• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Le Bouvier~Chant of the Gnostics

I know more than a few of you are old souls here...
This present day life journey is bits and pieces of
many things for me,
maybe for you too....

you will know if this resonates (or does not) :heart:

This song is from the 13th/14th century and allows me to feel
an ancient sadness, hope, grief beauty and love.

"May all Cathars awaken and remember." :tulip::balanced::globe:

The original:

Quand lo boièr ven de laurar (bis)
Planta son agulhada
A, e, i, ò, u!
Planta son agulhada.

Trapa (Tròba) sa femna al pè del fuòc (bis)
Trista e (Tota) desconsolada.
A, e, i, ò, u!
Trista e (Tota) desconsolada.

Se sias (Se n'es) malauta diga z-o (bis)
Te farai un potatge (una alhada)
A, e, i, ò, u!
Te farai un potatge (una alhada)

Amb una raba, amb un caulet (bis)
Una lauseta magra.
A, e, i, ò, u!
Una lauseta magra.

Quand serai mòrta enterratz-me (rebomb-me) (bis)
Al pus fons (Al prigond) de la cròta (cava)
A, e, i, ò, u!
Al pus fons (Al prigond) de la cròta (cava)

Los pés virats (Met-me los pès) a la paret (bis)
La tèsta a la rajada (Lo cap jos la canela)
A, e, i, ò, u!
La tèsta a la rajada (Lo cap jos la canela)

Los pelegrins (E los romius) que passaràn (bis)
Prendràn d'aiga senhada.
A, e, i, ò, u!
Prendràn d'aiga senhada.

E diràn «Qual es mòrt aicí?» (bis)
Aquò es la paura Joana.
A, e, i, ò, u!
Aquò es la paura Joana.

Se n'es anada al paradís (bis)
Al cèl ambe sas cabras.
A, e, i, ò, u!
Al cèl ambe sas cabras.

translated:

When the oxherd returns from work (bis)
plants his plow on the ground.
A, e, i, o, u.
Plants his plow on the ground.

He finds his wife by the fire (bis)
sad and disconsolate.
A, e, i, o, u.
Sad and disconsolate.

"If you are ill, tell me, (bis)
so I will cook a potage for you
A, e, i, o, u.
So I will cook a potage for you.

With a radish, a cabbage (bis)
and a lean lark.
A, e, i, o, u.
And a lean lark."

"When I'm dead, bury me (bis)
in the deepest of the basement.
A, e, i, o, u.
In the deepest of the basement."

With my feet towards the wall (bis)
and my head towards the fountain.
A, e, i, o, u.
And my head towards the fountain.

When pilgrims pass by (bis)
they will take Holy Water.
A, e, i, o, u.
They will take Holy Water.

And will ask «who is buried here?» (bis)
It's the poor Joana.
A, e, i, o, u.
It's the poor Joana.

She went to the paradise, (bis)
to heaven alongside her goats.
A, e, i, o, u.
to heaven alongside her goats."

Comments

J' adore

https://www.visittewkesbury.info/things-to-do/heritage/tewkesbury-abbey/

once I visited Tewkesbury Abbey, famous for its Norman Tower and Medieval Architecture.
A service began and it was the most stunning choir I ever heard. They were singing Gregorian chant ( the oldest written recorded music in England ..

Being touched like that never leaves

oh, that had to of been a experience that went right to your bones. wow, how incredibly beautiful to imagine. Gregorian chants give me chills like none other. I can only imagine being there in person. You guys have such a history over there. Something we don't quite have in the states being relatively new'ish'. I appreciate that.

The acoustic in church's and cathedrals can be incredible..
Soprano and tenor esp ..
I remember one voice standing out especially a male ...such depth and richness .
I visited St Paul's cathedral in London so stunning, moved to tears .

Ye I know many US people appreciate the history here .... Ancient grounds and stone remains of our ancient ancestors .
In more recent yrs a whole temple and village has been discovered on the Isle of Orkney , Scotland. Ness of Brodgar .
I'd love to go there Scotland is stunning .

I'd like to visit USA too ....
New York , San Fran and the Nevada desert

Oddly enough I recently delved into the history of music. The earlier parts of it were referred to as naemes and were indeed, chants by the monks.

Now this was not written music, which followed. Today naemes are the basis for all western music.....even country. I still don't know or understand the full history of it, the written music (how did the written music occur...when?). So chants are ancient and were the first forms,

They're a form of meditation themselves and yes, the abbeys and churches of England make them very much alive. Don't miss the Oxford and Cambridge holiday music. Those adorable choir boys. Yours, Lenora

J' adore

https://www.visittewkesbury.info/things-to-do/heritage/tewkesbury-abbey/

once I visited Tewkesbury Abbey, famous for its Norman Tower and Medieval Architecture.
A service began and it was the most stunning choir I ever heard. They were singing Gregorian chant ( the oldest written recorded music in England ..

Being touched like that never leaves
Oddly enough I recently delved into the history of music. The earlier parts of it were referred to as naemes and were indeed, chants by the monks.

Now this was not written music, which followed. Today naemes are the basis for all western music.....even country. I still don't know or understand the full history of it, the written music (how did the written music occur...when?). So chants are ancient and were the first forms,

They're a form of meditation themselves and yes, the abbeys and churches of England make them very much alive. Don't miss the Oxford and Cambridge holiday music. Those adorable choir boys. Yours, Lenora
I absolutely love Gregorian chants. I am not a Christian but I love visiting cathedrals and old churches. If they have a choir, its a bonus.

yes, its quite true.

oh lenora, i get so excited for this one every Christmas, it always moves me deeply.

Blog entry information

Author
sunshine44
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from sunshine44