• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nursing Home on The Range: Happenings

October 13th, 2931

Nope, that's not right.

October 18th, 2021

Topical

Due to recent self generated turmoil, I am not sure how to approach this blogging effort. I've yet to parse out parameters. Erect boundaries. Or forge an outline. I mean, what can I safely discuss that's not embarrassingly honest?

Relationships

Ha! Well, I'm no idiot. I get it now. Bad idea. I can save those intimate discussions for my roommate, Jeff! You see, Jeff and I have an understanding now. Yes, we really do. He understands that I can help him, and recognizes that I've now helped him time and time again, advocating on his behalf. Go figure!

Has he quieted down?

Well, yes. A bit. Instead of an overwhelming 130 decibels generated, lasting twelve hours consecutively, he's pumping out a far less irritating 110 decibels. Plus, he now features intermittent napping, at no extra cost!

They upped his drugs.

It seems secretly sobbing within earshot of a male roommate is a near impossibility. How do I know this? A couple of days ago (while speaking in weird uncomfortable tones) he offered me relationship advice. His words were clearly heartfelt.

"Blank blank blank blank blank and blank…"

And then there was something about not worrying about it, 'cuz everything gonna workout. So I stopped worrying about it. Really, he absolutely tried, and I thanked him kindly.

I Cheated

Yes, I cheated on you guys. Yesterday, my brother-in-law texted, asking me if I wanted access to something called FuboTV. I responded that I didn't. So he asked me why. And I texted the following: The noise be bad loud very bad here already!

He's from Tennessee, so he easily picks up on my slang-worthy intentions.

And then from him -

"I just ordered you earplugs. Where should I send them?"

Ugh. I fell for the trap. He tricked me. And now, less than 24-hours later I have earplugs underneath earmuffs. Now I am mostly suddenly calm. I can barely hear my neighbor across the way, their televisions, nor the guy who cries "help me" every 20 minutes or so, without fail. But still, them barnyard animals from Jeff's video game persist. Muffled now, at least. So mostly what I hear are my own ears ringing, which I am quite used to while embedded in quiet.

She Sing, She Do

Then there's this. My just turned 100-years-old neighbor consistently bellows out full-throttled monotone vocalizations long into the night. Imagine Janis Joplin's voice spewing forth, with no real words. No real form. Just ceaseless bursts of enthusiastic garbled low-end crackling noise.

And this time she's been at it for the past 97-minutes, with nary a break. Crazy decibel levels, too. I hope she's not in pain, or overly distressed. I hope that's not the reason why she sounds the way she sounds, or the reason why she's doing it.

There's no real possibility of sleeping through this, but otherwise, I appreciate how powerfully she rumbles and grumbles.

A Psychiatric Holiday

A stranger entered the room. A woman casually handling a large McDonald's Orange Drink.

Memories awakened. I liked her already.

When I was 14, my mother used to stop off at McDonald's on the way home from work (on a near daily basis). Her objective? ...Pick up seven hamburgers (only onions), a large fry, and an Orange Drink for her son to devour. Back then, I required easy calories faithfully served. Now, it's simply ears listening. Or an occasional nod from a pleasant passerby.

So, the stranger sat close to me (which I appreciated), and we talked for an hour and a half. Then eventually, the lead psychiatrist came in. It turns out, he's the proverbial master of ceremonies. I'm not much on ceremony, but any master of anything intrigues me.

"You need to talk to THIS guy!" The Orange Drink-drinking Psychiatrist #2 insisted, while pointing at me.

Then I realized.. Gee willikers! I was THIS guy. And he was THAT guy. Then I wondered aloud, "Where the heck is Marlo Thomas? We need an officially designated THAT girl!"

As it turns out, each of them was perplexed, if not fascinated by my case. And they each seemed far more medically inclined than any regular, run of the mill physician I've encountered in the past half-decade. Somehow, they asked the right questions. Not all of them, mind you, but the one's I would ask myself, having had their educational background.

Most importantly, they suggested a nurse should do a blood draw soon-after having completed the dreaded Commode Event (which is something I've been trying to orchestrate for several months now) in order to make additional determinations.

They suggested many other options and introduced reasonable theories, many of which have appeared within posts throughout this forum. So that's that. And they'll be back for further in-depth discussion as time passes.

Dirty Windows

I saw outside a bird in flight come crashing, come crashing it did with authority and verve…

Hmmm… what do you think of that?

Double Lockdown

A few nights back, one of our own tested positive for Covid-19. They wouldn't tell us which staff member it was, besides mentioning that she'd been in our room overnight.. which left My Favorite Nurse, and/ the Indistinguishable CNA as the only possibilities.

The Nurse was in here for 30-minutes, helping with my formula replacement and a bandage change. Yikes!

The CNA? She took my pulse, then headed out the door. Twice.

After many swabs deep into our nasal passages throughout the live-long day, we came to know our truth last night. It was the CNA! ...with the lead pipe, in the vomitorium!!! Good news for us, not so good for her.

So, the whole time I've been here, we've been out of lockdown for only 12-hours. And this doesn't matter for me, except that Jeff cannot leave the room (as he did, ever so briefly, the day prior). And those 27-minutes alone were nice for me. Only a week left on this lockdown.

Hoist Me Up

Today's debacle? They once again tried to weigh me, utilizing the Hoyer Lift. And I repeatedly repeated why doing so was an impossibility. Muscle activation total suffering post-lift PEM head too heavy to hold up on my own pressure muscles strained stretched burn------.

Twenty minutes later, they came back, acting as though we'd never met, nor even discussed anything having to do with weighing me on the darned Hoyer Lift.

So this time, my frustrated-for-me roommate told them to f*** off, imploring them to leave me alone.

And they did. Finally. For several hours.

Of course, my urinal is now overflowing, yet my cup runneth dry.

Punish Me, from Above

I made her cry. My nurse ------ blank blank blank

Hmmm. This is tough. I cannot bypass all emotional content here, not entirely. Half of everything that goes on here is born out of emotion. Yes, it appears as though I require an editor! A Content Approval Editor.

Someone close to me used to do just that. Edit me. Keep me safe. Protected in that way. But she's unavailable for the foreseeable future.

I'll try again with the story, but I may seem to be a total assh******* here:

I made her cry. My nurse.
My response and actions pushed her over the edge.

Jeff had been mercilessly ripping on her a bit earlier, cruel mean words on top of crudely aimed missives. I offered the nurse several smiles and a series of thumbs ups (thumb ups?) as she came and went about the place.

Not too much later, my nurse came back into the room with a box of feeding formula. I'd run out. I'd been running on pure tap water for a bit. So what happens next, will make you angry as a hornet caught up in a beehive hairdo!

Well, the order came in all wrong (as I suspected it might) and instead of my Kate Farm's feeding formula, they ordered a pediatric Nestle product.. You know, Nestle.. the candied corporation that specializes in making milk chocolate products. With milk, milk proteins, casein, recycled cow utters, shredded pieces of cowbell.. The Works!

*I don't do dairy

In a moment of frustration, I dropped a couple of f-bombs. And was about to throw the offending formula bottle through my bullet hole riddled wall, when my nurse began crying. Out loud.

F***! I wasn't really going to throw it through the wall. I swear.

I quietly apologized and motioned for her to come towards me. She shook her head and pointed, indicating that my roommate was to blame, not me. I took hold of her hand and apologized some more. Dammit. I'm supposed to be the good guy.

My frustration was all about everything here being so often wrong. My not being able to attain proper nourishment…

That outburst occurred three days ago, and ever since then the nurse has been opening up to me about her worldly frustrations. Which is good. And for her, completely, obviously, necessary.

There's a price to be paid for reacting and not thinking. Or writing and upsetting.

It's now 4:44am and my legs are partially numb, unmovable muscles slow burn, hips badly ache. What is this? Happens every so often. Probably common.

Take care,
Howard

This is what it looked like when my roommate left the room, in between lockdowns... room dividing curtain pulled back!!!:

20211013_105131_HDR~2.jpg

Comments

one of my many theories is Big Head small neck. Women's hats never fit me. I do have alot of hair.

Does the j-tube mean moving around is impossible? (I don' t really know).

I have a large head, with a normal neck! Not sure about women's hats.. although I have some trouble with men's varieties.

J-tube people can function normally, if the function normally. There are portable backpack feeding units available. Being always tethered does make situations and movements awkward now and again.

Thanks @Howard, but more to the point: Can you move around if you have a portable backpack or are you too weak for that at this point?

I think that's what Rufous was getting at. Yours, Lenora.

That's a good question. I've been trying to determine this myself over the course of many months. My aim is to test for myoglobin, creatine-kinase, lactic acid, then note any hypoxia. UA also for myoglobin.

It typically takes 15 to 20 minutes before I feel as though I've been hit by a truck. However, my recovery time is a matter of hours, versus the typical days-long recovery others experience with this illness (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis) post PE.M. At least, that's how I understand it.

Hi, @Howard

I was just watching a FICTIONAL medical drama, which inspired some Googling. I will share my findings on the PR Forum when I have time and energy, but in the meantime, I wanted to reach out to you directly to see if anyone has recently tested the amount of ammonia in your blood.

(Whoa. That was a long and very poorly constructed sentence. The kind you find in People magazine.)

You should fact check me, cuz I ain't at my cognitive best today, but apparently some of the following things are true, and naturally made me think of you.

(Horrific rhyming is totally unintentional. Me too tired to edit myself tonight.)

Amonia-related factoids:

*Muscular exertion – muscles produce ammonia when active and absorb it when resting.
*An ammonia plasma test is often performed on those those receiving high-calorie IV nutrition
*Having excess amonia in blood can cause that "poisoned" feeling, which then dissipates when converted to urea and excreted from the body (or something very similar, fact check me!)

Last edited:
I truly appreciate the effort.. I actually laughed a couple of times while reading (and I don't laugh often). Well, one texting friend cracks me up. She writes wrong things, then I write wrong things back.

*Muscular exertion – muscles produce ammonia when active and absorb it when resting.
*An ammonia plasma test is often performed on those those receiving high-calorie IV nutrition
*Having excess amonia in blood can cause that "poisoned" feeling,

Wow. That sounds like me. Cursory look.. has me confused. Just spent past hour examining potential muscle biopsy outcomes. So I may speak semi-intelligently with the neurologist .. whenever that comes into play :)

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
6 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard