• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

hurt

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair
Beneath the stains of time
The feelings disappear
You are someone else
I am still right here

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know goes away
In the end

And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

If I could start again
A million miles away
I would keep myself
I would find a way

Comments

I remember Johnny Cash almost from the beginning of his career. He was well known for his songs and, sadly, his many addictions which led to the ill health that killed him in the end. (Combined with June Carter Cash's death).

Sadly, "Hurt" makes me think of the the old saying...."It's the journey not the destination" (to perhaps even paraphrase it) that matters. How true....in the case of almost everyone. Riches will never fill a person up and while no one wants to be ill, it does give us a peep into a world that others never know....or many may, but most not until later in their lives. At some point, we have to come face to face with ourselves and what life has handed us.

Some things are invetable....the loss of loved ones, loss of "things", growing out of what used to make us happy....this song rather personified all of these things even though it's definitely a very sad ballad. Of note: Cash did not write it himself, but he chose to record it b/c he obviously recognized himself and his past in it.

I never thought his wife, June Carter Cash, (he also had a first marriage) never received her due....after all, the Carter family was well known and gave hope to millions of poor people during the years that were needed in our country. Her death was also sad.

Thanks, Sunshine for the memories, sad as they are. I'm sure many people can find something of themselves in them. Yours Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
sunshine44
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from sunshine44

• Release into the new
    Well…. My body is STRONGLY feeling the pull of this eclipse. No...
  • Eclipse
    “There will be a time, when the dark finds out that it has been serving...
  • Let it go
    Hi everyone, Starting a new blog entry on it because … well I just am...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...
  • Good morning, January sun ☀️ ✨☀️
    “May the light illuminate all hearts” ~ author unknown From my room...