• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RANDOM THOUGHTS ….What, rose colored ones aren’t good enough ??!? How about green-tinted glasses for pain ???

I’ve been using blue light-blocking glasses for about 3 years now, and find that, while their contribution to a good night’s sleep isn’t a stand-alone answer, they definitely DO help. I’ve verified that by accidentally forgetting to pop them on 1 to 2 hours before trying to sleep, so I’m pretty sure about their positive contribution to that sometimes torturous enterprize.

Which is why I wasn’t entirely surprised when I came across this in NeuroScience News, and knowing how many of us deal with unpredictable and sometimes immobilizing pains and aches from time to time, if not more frequently, I thought I’d mention it here …

1666688884180.png
Quoting from the article,

Wearing special green eyeglasses for several hours a day
reduces pain-related anxiety and may help decrease the need
for opioids to manage severe pain in fibromyalgia patients
and possibly others who experience chronic pain,
according to a study being presented at the

ANESTHESIOLOGY 2022 annual meeting.

“Our research found that certain wavelengths of green light stimulate
the pathways in the brain that help manage pain,” said Padma Gulur, M.D.

Pain and anxiety share similar biological mechanisms. Additionally, fear of pain

exacerbates anxiety, often leading to increased opioid use"
Since green protective eyewear is available in many different styles and types, and of course are available on Amazon for a modest sum, including many offerings that fit over your regular prescription glasses if you wear them, it might be worth an experimental run.

Here's the link, lemme know what you think ….

Green Eyeglasses Reduce Pain-Related Anxiety in Fibromyalgia https://neurosciencenews.com/green-eyeglasses-fibromyalgia-21713/
Summary
: Using eyeglasses that filter a specific wavelength on the green light spectrum reduces pain-related anxiety and could decrease the need for opioids for those with fibromyalgia and other chronic pain conditions.

Comments

This is yet another one of those studies that falls under the category of: "How did it ever occur to them to study this??"

The simplest solutions are my favorites. And so few side effects--other than the world turning green!

Who knew? Very interesting.
Oddly, on a whim I bought a pair of protective green glasses about 2 years ago. I had no idea why, except that green is such a peaceful, healing color. .....

.... and true to this crappy little mind-tunneler of an illness, I have absolutely NO idea where they are .... so an archeological excavation will be undertaken on tha magical day " .... when I can ..." :squee::squee::squee::squee::squee:

If I ever find them again, I'll come back and let you now how they worked for me. But if you're inerested, I'd go ahead and spend the $ 8-11.00 and just get a pair ...:thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug::hug: :mug::mug::mug:

Last edited:
The simplest solutions are my favorites. And so few side effects--other than the world turning green!
Totally with you. The simpler, the more I trust it, or at least, the more I'm likely to give it a shot ....

And how much worse, I ask myself, could a green world be than the strange blend of lunacy, fear and weirdness that we're living in now :eek::eek::eek: o_O.

In spit of Kermit, I'm willing to try it. If I can just find the little bustards ....:hug:
:hug: ....

And how much worse, I ask myself, could a green world be than the strange blend of lunacy, fear and weirdness that we're living in now :eek::eek::eek: o_O.

investigating who sells green glasses.....I ran into a web site that sells every color of glasses, and each comes with an emotional component the color tends to address. so its odd we now have a study on seeing green...

.I ran into a web site that sells every color of glasses,
Because Ive found my reading glasses indispensable, I went with the kind of protective glasses that fit over my readers and kind of wrap around the sides a bit, very much like the ones in the picture I attached in my blog post.

I used to have a small collection of the kind that you're talking about, because I loved the idea that, if I felt down, I cold use the rose-colored ones, and if I felt meditative, I could use the blue ones. I have no idea where they are now ....

doing plant surveys, it was a problem to put on the Ray Bans...because the purple flowers turned red. (sounds like blue blocking)

I have an amazing pair of reading glasses here. Historically all I do is break the cheap reading glasses. This pair are wire framed, also cheap. But have lasted me about five years, and once the plastic was blue, but it faded and I keep losing them, when I toss them onto, say, the quilt. I know: I should tie a red ribbon on them then Id lose them less often.

(but wandering about looking for that one pair of glasses is a form of Fighting Back Against Gravity)

(but wandering about looking for that one pair of glasses is a form of Fighting Back Against Gravity)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol: :squee::squee: ....
That's so funny .... I do something similar, by constantly losing whatever it is I'm using most at the moment, which forces me to actually think, and then to move from room to room, swearing loudly .... great exercise for my lungs and my legs ...

Historically all I do is break the cheap reading glasses. This pair are wire framed, also cheap. But have lasted me about five years,
And again right there with you.

About 15 years ago, I bought a really cool pair or wire-framed, rectangular-shaped reading glasses. I almost didn't because they were, for the time, an expensive $15.00, about 3 times as much as all the others. But the others were dumpy, and looked like crap on me.

After the first few days, I decided that I liked them so much I wanted a second pair, you know, just in case.

So now 15 years later, I have two pairs of incredibly durable, still hip, still functional, reading glasses.

And I'm thinking, "Why didn't I buy THREE pair?" You know, just in case ...

After the first few days, I decided that I liked them so much I wanted a second pair, you know, just in case.

I keep intending to go on a special field trip to: the little Department store four blocks away, where I bought my wonderful reading glasses (which, BTW, I have stepped on many times, slept on them, dropped them...) but naively, I believe a second pair will be sitting there still, in the display case, waiting. Only its maybe six years later. Or ten......

The weak link in glasses is the stupid little screw mechanism holding them together and the pot metal. So what is the secret that the little screw etc has held up in this amazing pair?

So what is the secret that the little screw etc has held up in this amazing pair?
I wish I knew, and I agree with you .... every other pair I've had either quickly or with a little more reserve, dumped one or both of the ear-pieces. I finally went out a bought a tiny screwdriver with several different interchangeable tips and a tiny supply of equally tiny screws. And then I almost immediately discovered my Holy Grail reading glasses. I think I still have the tiny screwdriver someplace, but astonishingly, Ive never had to use it ....

Watch. Both pairs will immediately disintegrate in little piles of hinges and tiny screws and ear pieces, and I'll sink into deep, deep despair ....

ANd I won't even be able to share it here cause without those readers .... nada ....

And then I almost immediately discovered my Holy Grail reading glasses.

I just thoroughly inspected mine with a magnifying glass. No brand name of any kind survives. The screws and hinges look like the same crappy pot metal they are all made from (possibly a used Honda Civic, ground up). They are hinged (where there is a spring inside there someplace) (maybe a bit better on account of that spring).

Darn, nothing forensic remains....

Yippee - I've read about blue blockers for several years but it never occurred to me to actually DO something about it until I read your blog! I will do anything for sleep, so just ordered me a couple of pairs - thank you! :nerd:

They are hinged (where there is a spring inside there someplace) (maybe a bit better on account of that spring).
YES!!!! Ditto mine .... the ear pieces will gently snap shut pretty much by themselves. I think that's the diff between really cheap ones and ones that are faily decent.

As soon as I can drag ito the other room and get my 2n pair, I'll see if I can find any brand-name on mine, just in case they're still in business ...

PS .... I wrte this response to you yesterday aft, then found it here, in the Reply window, just now .... So now, I left yesterday's Quote in the Reply window, and now this response in the Reply window. COVID is a biatch ....

Yippee - I've read about blue blockers for several years but it never occurred to me to actually DO something about it until I read your blog! I will do anything for sleep, so just ordered me a couple of pairs - thank you! :nerd:
Oh I DO hope tht they help you as they've helped me. Like I said, they're not the total Holy Grail but at least for me, they def make a difference .... :thumbsup::thumbsup: :hug:

Blog entry information

Author
YippeeKi YOW !!
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...