• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Terpenes!

So tonight. . . tonight I started myself on a terpene mix called GG4 by Floraplex. If you are into weed, you’ll probably be familiar with the “gorilla glue” strain which is supposed to make you feel glued to the couch. I don’t know much about weed or it’s variable strains. The first time I smoked weed I was 33. I’ve tried it twice since and it never had an effect on me - neither positive nor negative. I’ve tried edibles since, but at most they made me dizzy and nauseous. Bit paradoxical, eh?

Going with this stream of consciousness, I wonder if my ambivalence towards weed plays any role in my CFS. I am the only one in my very, very large family who doesn’t smoke weed on a regular (daily) basis. I am the only one with CFS. I am the only one who can’t keep up with daily chores. Well, I’m also one of the few without a record and with a job, so I don’t know - too many confounding variables. I was initially thinking of a family wide cannabinoid deficiency and my refusal to do drugs playing a part in my CFS, but really I’m a black sheep - I have nothing in common with any of them.

Back to the topic at hand: terpenes. I don’t have a firm grasp on what they are other than being extracted from plants. There are various compounds that are extracted and each have been studied for different uses. They can have anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anxiolytic, and even anti-tumor effects.

The terpene that I have read about the most on here and elsewhere is beta-caryophyllene. There is also a good deal of research on it. I came across a study from 2020 about it’s possible use for COVID for “inflammation, immunity, and infection,” (Jha et al., 2020). I didn’t read the whole article firstly because well I don’t have the cognitive stamina for it and secondly, because the conclusion section was a bit like a Big Pharma circle jerk - and I wholeheartedly hate Big Pharma.

Limonene and pinene were two other terpenes that had some research behind them. Limonene is anti-inflammatory, anxiolytic, and anti-cancer. Pinene is also anti-inflammatory and an anxiolytic, but has other properties such as being neuroprotective and it supports the respiratory system.

Searching for a blend of these terpenes led me to buy GG4, Yoda, and Cookies. I am starting with GG4 because it’s very high in beta-caryophyllene and has many other terpenes in the blend. And I would really love to feel “glued to the couch” in a relaxing way rather than in my typical “locked in syndrome can’t move my body and I’m stuck inside my brain nightmare.”

Alright down to the mixing. I have 2ml of GG4. Pure terpenes need to be diluted down to at least a 5% concentration into MCT oil, coconut oil, EVOO, or glycerin. I have a new 60ml bottle of StopLyme from Hawaii Pharm (great tinctures BTW). It’s a vegetable glycerin base. I somehow don’t have an empty bottle and dropper, so I’ll use what I have. I should note that I have had Lyme at least 3 times and I’ve been on conventional and alternative treatments for Lyme for over 3 years with no improvement - just a yearly gradual worsening of cognition and fatigue and a multitude of curiouser and curiouser symptoms every single year.

2ml GG4 into 60ml Stop Lyme (glycerin) makes a ~3% terpene concentration. I will be taking 0.5ml under my tongue every night for the next week or so. If I see any improvement then I will continue on this dose. If I see no difference I will increase to 1ml a night. If anything worsens I will decrease to 0.25ml.

That’s my plan. Two to three months on this, and if nothing improves I’ll try Mexico. Maybe a week at the Gerson Center. Something’s gotta break.489EAD4E-EB6A-489C-B77B-CC03A9842967.jpeg
Reactions: Rufous McKinney

Comments

I've added you to my Intrepid Warrior list, and am spinning the prayer wheel for you even as I write this ....

All the isolates you mention are also constituents of essential oils, among other things like cannabis ...

I'm assuming you're kidding about Mexico and the Gerson Clinic, which is dicier than a Vegas craps table, with possibly even worse odds. If you're not really kidding all that much, do some googling, if you haven't already .... you know, just in case ....

I'm assuming you've read the threads by the Caryophyllene Guy (his user name is jsut a bunch of initials that I can ever remember),who's an absolute fountain of information, experimentation, research, and knowledge of caryophyllene, which he believes if the key to beating ME ... if not it's worth hunting up ....

Good luck @Thehealthofholly and onward and upward :woot::woot: :thumbsup: :rocket::rocket::rocket: !!!!

@YippeeKi YOW !! Thank you 💛

I’m not joking about the Gerson Center in Mexico. Considering how much time, money, and pain I’ve spent on conventional medicine and alternative medicine in the US, the Gerson Center is a great deal. It’s 5k for a week of treatment with room, board, and treatment. CFS 21 day centers are upwards of 40k, my most recent estimate for a functional medicine “subscription” was 1,000 per month, not including labs or supplements - which is honestly a huge scam! I feel like I’ve been scammed by so many health “providers” who each were very pigeon holed in their views. Going somewhere for organic juices and vegan food to reset my body, makes sense to me.

As for the heated debate of enemas - I mean, really folks? They have been in use for decades. Doctors still prescribe them. I had a doctor prescribe one for me before a colonoscopy with no direction, no instructions, nothing - just a kit from a pharmacy. Then people go on about “but 3 people died from giving themselves enemas” - well, 14 people have died from water intoxication and I’m not going to stop hydrating. . .

I’m just going to continue to follow my instincts and hopefully something will work.

As a strong believer in always trying the alternative, more natural, way, whether that's vitamins, minerals, herbs, or blends of all three, or beta-caryophyllene, or lymphatic drainage .... whatever ..... before plunging into western allopathic, BigPharm medicine, it pains me to even quote this source, one that I rarely agree with. But it is food for thought ....

The Gerson protocol, cancer, and the death of Jess Ainscough, a.k.a. “The Wellness Warrior”
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-gerson-protocol-and-the-death-of-jess-ainscough/

And there's a lot more where that came from. There's a reason Gerson practices in Mexico, and it's not the climate.

Do be careful, and now that sometimes desperation can color what we think is instinct, and lead us down some pretty treacherous paths. I speak from experience not the need to preach and prance.

Whatever you decide to do, I'll keep the prayer wheel spinning for you, and happily applaud whatever successes you come up with .....

As a strong believer in always trying the alternative, more natural, way, whether that's vitamins, minerals, herbs, or blends of all three, or beta-caryophyllene, or lymphatic drainage .... whatever ..... before plunging into western allopathic, BigPharm medicine, it pains me to even quote this source, one that I rarely agree with. But it is food for thought ....

The Gerson protocol, cancer, and the death of Jess Ainscough, a.k.a. “The Wellness Warrior”
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-gerson-protocol-and-the-death-of-jess-ainscough/

Thank you for your thoughts and I definitely understand your point of view. I read that post completely, but I see a lot of flaws in his argument. Western culture is so completely anti-healthy food. It’s as if the US truly wants us all sick and reliant on expensive medications such as chemo and immunotherapy for cancer. Max Gerson was an amazing doctor. He had shown that he could cure cancer with his protocol and was asked to present it to a committee in DC. Throughout the books about his protocol it repeats multiple times that you should remain on the full protocol until the cancer is completely gone and then use a modified plan after that. That woman only stayed on the protocol for 2 years and it did stop the growth, but did not eradicate it completely. Gerson said repeatedly that if the protocol is ended before the cancer is gone it will become more aggressive.

Either way, I don’t have cancer. I believe that the US has destroyed the farm industry with capitalism. Completely destroyed our access to quality, organic, non-carcinogenic food. Even in the 1950s Gerson connected the increases in cancer/diabetes/chronic conditions to the increases in processed food. He talked about how in making farms more lucrative they moved away from the farming techniques that produced healthy food. Of course anytime I do a web search for Gerson I’m flooded with “quackery” posts.

I’ll attach a few pages from the book “The Gerson Therapy” by Gerson and Walker (2001) if you’re interested.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I"m doing b-caryophylene experimenting also. I want to carefully read thru your post...will take a while.

In terms of surviving ME, I"ve been trying an odd mix which is low tHC, about 1:1 CBD and includes Cannabis ruderalis (the third species, the Asian weed).

Initially its really relaxing and seems really nice. But then about half an hour later, my body is still inflaming /swelling/hurting worse and I 'm still can hardly see or focus my eyes so:

On to the stuff that "Glues me to the Couch"

When my very good friend found out I am experiencing ME (because she was the only person who got it, who picked up on my one line remark in an email about I am far to thin (that shifted, I gained some weight and now I'm mad about that)...

(she wrote back- "What is it Your Not Telling Me...?" and nobody else bothered)

She just went straight to the recommendation I hand myself over to the $3000 a day place that erases the cancer and this and that, via various things like, oh endlessly drinking Wheat Grass Juice (example)

I know folks who went to these places and returned, well.

Blog entry information

Author
Thehealthofholly
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Thehealthofholly