• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ANGER & Mind Training

What are we here for? Perhaps we are simply here for the opportunity to become so happy that we no longer care what we are here for! (wrote my Astrologer today..).

How many people are genuinely happy? I dont mean happy because they have material possessions or the perfect wife/husband/partner. Im talking about inner joy & peace.

Happiness is not a switch that you can turn ON or OFF at will. If it was, the Universe & all who live in it would be eternally happy. We would never use the OFF switch, because, lets face it, who wants to be UNhappy.

We can choose to be happy & content or angry & dissatisfied.

No matter how hard I try, even in my present life of contentment, eventually, something crops up that makes me angry. And often it is the same scenario that makes me angry.

Its people who make me angry.

People who are glib & who trivialize my existence & health. Does it really matter to the world if I live the way I want to? Is my being in pain really someone elses business. Its MY pain. Its no one elses pain. I deal with it the best way I can. Its part of MY day (or night). Its not part of someone elses life, so why should they criticize it (or trivialize it).

Hang on a minute..

People cant make you angry. Anger is about the way you interpret peoples words or actions. You make yourself angry. Anger is an emotion that your mind has produced. In fact, you can even be angry with yourself & your own actions you dont actually need another person to instigate this emotion.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The fact that you can make yourself angry supports the reality that it is your mind that is producing it (not another person).
The same goes with Happiness. You can experience Joy & Peace in your life, if you allow these emotions into your mind. And the more you practice them, the more easily it becomes a daily existence. You dont need anyone else to bring you Joy & Peace. You just need to evolve & train your mind.
And it does take some training.
Life for an ICI (invisible chronic illness) sufferer is complicated & difficult. For some sufferers, it is extremely difficult. Every thought & action is hard work not easy, not simple, slow hard work. With all this hard work in your life, its not easy to find time to Train your Mind.
How long does it take to train your mind? Like all new things which come to us some things take a short space of time, some longer depends how much you practice. The more you practice, the quicker the end result.
The sooner you train your mind to be open & receptive to Optimism, Happiness & Hope, the sooner it becomes part of your daily existence.
These positive emotions can only exist if you clear out the negative emotions that are competing for space Pessimism, Unhappiness & Despair (& Anger).
I guess Ive got to do some more training & study. After all these years, Im not sure that I worked hard enough at my lessons.
No matter how often I sweep up the negative emotions & put the Angry Trash out for the weekly rubbish collection, it keeps coming back.
Anger still occupies a small space. It inhabits a shadowy corner, hiding, biding its time, ready to multiply & eat away my positive space IF I give it the chance.
I guess I've got to find a bigger broom & practice sweeping (as well as filling my mind with the Positive, so theres no room left for the Negative to lurk).
PS. OMG, Ive just spied Peter the Possum walking along my side fence & its only 1.45pm Sunday afternoon now THEREs a creature who knows his own mind he studies & practices mindful walking & stalking even outside working hours (night). <o:p></o:p>

Comments

Hello Victoria, this reminds me of that famous Dion Fortune quote: "Magic is changing consciousness at will". The more I go on, the more I'm convinced that's true. Yet I've also seen this backfire when misinterpreted. We can't really get rid of strong emotions by willing it so, I've slipped on that banana peel quite a number of times. I believe what we can do is to transmute those emotions so that, even if they're ugly in themselves, they serve something beautiful.

I like having positive emotions in my life, (& getting rid of negative ones), Sunday.

I quite like my new life & being more positive - it puts a rosy sheen on some of those bad pain days which I still experience from time to time. It doesn't erase the pain. Being more mellow & content allows me to walk beside the pain (instead of feeling overwhelmed & resentful of it's presence).

We can't change the bad things that happen in our lives, but we can change the way we interpret their effect.

50+ years is a long time to be unhappy.

Victoria,

I agree with you completely! I have to work at the positive attitude every day. Take pleasure in small things, deflect the large ones (like Kung-fu). You have been very kind and support to myself and others and are hugely appreciated. :)

I keep calling you Vickkie in my posts for some reason, blame it on the fog.

XX Wendy

Nice Vicki. Anger is a choice and no one can make us feel anything. I love when people can let things roll off their back and they laugh at what others say. I want to be like that!

You're welcome, Wendy.

Call me Vicki or Victoria (whichever you like).

Sometimes, in the last 2 months, I have to blink twice, & take a really deep look at my life to see where I was in the past & where I am today. I was angry 97% of the time in the past - not a good state to be when you've got chronic pain.

i still have days of severe back pain (& the occasional night), but somehow it's different. Somehow it doesn't matter. I can't explain it. Letting go of that anger & resentment seems to take a weight off me, so that the pain floats around me, instead of weighing me down.

And Spitfire, I want to be like that all the time too. I envy people who are eternally happy all the time. I haven't got there 100%, but I'm working on it.

I daresay, I would find it a lot harder to be positive if I was bedridden or housebound. I am incredibly blessed to be able to get out & about - now that I'm not exhausted all the time (like when I was working full-time).

Strong emotions like anger add to the exhaustion factor. You don't actually realise how heavy anger is, until you've got rid of it.

Lovely blog, Vicki, so true.

It is about being true to yourself, and respecting your own judgement, and it is about being able to just drift with the skies - gazing out of my window at the world and getting perspective that way.

Guilt is another one worth working on.

Forgiveness and acceptance is to be retained.

Say hi to Peter the Possum for me.

jace x

Nice post Vicki! :)

I fully agree about training your mind to think more in line with how we choose to think. Very important stuff there! :)

I like the idea of being beside your pain, instead of within it. And I'm so glad that you are able to have more pleasure in your new life.

Thought do have weight - anger, frustration...all very natural thoughts......but they're heavy, heavy thoughts....happiness, being committed to happiness - is lightening - rejuvenating. It does help to watch and cultivate one thoughts as one would a garden. :)

I was told once, that it takes 3 muscles to smile & 50 muscles to frown. Don't know whether it's a myth or has some truth in it.

Blog entry information

Author
Victoria
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Victoria