• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bach Flower Remedies (& Bach Rescue Remedy?)

Not only are the 38 Bach Flower Remedies free from side effects & inexpensive, they are simply administered, even to those most debilitated (and unable to take harsh drugs & other invasive treatments).

Everyone of us is a healer, because every one of us at heart has a love for something, for our fellow man, for animals, for nature, for beauty in some form. And we every one of us wish to protect and help it to increase. Every one of us also has sympathy with those in distress, and naturally so because we have all been in distress ourselves at some time in our lives.

We are all healers, and with love and sympathy in our natures we are also able to help anyone who really desires health. Seek for the outstanding mental conflict in the patient, give him the remedy that will assist him to overcome that particular fault, and all the encouragement and hope you can, and then the healing virtue within him will of itself do all the rest.
Dr Edward Bach[

To use the Bach Remedies successfully calls for no training in medicine or psychology, but for perceptiveness, the ability to think and to appreciate, and above all a natural sensitivity and feeling.

How do the Remedies Work?

To date, no explanation exists of the mode of action that would fully satisfy current scientific criteria. Hypotheses based on molecular chemistry, cybernetics and atomic physics have been put forward for other subtle healing methods. It is possible that these would also apply to the Bach Remedies. Considering the extremely rapid expansion of knowledge in these fields, it can only be a matter of time until the energy changes produced by these subtle methods can also be measured and demonstrated by scientific methods.

In 1934, Bach wrote the following concerning the way his Flower Remedies work:

The action of these remedies is to raise our vibrations and open up our channels for the reception of the Spiritual Self; to flood our natures with the particular virtue we need, and wash from us the fault that is causing the harm. They are able, like beautiful music or any glorious uplifting thing which gives us inspiration, to raise our very natures, and bring us nearer to our souls and by that very act to bring us peace and relieve our sufferings. They cure, not by attacking the disease, but by flooding our bodies with the beautiful vibrations of our Higher Nature, in the presence of which, disease melts away as snow in the sunshine.

THE BACH FLOWER REMEDIES

Preface to The Bach Remedies Repertory A supplemental guide to the use of herbal remedies discovered by Edward Bach F J WHEELER

Between the years 1930 and 1936, Edward Bach, M.B., B.S., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., D.P.H., found, perfected and put into use a system of medicine as simple as it has proved effective. After a successful career in London, he abandoned a lucrative practice to seek and find herbs which would heal the sick, but from which no ill effects could be derived.

Dr. Bach taught that the basis of disease was to be found in disharmony between the spiritual and mental aspects of a human being. This disharmony, to be found wherever conflicting moods produced unhappiness, mental torture, fear, or lassitude and resignation, lowered the bodys vitality and allowed disease to be present. For this reason the remedies he prepared were for the treatment of the mood and temperament of the patient, not for his physical illness, so that each patient becoming more himself could increase his or her own vitality and so draw from an inward strength and an inward peace the means to restore health.

Each patient must lead his own life and learn to lead it in freedom. Each was a different type, a different individual, and each must be treated for his personal mood and the need of the moment, not for his physical disease.

Bach wrote in his book, The Twelve Healers and Other Remedies: In treating cases with these remedies, no notice is taken of the nature of disease. The individual is treated and as he becomes well the disease goes, having been cast off by the increase in health.

All know that of the same disease may have different effects on different people: it is the effects that need treatment, because they guide to the real cause.

The mind being the most delicate and sensitive part of the body, show the onset and the course of disease much more definitely than the body, so that the outlook of mind is chosen as the guide as to which remedy or remedies are necessary.

Dr Bach stressed that his remedies could be used in conjunction with any other form of treatment, and would not clash or interfere. Equally, they could achieve great results used alone.

The remedies are Rock Rose, Mimulus, Cherry Plum, Aspen, Red Chestnut, Cerato, Scleranthus, Gentian, Gorse, Hornbeam, Wild Oat, Clematis, Honeysuckle, Wild Rose, Olive, White chestnut, Mustard, Chestnut Bud, Water Violet, Impatiens, Heather, Agrimony, Centaury, Walnut, Holly, Larch, Pine, Elm, Sweet Chestnut, Star of Bethlehem, Willow, Oak, Crab Apple, Chicory, Vervain, Vine, Beech and Rock Water.

The Remedies are sold in a small dark glass bottle to keep the light out. They can be used in a variety of ways. You can put a couple of drops on the surface of your tongue. A few drops can be put into a glass of water & sipped at regular intervals. Or you could put a couple of drops on the inside of your wrist (the most appropriate method if the person was unconscious). I've tried all methods & found some success, but the most miraculous success I've personally found, is using Bach's Rescue Remedy.

Bach Rescue Remedy a mixture of 5 flower remedies (a small bottle is always in my purse & the larger size sits on my bathroom shelf):
Impatiens for the inpatience, irritablility, and agitation often accompanying stress. This may sometimes result in muscle tension and pain.
Clematis for the unconsciousness, spaciness, faintness, and out-of-the-body sensations, which often accompany trauma.
Rock Rose for terror, panic, hysteria, and great fear.
Cherry Plum for fear of losing mental or physical control.
Star of Bethlehem for trauma, both mental and physical.
Rescue remedy is perfect to take before any kind of procedure or surgery, prior to job interviews, nervous anxiety, shock or trauma (severe burn, cut, car accident etc).

It is said to keep near drowning, or heart attack victims stable until an ambulance arrives.

If you wanted to try Bach Flower Remedies and didn't want to buy the individual remedies, I can highly recommend the Rescue Remedy as being the best & most prominent feature of my home medicine chest.

It is the patient himself, not the disease, who needs the treatment.

It is an absolute exemplar of the old dictum that there are no disease, only sick people

When peace and harmony return to the mind, health and strength will return to the body.

There is no true healing unless there is a change in outlook, peace of mind, and inner happiness. EDWARD BACH

As an example; should a patient strongly indicate depression, look under the heading Depression in the repertory. Decide where the depression is due to doubt, or whether it descends on the sufferer like a black cloud, or for an unknown cause. Then read the full description of the remedies Gentian and Mustard and decide which most closely describes the patient.

Only by reading the full description of each remedy before deciding which is needed can satisfactory results be obtained.

MOODS, for example:

Alternating Moods
Alone
Anguish
Anxiety
Causes unknown
Congestion
Depression
Though doubt Gentian
As black cloud Mustard
Cause unknown Mustard

Despair
Desperation
Disheartened
Drowsiness
Fear
Absence, of Clematis, Red Chestnut
Cancer, of Clematis, Mimulus
Cold, damp, of Mimulus Darkness Aspen, Mimulus
Death, of
Fear, of
Health, for
Insanity, of
Losing friends
Mind giving way
Mental
Physical, eg poverty, illness
Gloomy, utter sadness
Grief
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Melancholy
Nervous Breakdown
Shock​
And so on..these are only a few of the "moods" or "emotions" which can be addressed with Bach Flower Remedies.

EDWARD BACH 1886-1936

Eager and ardent, like a living flame,
Without a thought of self, desiring ever
Nor wealth nor power nor influence nor fame,
Except as those might forward his endeavour
To help mankind. So swift to understand
All doubts and fears and failures, yet so slow
To judge or to condemn, he set his hand
Alone to heal, to help those powers to grow
That make for fellowship and cast out hate
And aim to help the whole wide world to gain
Touch with the Infinite. Darkly we wait
So long for light, so oft it seems in vain,
But here was a life that sped too swiftly by
Yet kindled fires that will be slow to die.
C.E.W.

I sprang up from my body
For all the world to see,
But they looked down with tear-filled eyes
At that which wasnt me.

I shot up to the Heavens,
And then swooped down again,
I shouted out in sheer delight
With all my might and main.

I wrapped my arms around them,
Those ones who mourned so,
I said, Oh, know my happiness,
Do try, do try to know!

Then one looked up from mourning
Oer that which was not I,
And said in breathless wonder,
I feel that he is nigh,
I heard a little whisper,
I know it was his voice,
He said, Oh, know my happiness,
Rejoice with me, rejoice

Mary Tabor​

From The Medical Discoveries of Edward Bach Physician by Nora Weeks

Further Reading (books on my shelf which I have read):

The Twelve Healers and other Remedies by Edward Bach 1933

The Medical Discoveries of Edward Bach Physician by Nora Weeks 1940

The Bach Remedies Repertory by F J Wheeler M.R.C.S L.R.C.P. 1952

Handbook of the Bach Flower Remedies by Dr Philp M Chancellor 1971

Bach Flower Therapy Theory and Practice by Mechthild Scheffer 1981

Flower Remedies to the Rescue The Healing Vision of Dr Edward Bach by Gregory Vlamis 1986

And some more (books which I neither have, nor have read):

Introduction to the Benefits of the Bach Flower Remedies by Jane Evans

Heal Thyself by Edward Bach

Dictionary of the Bach Flower Remedies by T W Hyne Jones

Questions & Answers by John Ramsell

The Story of Mount Vernon by Judy Howard

Comments

Great stuff. I had no idea about BFR's (except that I liked the name!). Thanks - so many things out there to learn.

brenda;bt137 said:
Very interested Victoria

Any suggestions for sites to read? Thanks

Brenda

Just do a google search on Bach Flower Remedies (or Edward Bach). But when I get home from work tonight, I'll chose which is the best book (if someone wants to buy one on the subject).

I bought the larger size bottle of Bach Rescue Remedy last Saturday morning (as I discovered my bottle at home was empty & I'd left my purse one on my work desk).

Had severe tachycardia at 2.00am one night last week & was devastated to find no Rescue Remedy at home to take in the middle of the night. My heart was going crazy & woke me up. I was quite distressed at the time. Bach Rescue Remedy would have calmed me down instantly.

Like I said, it doesn't take training or a degree to use some of these alternatives, you just need to do some reading, understand the subtle nature of these Remedies & try them out.

They're not expensive.

Most people could afford Aust$17.95? for a small bottle (or $27.95 for a large bottle I think I paid on Saturday) of Rescue Remedy. It lasts for years.

Jody is also a great fan of Bach Rescue Remedy.ie the one for shock & emergencies which has 5 flowers in it.

Victoria

Cort;bt135 said:
Great stuff. I had no idea about BFR's (except that I liked the name!). Thanks - so many things out there to learn.

Cort,

I just re-read your post & realized BFR is the abbreviation for Bach Flower Remedies. As I've never seen the 3 words abbreviated in the last 25 years, my brain just refused to switch on.

What an Idiot I am?

My brain fog & dyslexia since I had that stress echocardiagram is unreal!

Was telling a colleague that I think the dubutomine (sp?) drug they used on that day, 2 weeks ago, has played havoc on my brain.

to telllll u thet uth, thi sis iss hat I ame trying ot epyt.
(translation: to tell you the truth, this is what I am trying to type)

Every single sentence I type at work has to be re-read 4-5 times before I get it right).

Phew! I just can't read what is staring me in the face.

Hope it wears off soon.

I am dreading the dye they will inject on the day of my coronary angiogram (sometime in the next couple of weeks).

Maybe I'd better go "on leave" on this forum, until my brain clears up.

(And reconciling 300 accounts yesterday & today is hard work too).

Victoria

Blog entry information

Author
Victoria
Read time
7 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Victoria