yes, everyday has the makings.

@Tammy "….holding on to the vision of when you find a different place to live."

Thanks for holding on to that vision.

On one hand, I enjoy having the built-in audience (here at the nursing home). On the other, I resort to busy work (thinking) far too often, rather than practicing mindfulness.

So yeah, calmness would likely be beneficial overall.

@linusbert "…patients fighting back"

Yes, I understand why the residents act out. I myself act out as well, just differently. I want freedom, the ability to roam and control my own destiny. Meanwhile, the other residents simply want their diapers changed. Or the remote control on their TV located. Or they have dementia, and are being treated poorly or inappropriately.

I'm sorry you're also living in a nursing home situation. Only a year and a half ago, I was stuck in bed (day and night) in an untenable situation.

Of course, I get treated differently than everybody else

The rubber door stopper idea is amusing. But it's true that staff wouldn't go for that resolution. And they'd likely assume I was doing something in here I shouldn't be doing, trying to hide out, as it were.

All right then, I've got it down to 76° in here now. I'm afraid to open the window any further, as the rain is due sometime this morning. I think. Or the high winds. 40 plus miles per hour. A dusty desert days on tap.

Today's revelation: It seems these skilled nursing facilities don't really want my husband.

but did not know that it's a sunflower I was photographing.

You probably did in fact sort of know that. It's considered mandatory to grasp that sunflowers are a plant family we used to call COMPOSITE).

They are a collection of many many individual flowers all in one location. And then the famous Big Sunflower make sunflower seeds.

I think there's a romcom drama adventure somewhere in this nursing home, somewhere floating around in my brain.

RomComs are always a winning formula. Goes back to long long ago, think oh Lancelot and Guinevere and King Arthur (or is that a love triangle?).

the Friends formula probably would not work for a nursing home Sit Com.

the Seinfeld formula - Kramer comes and goes.

I will always think of the nursing home from Cloud Atlas, where criminal abuse cannot be tolerated and Break Outs and escapes happen.

Maybe your actual character: the anomalous resident in his reclining chair, is the only one who can break out.

The rubber door stopper idea is amusing.

Do you need a larger sign on the door? Bigger fonts? More emphatic warnings?

Maybe your actual character: the anomalous resident in his reclining chair, is the only one who can break out.

Indeed. That's almost just about totally the case here.

And then of course, I am the only one with a link to the real outer world… The Bike Path People!

There is a guy named Roger, who sneaks out to the car wash every few days, so he can buy cigarettes. His escape is so slow no one can actually visibly see him in the midst of his departure. So most of the time, he's successful in his quest to attain cigarettes, despite being an amputee and manually rolling slow as molasses - although, he doesn't talk much, doesn't have much to say.

Outside of him, non-residential bike path characters must include: The Jesus Girls, GI Mayo Nurse, Marsha Lunch-Walker, Whiz by Biker, The Pink Bike Lady, Sketched Out Heroin Dude…

And indoors, we've got: Nurse Narcs A Lot, Sweaters to the Kneecaps Woman, Pretty Blonde Lunchroom Girl (now featuring: Mother Resident and Brother Dishwasher), The Married Aggravators, Love-aide #6, Muhammad the Maintenance Man, and The Courtyard Smoking People!

So yeah, we've got characters. But that makes sense... your concept - I am the only link between the inner and outer worlds. So of course, my transition from one realm to the other has dire consequences for my health. Or perhaps, that's the reason for my slow slow recovery… which is now stagnant. Which has now stagnated? Well, you know what I mean. :)

IMG_20230213_171308__01.jpg

which is now stagnant. Which has now stagnated? Well, you know what I mean. :)

Yes, I do!!

and is there more to the story of Love- aide #6?

My husband, now captured by the medical system in the chapter called Skilled Nursing (I guess thats wrong, he hasn't gotten that far yet.) ...he used to be known affectionately as "Have to Get Out Of Here".

I"m looking at his now lapsed temporary driver's license he won't be getting it renewed I suspect. Thats going to make the guy angry.

And I no longer have a chauffeur.

Good Morning, Phoenix. I'm posting a short update in the Husband Reporting thread, elsewhere here in PR.

about skilled nursing. That might differ from unskilled nursing, but I don't really know.

@Hufsamor

Hiya .. I'm on the upswing in the past few days. Stupid pain problems, but they've been far more intermittent, so I'm mostly please now. :)

I'm trying to get pain meds prescribed to me to use as needed. Codeine. Percocet. Something like that. I don't like the idea of taking pain medication, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

Other than that, I've been working on an epic song... much due to the fact that I've been in bed so often. Laying flat out creates fewer issues. Yes, sitting up right in the chair complicates matters.

At least being stuck in bed (now and again) which allows me to be more productive creatively! Of course, this epic song is 66 minutes long. YES, it's over an hour long. What the heck, right?

I hope your winter isn't too harsh. We've been really cold, compared to normal. It's a nice change of pace. Then again, I hadn't really been outside since 2014, so this is the only pace I really know. Ha!

Thanks for checking in :)

I'll probably do a blog post soon, mostly to share some pictures I've taken •••

Last Night
IMG_20230306_210659__01.jpg

Nice update, @Howard.

May the painkillers come thru. You need them infrequently but need something that actually WORKS.

(what a concept)

It must be a nice feeling to focus on your long form song.

Does it qualify as an opera?

Enjoy!

It must be a nice feeling to focus on your long form song.

Does it qualify as an opera?

Perhaps it does. Really. Because I do sing, but it's not English. It's not any language in particular. So I guess that equates to opera in some ways. At least to my ears.

But it's crazy working on such a long piece. One that's so diverse. I can't remember minute 17 from minute 54. But that's also part of the fun. Trying to make it thematic. Interrelated. Outward projected. Stuff like that. :)

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
5 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard