• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Experiencing Covid-19 in a Nursing Home (Day .. Whatever)

I highly recommend against procuring this version of covid-19. I'm assuming it's omicron. But in any case, my body has been battling to a draw thus far.

Today my fever spiked at 103°.. but now I'm back down to 97 tolerable degrees. But every day, this is the thing. It seems like I'm getting better, but then I am not.

The nurses here insist this is common, two steps forward, then two back. But I suppose most importantly, my oxygen level has been good the past two days.

I've had every symptom thus far, besides the loss of taste and smell. And I do feel as though most symptoms are steady or improving. So, a good outlook for me, but perhaps not for others.

Based upon a partial sample size, a substantial sum of residents AREN'T vaccinated. That's right, within this most vulnerable group over half of the residents in this wing alone, may not be vaccinated. I cannot share the specific details, but WOWWWW! Right? A lot of these people just aren't going to make it.

Note: my roommate is still alive.

Anyway, it's best that I have this now, before the whole building is stricken. I am getting dedicated attention.

This is all I got at the moment. My biggest problem overall is that my GI system shutdown four days ago. Everything, everywhere, is stuck. And all of the excess pressure is exiting through my feeding tube stoma.. along with content. So I cannot feed. At all. However, I'll be okay once everything re-engages. I've just got to find a way to trigger something.

To be honest, I've been struggling a fair amount. But I've also received great support from a number of people, in here, and out there.

Take care,
Howard

Comments

Or maybe you would love this more?
I’ll post it only for you, but you are allowed to delete it as I don’t know if you’re into punk?
0479C917-56C3-45D9-8F18-96B9A564DBAB.jpeg

I have no idea about this, I just know you’re a hard rock fan,
so I Googled hard rock get well, and this showed up ..

Wishing for your intestines to wake up and engage in the very near future.

Its so hard to process so many are unvaccinated there. I guess its not mandated, yet this is not logical.

I think we all feel like sad hound doggies, when we are unwell. I hope a Betty BOOP shows up, to help everyone there feel better..

Ooh, Howard. See how many super nice people care for you?

I think we've all known that you've been "under the weather" for the past few days....and why wouldn't you feel it? It's just good that you've let us know what's been going on and I agree, it's hard to believe that such a lot of really sick individuals haven't been vaccinated. Is that the fault of the doctors?

Sorry about your digestive problems....I guess our intestines get tied up in knots with concern, worry or upset like it or not. I hope things return to normal ASAP.

Well, I think Betty Boop would be a thrill for all of us to see.....perhaps she could line folks up for vaccinations....keep them entertained with that cute little Betty Boop look. Boop, Boopy, Doop!!

I do hope your roommate does OK. Glad that you're alone and you're right, better to be at the beginning of this onslaught than at the end.

We now have 3 family members felled by Omicron....and a huge surprise. The 4 in Belize made a stop in Dallas last evening and will be here until Thursday. 2 of them have really bad coughs too, so who knows what's out there? Anyway, it was a very nice surprise to see them as you can imagine.

No other news here, except that it's far too warm for this time of year. It's like being on a roller coaster with the weather....in the 40's last week and the 80's this week.
Everyone is in various stages of almost asleep, so we'll just let them rest up.

If you're anything like me, you'll have that cold lingering for a good 3 wks., getting better and like the nurse said, a few steps back. But know lots of thoughts are with you. Yours, Lenora.

@Howard
Hey,
Just want to let you know that I am thinking about you right now. I hope that you make a speedy recovery. I have not long found this thread, I am glad to hear that you are setting in ok at the nursing home and that you have a better quality of life now.
Must be lovely to be able to get outside too.
Sending warm wishes
From the U.K.😊

Hello @Howard.....How was your night and how are you feeling thus far today?

How about your feedings...have they resumed or is there still a problem?
I do wish I could wave a magic wand and make you (and everyone else) better...but it's good to know there's such a thing out there...somewhere.

Our CA group left this morning. Now our son-in-law has joined the "sick party." We're really laid low around here....but my cold is somewhat better today and like I said, hopefully you can say the same.

So what does your gut tell you? Is it Omicron, the flu or a cold? They're all so similar, aren't they in their symptoms. Does it matter? Not really, when you're sick you're sick. Except that aches & pains are more indicative of the flu.

Hope your roommate is doing OK. Are you feeling like Little Boy Lost all alone in your room....or is it better? At least you don't have excessive noise bothering you which could be unbearable in illness. Take good care of yourself, Howard. Feel better. Yours, Lenora. P.S. Don't worry about a long reply...just a simple answer will be more than fine....if you can manage it. L.

Are you feeling like Little Boy Lost all alone in your room....or is it better? At least you don't have excessive noise bothering you which could be unbearable in illness. Take good care of yourself, Howard. Feel better. Yours, Lenora. P.S. Don't worry about a long reply...just a simple answer will be more than fine....if you can manage it. L.

Oh, @lenora, you've probably seen this thread by now but if not, @Howard, is in the hospital with pneumonia. :(

Here's where he talks about that:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/levofloxacin-for-covid-19-fever-unresolved-good-idea.86534/

I am in contact with Howard's medical advocate and sister. Howard is in stable condition and made some small improvements overnight. His O2 went to 96 after some oxygen. His lungs are pretty healthy except for a small pneumonia spot on his left lung. Please keep the healing energy coming. Hes so loved in the Phoenix Rising community and such a tough fighter. Still no feeding tube but we are hoping they re-try it soon. Still on dextrose and electrolyte IV. I know hes so grateful for each and every one of you on this journey with him here and if he could, would thank you guys for all the love.

Oh, @Judee.....Yes, I finally came back on this site and read about Howard. I'm not happy that he had to go to the hospital, but I am glad that it's there for him and that he was readily transferred.

So kind of you to notify me in case I had missed it. Of course I'm sending plenty of healing thoughts (call them prayers even) for him, and I know he can feel the concern of all of us. Thanks, very sweet of you.

Also @sunshine44, I join @Tammy for thanking you for your update. It's most comforting to know that someone's on "the inside" and can speak for him. He's one sick boy and I know how that goes. Yes, his electrolytes should be watched especially since he isn't getting his feedings. Keep us posted, please.

I'll also join the others as we wait to hear how he's doing today. Thanks for your kindness also.

Howard, get on with it!:pill: Please GET BETTER SOON! Yours, Lenora.:bouquet::bouquet:

Oh, @Judee.....Yes, I finally came back on this site and read about Howard. I'm not happy that he had to go to the hospital, but I am glad that it's there for him and that he was readily transferred.

So kind of you to notify me in case I had missed it. Of course I'm sending plenty of healing thoughts (call them prayers even) for him, and I know he can feel the concern of all of us. Thanks, very sweet of you.

Also @sunshine44, I join @Tammy for thanking you for your update. It's most comforting to know that someone's on "the inside" and can speak for him. He's one sick boy and I know how that goes. Yes, his electrolytes should be watched especially since he isn't getting his feedings. Keep us posted, please.

I'll also join the others as we wait to hear how he's doing today. Thanks for your kindness also.

Howard, get on with it!:pill: Please GET BETTER SOON! Yours, Lenora.:bouquet::bouquet:

Thank you dear Lenora. I will do my best to give morning and evening updates if and when available. :heart:

Thanks for the evening update @sunshine44. I'm so glad that Howard is at least stable and do hope the feedings will be successfully resumed tonight. He must have lost a lot of weight.

Included a prayer for him and threw one into the universe so that he'll do OK, and will handle this with the help of people like you, the caring people of PR and his own initiative. GO HOWARD....and tummy, please take your food and behave.

Happy 2022 to all of you. May you enjoy good health, the ability to know it and have a good outlook for the New Year! Best wishes to all. Yours, Lenora.

Not alot to report today. Nurses and Drs said hes not worse, so thats good. His lungs/chest are doing much better. He is dealing with immense nausea possibly from all the meds hes on and lack of nutrition and sensitivities. Reintroducing feed did not go great so they are re-stopping. I am wondering if they are going to need to go slower when they retry and not do a full bottle? I have been in contact with a few severe me/cfs people on feeding tubes to see if they had this issue and what did they do. If anyone here knows anything about these types of feeding tube issues, definitely feel free to chime in. Obviously the hospital is overloaded during a pandemic and me/cfs is not well understood in these types of settings. He seems to be getting good care though with caring and attentive nurses and staff.

Hes hanging in there. Hes such a warrior. Hes sleep deprived and exhausted so keep sending him lots of good energy and prayers.

Thanks again for the update, @sunshine44 . I hope Howard will find the strength to finish this thing off....could the feeding tube be moved to another location in his digestive system? I wonder if there is an infection in the stoma itself. Well, doctors should be back on Monday and questions will be answered then.

I hope you're at least up to watching a few games, Howard. Help pass the time and take your mind off things at present. That's my wish for you, but whether it will happen or not, I don't know.

I'm feeling kind of punchy b/c of the lack of sleep over the last few nights. In other words, the New Year is ending on the same note as the old one....Sleepless in Dallas. (Beats Penny Does Dallas, doesn't it?) Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard