• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intro

There are a lot of things that define me... where do I begin? Some people meticulously plan their lives. Well, that's not me. Some people at least try to do everything right. Well that's not me either. Not even close.

Still, I don't like people criticizing and accusing me... mainly because they always go after what I haven't done, instead of what I have. (If you're going to shoot, at least try to aim) Also because my life has been hard enough, and it's not getting any easier, and they have no clue.

I was always a Christian... my earliest memories are all either spiritual or about food :Retro smile: I love food too! Raised in Africa, Married in Turkey, my US citizenship is more of a nostalgia than anything else... my son calls me his African-American Turkish mom :Retro wink: because I'm more Turkish with some African spice and American flavor.

Got sick very soon after we moved back to the States, when I was 24. ICI - Invisible Chronic Illness... I think that's the best name I've heard yet. I married outside of my faith (because I'm such a risk taker :eek: and am certainly the person I previously described). Otherwise my Turkish Muslim husband and I were getting along well enough when I came down with ICI. Yes, icky it is.

I was already leaning in on God but now I leaned with a really heavy body and soul! I don't honestly understand how you guys and gals without faith manage it...

At any rate... went through 2 crisis bedridden/homebound times. Have been at times worse than many with this, and other times better than many.

Okay this story is getting too much and I want to just stop the memory lane...

Here I am. A minister by the way, open for counseling or just a friendly ear.

Please take care... literally.

Comments

Hi Bethany

Nice to read such a diverse bio. Mine is incredibly bland by comparison.

We are an amazingly diverse bunch on here - every faith and no faith - race, culture etc.

I place my faith in my fellow human beings. I guess that means you and everyone else on here (even those I argue with) are a part of my faith.

Counselling plays a vital role in our community. Especially meaningful I believe, when someone you have connected with, actively seeks you out, asks for that friendly ear.

you take care too

Adam

Hi Bethany,

It sounds like you have had an interesting life. I love food too! Thank you for offering an "ear". It is so important to have others to talk to that understand what we all deal with. I know many here will do the same for you. Welcome. :)

Blog entry information

Author
Bethany
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Bethany

• IF I WEREN'T ILL
    by Bethany Yagci If I weren't ill... I wouldn't have to rely On...