• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Covid-19 in the Nursing Home

Just in case things get out of sorts, thought I'd post this right now...

My roommate is symptomatic, and just tested positive for Covid this morning. He has a 101.5° fever and is congested. And I'm a tiny bit freaked out, because obviously, if I do not have it already, I am going to get it shortly.

So, our room has been sealed off, and I'm not allowed to leave for the next 14 days.

That means.. no dentist tomorrow, again… (my tooth flippin' hurts), and my neurology appointments will be canceled, too. But I suppose that's not the important thing right now.

My roommate is already congested, so I guess we'll wait and see what happens next.

And, I survived Covid-19 last January, so I suspect I shall do so once again. I was also vaccinated back in August (no booster yet), so I suspect that may help. My last swab was negative, three days ago.

And since he does not leave the room, either I or a staff member infected him. At least there are no other positive cases involving the other residents. And I hope everybody here will be okay. As best I understand it, everyone's been vaccinated. Staff included.

They just explained that they are moving my roommate and I into a Covid unit, in order to isolate us from the rest of the population. So… we'll see what happens over there.. wherever that is.

Alright then, I suppose I'll be reporting from somewhere else soon.

Next available dentist appointment is January 10th

Okay, my roommate's not vaccinated… and he asked if he could get vaccinated right now (unfortunately, he doesn't process all that well). I wish I would have known this before.... eh, nevermind. It probably wouldn't have mattered. Everybody is going to get this.

H

Comments

Having been infected before and having been vaccinated should give you a pretty good level of protection @Howard and you might only have to go into isolation for a few days to make sure you have'nt got it. Covid in a nursing home was a nightmare before the vaccines were available. Less so now. On the bright side you might get a bit more sleep in your new quarters.

Bad news @Howard and I'm sorry. I expect they'll give you a COVID test as soon as you move, and will join Judee in praying that all is OK.

Darn, that stuff is everywhere it seems! I just read the latest news and it was reported that omicron is 25-50% easier to catch (wide swing in percentiles). Just think of how many people could be affected by this, including your friends in the courtyard. It's getting to the point where you aren't a good citizen unless you've had COVID. Be strong! Yours, Lenora.

Yep, was thinking they should test me first... but it's fairly likely I have it. I'll demand a test so I can at least time this thing out.

And I don't believe I have a fever, but they don't have a working thermometer available at this time. Really, I'm just more tired than usual. But that may be nothing. :)

Total craziness.

Note: she's okay

My new CNA in my new Covid quarters just took the weight of the entire curtain assembly to her forehead and nose. It just came down from the ceiling... Gravity Strikes!!!

Scratched her face up a bit, ouch...
She's okay though. :)

At least the room is nice.

My medical advocate is freaking out... cannot understand why they didn't separate us (my roommate and I)... or at least give me a covid test first.

They finally found a thermometer that worked. I'm at 97.8 .. My normal is 97.4

@Judee. I was thinking the same thing on the vitamin D... I am super tan, so lots of D!

@christiankatz Yes, pics forthcoming!

@andyguitar. Right. I'm not super concerned, just disappointed how they handled this... so far.

@Howard and @Hufsamor.......I tried to PM you, Hufsamor, and it didn't go through. I don't know why the addresses aren't showing up. I then tried to notify Mary and still couldn't get through.

I hope you weren't offended (have a feeling you were) by the comment I made on Howard's blog. Truly, I was just kidding (jk) around with you and in all honesty you've always struck me as being a kind and thoughtful person with many interests. My apologies if I did offend you.

Sorry that this is off-topic, but I didn't know any other way to reach Hufsamor.
Yours, Lenora.

Good Morning @Howard.....Well, the room does look more spacious and you even have a mirror to beautify yourself.

How are you feeling today? Has the test been given yet and are you in with the same roommate? Was the drapery track shown the one that fell on the nurse's head?

I need to get Rod over there to do some decent repairs. Even at 77 it's his favorite thing after the job he had. Unsurprisingly, the handymen there don't sound like perfectionists. Too bad in this case. Glad the woman is OK. Yours, L.

@Howard and @Hufsamor.......I tried to PM you, and it didn't go through. I don't know why the addresses aren't showing up. I then tried to notify Mary and still couldn't get through.

I hope you weren't offended (have a feeling you were) by the comment I made on Howard's blog. Truly, I was just kidding (jk) around with you and in all honesty you've always struck me as being a kind and thoughtful person with many interests. My apologies if I did offend you.

Sorry that this is off-topic, but I didn't know any other way to reach Hufsamor.
Yours, Lenora.
Dear @Leonora, this is very sweet of you, but I have no idea what I should have been offended of:love: I remember you mentioned me in a comment here the other day, but as far as I recall I was more proud of being mentioned by you in a comment than anything else.
Your comments are funny and I enjoy reading them:)

Dear @Leonora, this is very sweet of you, but I have no idea what I should have been offended of:love: I remember you mentioned me in a comment here the other day, but as far as I recall I was more proud of being mentioned by you in a comment than anything else.
Your comments are funny and I enjoy reading them:)

@lenora - I believe you are having a technical issue somehow. I do not show that I am blocking or ignoring anybody. :)

However, when you post comments in my blog or elsewhere, I do not see any notifications. So I must "happen to see" whatever it is that you post.. which eventually I do. :)

Hello @ Hufsamor....It's highly possible that I'm having tech issues. I should pull out my Chrome and use it and see if there's any difference.

I'm so glad you weren't offended as that would not have been a good Xmas present. Joking around can sometimes cause unintended results, but you're a good sport and person, so I'm glad you find a comment now and again funny. I've picked up on your humor before. Besides, Howard's the real jokemeister (?) around here. When he feels like it, of course.

@Howard....What's the newest on you today? I do hope there weren't any bad falls by your roommate during the night. Have you asked them if they're going to move you before you have another round of COVID? Chat later. Yours, L.

Hi @christiankatz......As I recall, there is a way that you can have people you want notified added to a list, but I don't remember how I once did it.

I'm sure that if you contacted one of the Moderators it could be done. Wishing you a peaceful and joyful Christmas Eve. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Howard