• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood tests

I've stopped the valtrex as I got kidney stones and my kidneys feel fairly inflamed, thankfully it's just swelling no real pain - I did have pain but it was transient and has gone now thankfully.

So now I'll go back to the famvir at some point.

Long story short the valtrex worked as well as the famvir if not better, I was I think fully PEM buffered from a 20 minute walk, if I did have PEM symptoms it was mainly dizziness and disorientation, but can't tell it apart from aggrevation of kidney stones passing through my uretra. Anyway it did work, I think my main problems are ebv and hsv related, famvir should hit this I hope pretty well, if I can find a brand that doesn't have a ton of side effects. All my fingers are crossed.

I got my kidney and liver function tests back today and everythings fine, just slightly raised urea but it's a tiny bit raised and not above prior baselines.

The valtrex caused neutropenia, my neutrophils are now 1.51 so trending down again. Seems when I attack the viruses that cause my ME I get neutropenia. I suspect whatever causes my ME and immune dsyfunction is very closely related to the neutropenia, or why would oat bran cause neutropenia and valtrex? I hadn't taken oat bran for 2 weeks prior to the test and was not on it long before that, so I can discount any overlap. Also neutropenia is a known side effect of valtrex.

So bit annoyed that Valtrex was working but I could never sustain or get up to the right dosage. But it is what it is. I was already at the lowest dose so I don't think taking even less is worthit.

I got my asot test results which show no antibodies, or neglible antibodies, so no active strep infection which is great. Also got my mycoplasma test back and that was negative as well for both igm and igg.

So really the only test I need to get now is CMV, hhv-6 involves a 1 hour trip south and I can't get the time off to do that test.

--

On a second note the benefits of the valtrex appear to have stayed so far. I don't have intense fatigue or anything, but haven't done anything yet either. Sore throats remained gone. I do still feel foggy but that's due to vairous factors I think.
Reactions: Judee and Mariaba

Comments

I didn't read the whole study but someone asked what people had used against EBV in one of the Lyme FB groups and someone said Buhner's full protocol. Then when I went to his website to look for info on that, part of what he mentions is cordyceps.

Remember I mentioned them before for low neutrophils?

Anyway, I went to look things up and found this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4303894/

Another study said they were using it to increase the efficacy of a tumor medicine: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27063964/

That made me wonder if you couldn't use it with the anti-virals. Maybe you could even lower the dose. ????

Edit: Cordycepin is in Cordyceps Militaris.

This seller on Amazon gave some interesting info on Cordyceps Militaris.
1649960581941.png

I also found this wikipedia page interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordycepin

Hey Judee,

I've taken cordyceps before but it's far too stimulating. It actually reactivates ebv. Saying that if the viral load is low enough (mine wasn't in the past) then taking it might be ok. But I'd never sleep if I took it now. Famvir already makes me really wired.

Also not really sure it would work against drug based neutropenia but maybe. Saying all this I'm not sure yet if the neutropenia is caused by the antivirals quite yet. It could be but it's a bit hard to say.

Will research it :) suspect it's an immune dysfunction condition of some sort at this point.

Oops...I edited it. Hope you saw the edits. This was another edit I was going to add. That wiki page says, "cordycepin was found to be the most potent molecular circadian clock resetter out of several screened compounds."

Last edited:
Hey. Read the study. Really interesting. Good cordyceps isn't cheap but micronutri do the best I've seen. It's hella stimulating though. I could prob take it with valtrex but no idea how I'd take it with famvir. It does look interesting though. It might work hard to say.

I did some research. Neutropenia is caused either by surpressed bone marrow expression. Or neutrophils are being destroyed by the immune system. Possibly by accident.

So cordyceps prob wouldn't address either of those two.

@heapsreal any thoughts on this? I've not checked my numbers again yet. Neutrophils are 1.51. was 1.88 in February. I think the valtrex was probably the neutropenia cause.

I did some research. Neutropenia is caused either by surpressed bone marrow expression. Or neutrophils are being destroyed by the immune system. Possibly by accident.

So cordyceps prob wouldn't address either of those two.

@heapsreal any thoughts on this? I've not checked my numbers again yet. Neutrophils are 1.51. was 1.88 in February. I think the valtrex was probably the neutropenia cause.

My neutrophils usually fall between 1-2. I think it's more likely to be from chronic infections, a type of immune exhaustion.

Blog entry information

Author
godlovesatrier
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from godlovesatrier

• Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Covid Day 59
    After herxing a lot yesterday taking 250mcg of kpv for a bad head cold...
  • Covid day 56
    I started to feel better around day 40, lactoferrin 900mg a day...
  • Covid update
    Lung pain has definitely gone since taking two 5mg hydrocortisone doses...
  • Covid day 39
    I've got air hunger now which I haven't had for about two or three...