• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

RANDOM THOUGHTS … The Difference Between ‘Smart’ and ‘Genius’ Is Knowing When Your Tent’s Been Lifted? Really ??!!??

1664465965334.png

Did I Understand that Right ??!!??? About Knowing When Your
Tent's Been Filched??? That's IT?!!?
That’s
the difference?!??!
1664465965334.png

1664465208251.png

And off we goooooo

I totally love the little fable below, with its focus on the importance of knowing what’s …. important. Maybe that is the real diff between being reasonably smart and chock full of book-larnin’, and being a total deductive genius. Who knows?

Truthfully, I’m the last person to ask. Honestly. My mind seems to have been custom-built to shoot, immediately, down almost any inviting rabbit hole, the nearer the better, then into bolt-holes, and after that thru magical Narnia armoires, followed rapidly by losing my way totally and falling into an alternate universe, clutching a little iced caked that says “Eat Me” and a sandwich bag full of pork rinds. For the protein, you know.

1664465360055.png

The global ant population of planet Earth is larger than
all the other animals on the planet, combined … wow !!!
Who knew …. or needed to …
I mean, it’s an interesting way to live and you learn a lot of shite you otherwise wouldn’t know, but in terms of staying focused on something more potentially useful and to the point, it’s not …. ideal. And it makes problem-solving so multi-dimensional and complex that sometimes I just give up and think, “What the hell, bring on the small explosives and a back-hoe, let's straighten this out. What could possibly go wrong with that plan?”

Unfortunately, I almost always find out, and the answer generally is: “More than you obviously could have imagined, and not as effective as you might have hoped.”

Soooooo ..... not exactly Holmesian logic ....

1664465455243.png

1664465475986.png

Holmes and Watson are on a camping trip in England’s scenic Lake District.

In the middle of the night Holmes wakes up and gives Dr. Watson a nudge.
"Watson" he says, "look up in the sky and tell me what you see."

"I see millions of stars, Holmes," says Watson.

"And what do you conclude from that, Watson?"

Watson thinks for a moment. "Well," he says, "astronomically, it tells me that there are millions
of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo.
Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three. Meteorologically,
I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. Theologically, I see that
God is all-powerful, and we are small and insignificant.
Uh, what does it tell you, Holmes?"

"Watson, you idiot! Someone has stolen our tent! ― Thomas Cathcart

1664465599206.png

1664465709077.png

Where the fluck am I? Am I still
somewhere in the Milky Way ?
Speaking of Milky Ways, does anyone

have a Midnite Mars Bar?
Soooooo …. are you Holmes or Watson? Are you good at focusing, lazar-like, on the immediate problem and slogging thru til you solve it or get close to an answer of some sort, or at least were you before this fug-ugly little @ss-kicking rogue meteorite of an illness slammed you out of orbit?

Or are you more of a “Hey, that’s an interesting rabbit hole, I wonder what’s at the bottom? Or if there is a bottom. Or if it goes straight thru Middle Earth and then drops into another dimension. Let’s just jump in and see, shall we?”

Inquiring minds want to know, or at least they say they do until a shiny object draws their eye and shifts their attention, so you should probably answer quickly, or at least before everyone forgets what the question was, if they haven't already ….

WHOA!!! Was that a lace-winged dragonfly ???
1664468082306.png
Back in a minute …..

1664465841246.png
BONUS QUESTION …. Do they still make those dark chocolate Midnite Mars Bars? Or was that just a passing fad that couldn’t last, cause, you know, nothing gold can stay?

1664465930710.png
  • 1664465912920.png
    1664465912920.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 6

Comments

I am sort both types combined.

I'll disappear into any number of rabbit holes and go down long hallways and open many doors up to check out whats back in there amongst the cobwebs and dust.

But I also have strong fixer tendencies. If a problem is staring back at me, I will...get really focused on....remedies.

edited: to indicate when it comes to this ongoing Plague, I'll sometimes decide to give up altogether on remedies....

I’m the former. Would that be Holmes?

What are you?
I think that's Watson. Educated, intelligent, but without the lightening quick weirdness of Holmes. Or his cocaine addiction. I think Holmes was profoundly bored most of the time, except when the game was afoot, or playing melancholy aires on his violin, or when really really bored, shooting a little cocaine. The world is a tedious place for people that lightening quick, that observant and insightful.

I'm def NOT a Holmes. I think I'm more of a combination of Watson and Alice in Wonderland .... or maybe Moriarty, on my really cranky days :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy: .... :) :squee::squee:

I think almost everyone, other than Holmes himself who's sui generis, will be a combo of various literary icons. ...

But hey, if you feel Holmes-y, go for it !!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think that's Watson. Educated, intelligent, but without the lightening quick weirdness of Holmes. Or his cocaine addiction. I think Holmes was profoundly bored most of the time, except when the game was afoot, or playing melancholy aires on his violin, or when really really bored, shooting a little cocaine. The world is a tedious place for people that lightening quick, that observant and insightful.

I'm def NOT a Holmes. I think I'm more of a combination of Watson and Alice in Wonderland .... or maybe Moriarty, on my really cranky days :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy: .... :) :squee::squee:

I think almost everyone, other than Holmes himself who's sui generis, will be a combo of various literary icons. ...

But hey, if you feel Holmes-y, go for it !!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
😄😂

Long long ago, in a state of acute isolation and profound boredom, I read the entire works of Sherlock Holmes....I liked Hounds of the Baskerville; I love the entire concept of the moors.

Being neither genius or smart, when it comes to "Literature"....in subsequent years I have observed mostly I can't tolerate any Sherlock Holmes type movies or shows.

It seems to come with a type of frenetic energy. I remember I tried to watch the conventional TV show...they did in New York City present time. That seemed calmer...

A co-worker, back when I had such things, told me about their families obsession with the latest Sherlock this and that and everything Benjamin Cumberback. I'm glad they enjoy it. Good for them.

Long long ago, in a state of acute isolation and profound boredom, I read the entire works of Sherlock Holmes....
I did the same, as did mama, who just loved Holmes, and practically knew all of them by heart. I still have the nearly 4 inch thick The Complete SHerlock Holmes I gave her for Christmas one year, and if I had the energy I'd revert to it for calm and peace. And decetly-written early 20th C. late 19th C Englsh.
Being neither genius or smart, when it comes to "Literature"....in subsequent years I have observed mostly I can't tolerate any Sherlock Holmes type movies or shows.
Well, I'm an idiot when it comes to botany ....

I find the different Holmes movies interesting, in a sort of archeological-dig kind of way. They reveal so much about the period that produced them, fro Basil Rathbone to Benedict Cumberbatch, and everything in between. The producers and director et al just cant help reabsorbing the times they live in, and then injecting that into their particular iteration of Sherlock. None of them match my mental images of him ....

I found the Cumberbatch Holmes to be particualrly fascinating, capturing in an odd sort of way the spirit of Conan DOyle's Holmes better than any of the other versions, even tho set in modern day, which I thought would really piss me off.
I remember I tried to watch the conventional TV show...they did in New York City present time. That seemed calmer...
I must have missed that one.
obsession with the latest Sherlock this and that and everything Benjamin Cumberback.
I'm with them on that. It was a really fascinating effort, and far truer to the 'original' Holmes than anything else Ive seen, even Rathbone from the 30's ...

There's something about Holmes that calls out to each succeeding generation, and demands to be interpreted in their particular voice, much like Hamlet.

Fascinating, my dear Watson. Just fascinating .... either that, or I've just bored y'all to sleep .....

Well, I'm an idiot when it comes to botany ....

of course! we universally experience an ability to be really smart about something or another, while casting a dark shadow over there in the corner.

Technically, all my plant ecology knowledge does not qualify me as a Botanist.

But I can out-ecologize, the Botanists. I notice all these things others fail to observe, as I have some version of super keen ability there.

I read alot as a child, but when I became more free, reading got demoted and having adventures took over.

I then experienced a period of time, in which fiction was: I can't comprehend it.

IF I try to write something fictional, well its just full of the REAL Things that happened, all intertwined together into a Gordian knot.

Decades later, Fiction is cool, and I wish I could make it through paragraphs and wish I cared about what might happen next.

I don't know how I got an "A" in this sociology class, yet never read any of the assignments.......

I'm sure if we did a direct competition, maybe a marathon of some sort, regarding rabbit holes, @YippeeKi YOW !! I'm sure you'd win (not that competition is required)

But this cracked me up: and there is nothing Ironic to see here......

J Clin Psychiatry
. 1980 Jun;41(6):202-5.

Holmes, Watson and neurology

Abstract
Numerous neurological problems appear in the Sherlock Holmes stories. These include dementia, delirium, seizures, toxic-metabolic encephalopathies, syncope, movement disorders, cerebrovascular disease, and alocholism. Several problems of a neuropsychiatric nature, such as malingering and brain fever, are also reviewed. In addition, Holmes' knowledge of electroencephalography is revealed.

Gosh: another from the rich fodder field called Neuropsych....

Arch Neurol

. 1991 Mar;48(3):325-9.
doi: 10.1001/archneur.1991.00530150097025.

Arthur Conan Doyle, Joseph Bell, and Sherlock Holmes. A neurologic connection

Abstract
Neurologists, like physicians in several other medical specialties, can lay claim to Sherlock Holmes as one of their own. This assertion is validated by the number of neurologic conditions, such as seizures, stroke, syncope, encephalopathies, and head trauma, that are mentioned in the stories and novels. In addition, the article reviews the powers of observation and the deductive approach utilized by Conan Doyle and Joseph Bell, the models for Sherlock Holmes, and how these skills can be applied to medical problems.

the models for Sherlock Holmes, and how these skills can be applied to medical problems.

Now we reach the point where we understand where a lifetime of exhaustion might come from...this having to be a Medical Detective and honing Sherlock skills.!

FYI: I started my day differently today (after I checked on the hurricane calamity)...

I was reminded that Plans for the day, can be interrupted by Messages appearing that needed to be attended to.

This Blog Appeared.

So I'll be probably thinking about this much of the day, as I attempt to figure out what IS THE MESSAGE I need to be heeding.

I think I figured out yesterday's message...it was to use the Holmes skills, to figure out why my dishwasher failed to work the single time I tried it. (flooded the kitchen).

Its not flooding the kitchen this time! I get very happy when I solve something....

Its not flooding the kitchen this time!
That's brilliant, and a special 'Good on 'ya" for this one :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!!
I get very happy when I solve something....
Right there with 'ya ..... it's probably the most powerful 'empowerment', and it goes a long way towards repairing the various damages to self-esteem that this vicious little poisonous spitting lizard of an illness visits on us, every flucking day !!! Total props :thumbsup::thumbsup: :trophy::trophy::trophy::trophy: !!!!

Just got my kitchen almost fully cleaned up by the professional ladies.....

24 hours later, the ants decided to invade the immaculate kitchen, where they found one peanut butter knife by the sink and one tiny dish....and my garbage.

I need to try to use this dishwasher otherwise dishes and ants are going to Win..

But husband resents Wife's identifying problems and issues and tackling them.

I now have to digest a pile BS. I am this awful person who focuses on PROBLEMS (like the dishwasher was full of my husband's supplements so that is what starts wars around here)

I now have to digest a pile BS.
No. No you don't. Spit it out. C'mon ... spit.... now !!!! Then rinse, repeat .....
I am this awful person who focuses on PROBLEMS (like the dishwasher was full of my husband's supplements so that is what starts wars around here)
And again, nyuh-uh. You're this brilliant problem solver who figured out why the dishwasher flooded the kitchen, and he needs to discover a cupboard where he can clear some space and settle his 3 or 400 bottles of supplements down for a long winter's nap as well as ease of access .....:hug::hug:

You're this brilliant problem solver

thanks, well if you have any weird problems needing solving, send this way!

My next discovery: kitchen fan isn't removing the air, its blowing it back in!

How's that possible?

OMG I discovered a grease problem. My blinds are awful in the kitchen...

(I had to attack that)...(but now saving it up for the maids)

We now have a working dishwasher (altho its all gushing out into my sink)...what an AMAZING THING.

Who invented such a clever device?

I do have extensive ecological expertise in ANTS. That happened by accident. The Argentine ant, arriving here from a boat, decades ago, occupies a unique niche and has huge ecological implications.

We had to design preserves resilient to this ant invasion.

So ants are keystone species in many areas, and are almost always the most abundant thing around if you start counting (short of maybe tiny gnats or mosquitos)

I have a short story called- three days after we moved in, the Ants in the Ceiling decided to look for new Mates...its a sordid tale. And the only time I had to insist that Pesticide Applicators be called. (or I was moving out)

My next discovery: kitchen fan isn't removing the air, its blowing it back in!

How's that possible?
Is there a control for reversing the direction of the fan blades so it exhausts rather than blows in? Or maybe just turn the fan around, tho I'm not sure what kind of fan you've got ....
OMG I discovered a grease problem. My blinds are awful in the kitchen...
I gave up even trying on mine. There's something about the way grease attaches itself, first to dirt, then to each flange of the blinds .....

I tried everything before I was totally knocked out by this crappy little illness, and nothing so much as smeared it.

I have no idea what the neighbors think, but it can't be good .... luckily, I really dont give a crepe, tho I'd prefer to be thought well of. Still, if they actually have the time and energy for that, ore power to 'em ....
Who invented such a clever device?
My money's on a woman. Or a man being harangued by his wife ....

My money's on a woman.

I went off to read about the magic of more modern dishwashers.

do not clean the dishes first. The dishwasher has dirt sensors and works harder if the dishes are more DIRTY.

That was revelatory!

what kind of fan you've got ....

old and broken is what kind....

something regarding the intake up above..where the switches are...is doing something and I really want to take it apart....and FIX IT.

(I recall showing this to the landlord, and he did not seem to care) (in that special way, landlords don't care)

my fix it now genes are screaming out, while my abilities are on a vacation.

I have nice blinds: big wide solid.

I use them to keep heat in and heat out.

FYI: in junior high, we were given vocational tests (also IQ tests)

so my vocation test results were: drumroll...............

1) Mechanic

2) Outdoors

I remember a specific question regarding visiting a toaster making factory: I'd love that....

but what was "outdoors" as a vocation in 1965, I have no idea?

BONUS QUESTION …. Do they still make those dark chocolate Midnite Mars Bars? Or was that just a passing fad that couldn’t last, cause, you know, nothing gold can stay?

I'm pretty sure I saw a bag of mini Milky Way Midnight bars in the store the other day. They are quite good!

I'm pretty sure I saw a bag of mini Milky Way Midnight bars in the store the other day. They are quite good!
Oh goooody !!!

I'm really relieved, cause when they came out, back in the wayback, I was sure they'd disappear fairly quicly, but obviously we're not the only ones who love dark chocolate, as opposed to that milky near void of chocolate mess they like to call milk chocolate .... bah and humbuggery !!!

Blog entry information

Author
YippeeKi YOW !!
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...