• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

“Left Alone: A True Parental Decision”

Seven dollars. It’s what I had in my wallet, which my son Thomas, 6, hurriedly snatched from my dresser drawer. “Papa, Papa, can I go get an ice cream? Please!”

“I’m too SICK to go with you. I don’t want you going outside alone!” I said.

“It’s no problem. There are adults outside!”

“Uh … okay, fine,” I said. “Fine. I’ll watch you from the window. How much money are you taking?”

“I dunno! Who cares?” he said, throwing the wallet aside and running out of my room.

He’d been sitting on my glider playing Mario Kart on my phone when he heard the ice cream truck outside. I don’t normally watch him alone, but this time it would be OK. My wife was going by herself to pick his brother up at daycare.

From the window, I could see his skinny little body scurrying down the driveway, the money held high in his hand. He wore only socks, no shoes. I picked the wallet up from off the floor. It was empty inside. As he stood in front of the ice cream truck behind the other kids, I took the opportunity to briefly look away so I could prepare my powdered supplement. Then I slugged the drink back.

When it finally came his turn, he pointed up at the menu on the side of the truck. The driver craned his neck outside the big window to get a better look. Then Thomas made his selection. I proudly witnessed the final exchange—some dollar bills for two popsicle-looking ice creams.

“Papa, I got one for Charlie too!” he later came up the stairs to my room blabbing. “I put them in the freezer.”

“How much was it?” I asked.

“I don’t know. Who cares?” he said.

“Did you spend it all?”

“Yeah! But don’t worry about it. I can get you more money. It’s no problem. I’ll give you some money from my piggy bank!”

“Um, OK,” I said. Then he went back to playing Mario Kart.

Comments

Well, your son is learning some good skills. Making a decision, transacting it (even if he didn't know what he was doing) and independence. A plus is that he actually thought of his brother.....that's great!

I hope that civilization will always keep the siren song of the memory of spring, summer and fall...the ice cream man. Some things are definitely worth saving.

Now you have to teach him about dollars and cents. It's true that we seldom really use money in our society today....but it's certainly good to know.

Enjoy your writing. Take good care & don't overdo things. Yours, Lenore.

Well, your son is learning some good skills. Making a decision, transacting it (even if he didn't know what he was doing) and independence. A plus is that he actually thought of his brother.....that's great!

I hope that civilization will always keep the siren song of the memory of spring, summer and fall...the ice cream man. Some things are definitely worth saving.

Now you have to teach him about dollars and cents. It's true that we seldom really use money in our society today....but it's certainly good to know.

Enjoy your writing. Take good care & don't overdo things. Yours, Lenore.

Thank you, Lenora!

Oh....so when an ME person reads a short story, carrying forward details might be a bit challenged, and some additional review and scrutiny is often warranted.

In this case, by the end of your story, I had your son spending your whole paycheck on ice cream, and leaving a substantial tip.

But then upon glancing AGAIN at the first sentence, maybe you only paid SEVEN dollars for a dollars worth of ice creams.

I had to hear the sound of ice cream trucks..after your post. Last summer, one was driving around here, altho I never saw a child or anyone stop. But it had a cool ice cream truck song.

Apparently, in lieu of sound healing taps, or 10 hours of oceanic for uninterrupted sleep, You Tube carries a litany of compilations of many hours worth of ice cream truck music. I quickly turned that off.

OK: a short story in response to your story...

My Great Grandmother Was a Psychic.

My mother was one of eleven, the oldest of the second batch of eight kids. The first three, their father died in that Spanish flu in 1919, which reminds us of COVID. What happened there, is the famous family story I work on in my spare time between other stories. That story includes an evil stepmother, and threats to send the babies to the orphanage, and how red heads cannot be trusted ever.

My Grandfather (husband #2) was the city policeman in Richmond Virginia. Stern, quiet, do not touch the gun and Do Not Mess With My Grandfather.

So it seems his mother, would visit periodically from Baltimore. And when she arrived, well many people would "drop by" the house. For psychic readings. This was the 1930s-1940s.

My grandfather did not approve of this I was told. So it was kept secret, when important men from Washington, DC. would come to my grandmother's house because Maddie was in town.

So these men would give all the eleven kids (well, whomever was underfoot at the moment) they would give them a dime to go leave, and go down the block to get ice creams.

All the kids stayed mum.

OK: a short story in response to your story...

My Great Grandmother Was a Psychic.

My mother was one of eleven, the oldest of the second batch of eight kids. The first three, their father died in that Spanish flu in 1919, which reminds us of COVID. What happened there, is the famous family story I work on in my spare time between other stories. That story includes an evil stepmother, and threats to send the babies to the orphanage, and how red heads cannot be trusted ever.

My Grandfather (husband #2) was the city policeman in Richmond Virginia. Stern, quiet, do not touch the gun and Do Not Mess With My Grandfather.

So it seems his mother, would visit periodically from Baltimore. And when she arrived, well many people would "drop by" the house. For psychic readings. This was the 1930s-1940s.

My grandfather did not approve of this I was told. So it was kept secret, when important men from Washington, DC. would come to my grandmother's house because Maddie was in town.

So these men would give all the eleven kids (well, whomever was underfoot at the moment) they would give them a dime to go leave, and go down the block to get ice creams.

All the kids stayed mum.
🙂🤩

Blog entry information

Author
Cloudyskies
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Cloudyskies