• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Valtrex reactions

As this blog is public will have to be a bit vague with this update. Was able to get an answer from a doctor finally after trying one or two over the last few weeks.

They said kidney stone formation is possible at higher doses but very rare and even rarer at lower doses. They said kidney stone formation is highly likely to be from uric acid and my uric acid went high in January and has only come down by half. I suspect a supplement is the issue or diet. Not sure why.

He also said allergic reactions whilst very rare are not unheard of and that obviously you have to stop if this occurs.

So yeah I don't tolerate the drug in essence. I tolerate 500mg a day but that's it. To be fair I spoke to a lady on twitter who said she and her doctor found out that her maintenance dose was 500mg every 2 to 3 days. That kept her moderate instead of severe....I think.

Still with famvir the above issues seem to never occur. I was a bit asthmatic last night but that's about 8 hours after dosing. So it must be caused by pollen. I think trying different brands of famvir is still worthwhile. However I've woken up two nights in a row with my heart racing and an unpleasant dream. Which isn't very nice.

@heapsreal @DrUniverse @Judee

As for the neutropenia it seems heaps who's taken famvir for years is between 1 and 2 all the time so my neutropenia may not actually be an issue.

I will say one thing it's nice to be able to take 4 pills 3 x a day instead of the 16 + glycine I was taking 3 x a day!!
Reactions: JohnK02 and Judee

Comments

Hey Judee,

Good point! I wasn't taking any Inosine in January tho. Don't have a clue why it was so high tbh. Not sure what it could have been really.

But it was rock bottom last June and August. So I think the green tea must have kept it low.

Oh, one more thing, if your uric acid levels are too high, cherry juice will help lower them...that is if your doctor doesn't prescribe anything first.

Supposedly, we don't want them too low though as uric acid is said to have some beneficial aspects as well. https://selfhack.com/blog/uric-acid-correlated-iq-productivity-lifespan-likely-causal/#comments

Arghh...so hard to find the balance with all these things, hey? :xeyes:

Edit: Rats I can't read this study right now (brain foggy) but the title is intriguing: https://ashpublications.org/blood/a...ndogenous-danger-signal-crystalline-uric-acid

Hey Judee,

So I've been taking quercitin which is meant to lower uric acid. But I still got a stone two days into 1g valtrex. I've given up on valtrex. I've tried all sorts of combinations and nothing has helped. Quercitin seemingly didn't help either.

The kidney stones were small but they got alrge enough for me to have a constnar sharp pain in both right and left flanks. I could feel the stones smaller but just near my bladder thismorning. Like a very sharp object. Everything has felt fine tonight and I haven't had any issues.

Interestingly when I took my supplements my kidneys struggled to process everything in a timely fashion. As I'd get back pain. But now everything's fine. So those stones do take a few days to pass.

I drank two mugs of lemon juice with boiling water. One mug had one tablespoon of olive oil in it to help pass the stones. Until I did that they didn't move to be honest.

So famvir is the only drug I can take but it costs a fortune and I've just crashed. My only reasoning is that the Joshua Leisk protocl + the amino acids from protein meats is vital to keep the body functioning and to compensate for the amino acid issues. Otherwise fatigue dominates.

God only knows what I'll do if I got long covid on top of this. I'm certain I wouldn't work again that's for sure.

The kidney stones were small but they got alrge enough for me to have a constnar sharp pain in both right and left flanks. I could feel the stones smaller but just near my bladder thismorning. Like a very sharp object. Everything has felt fine
tonight

I've heard kidney and gall stones can be some of the worst pain.

Glad it is resolving for you.

I drank two mugs of lemon juice with boiling water. One mug had one tablespoon of olive oil in it to help pass the stones. Until I did that they didn't move to be honest.

Hurray, that you thought of trying the lemon juice and olive oil.

My only reasoning is that the Joshua Leisk protocl + the amino acids from protein meats is vital to keep the body functioning and to compensate for the amino acid issues.

At least you're figuring things out. Yeah, it did seem like you did pretty well on the JL protocol. Maybe it just takes a long time on it for the body to fully heal. ???

Also Sometexan said yesterday that they may be getting some of that Peg-lambda interferon soon. It's in the testing stages. Did you see that update?

God only knows what I'll do if I got long covid on top of this. I'm certain I wouldn't work again that's for sure.

Praying you don't get it. Some of the news from Dr John Campbell and others makes me feel more optimistic that hopefully the pandemic is on a down swing...hopefully.

Last edited:

Blog entry information

Author
godlovesatrier
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from godlovesatrier

• Covid Day 59
    After herxing a lot yesterday taking 250mcg of kpv for a bad head cold...
  • Covid day 56
    I started to feel better around day 40, lactoferrin 900mg a day...
  • Covid update
    Lung pain has definitely gone since taking two 5mg hydrocortisone doses...
  • Covid day 39
    I've got air hunger now which I haven't had for about two or three...
  • Covid day 36
    I've been suffering with a ton of inflammation since about week 2...