• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RANDOM THOUGHTS … For those Who Love Useless Trivia, The Illustrated Little Book of Sherlock Holmes Quotations ...

I think that it’s fascinating that, while we know a whole lot about Holmes, or at least think we do, what with all the melancholy violin playing and the almost bi-polar-like depressions and the occasional reliance on the 7% solution (with Watson cluck-clucking disapprovingly in the background) and what not, most of us know next to nothing about his creator, that redoubtable Edwardian (well, semi Victorian/Edwardian) who created Holmes in all his depth and complexity, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Sir Arthur IGNATIUS Conan Doyle.

Ha!!! I’ll bet that ‘Ignatius’ thing is news, yes? More thrillingness will follow in a future blog .....

SOME FAMOUS, AND NOT SO WELL-KNOWN, HOLMES QUOTES ….

"Come, Watson, come!" he cried. "The game is afoot. Not a word! Into your clothes and come!" — Holmes, in The Adventure of the Abbey Grange …. a clarion call to all lovers of Sherlock’s adventures. It sets the pulse fluttering and the mind trying to race ahead of the action, which unfolds in initially bewildering fashion, before knitting itself up into a neat little jumper with matching knee-highs and a scarf. Possibly some little mittens.

1664913500908.png

Malingering is a subject upon which I have sometimes thought of writing a monograph— Holmes, from The Dying Detective

A brief aside …

Holmes was well-known for his many, many monographs on a wide range of subjects, ranging from the remarkable and distinctive differences in the contours, size, and shaping of the human ear, to another on the many forms of ash from sources ranging from an Egyptian cigarette versus European and British, to various cigars to a small house fire and on and on….

1664913552033.png

“There is no part of the body which varies as much as the human ear …”

1664913610414.png

When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth — Holmes to Watson, in several of the Sherlock mysteries, in this case, from The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier

And another version
We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth — Holmes, in one of the many restatements of this axiom, threading thru his stories, novels, and novellas like delicate silk embroidery. In this case, it’s from The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans

1664913638546.png

We must look for consistency. Where there is a want of it we must suspect deception — Holmes, The Problem of Thor Bridge

1664913691821.png

Come at once if convenient — if inconvenient come all the same — Holmes, in a typically imperative command from The Adventure of the Creeping Man … ….

1664913716575.png

I am an omnivorous reader with a strangely retentive memory for trifles -- Holmes, and an expression of one of the only ways in which we’re similar …. from The Adventure of the Lion’s Mane…

1664913735760.png

Education never ends Watson. It is a series of lessons with the greatest saved for the last — Holmes, in The Red Circle

1664913764192.png

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius — Holmes, The Valley of Fear
Reactions: Jyoti

Comments

Thanks, @YippeeKi YOW !! I must confess to having avoided all Arthur Conan Doyle, all of Sherlock Holmes in all his many incarnations. This has been a delightful invitation to get over myself and cultivate an acquaintance at last.

This has been a delightful invitation to get over myself and cultivate an acquaintance at last.
Thank you !!!

And as an aside, I think the two of you would really like each other .... Holmes was not an admirer of most women, but he made an exception for those with first-rate brains, and more than the usual perceptive abilities .... :hug::hug::hug:

Blog entry information

Author
YippeeKi YOW !!
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs