• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Into the Teeth: a Road Trip Video (part 1.5)

October 8th, 2021 - 955pm

The Teeth Equation is still in limbo (gotta ask the good folks at Phoenix Rising for input, eventually). Yes, I am currently procrastinating/practicing avoidance.

Tripping Out

This is the video I wanted to include with the original posting, but google photos was misbehaving. It's not particularly artistic, just scenery being seen.

The song is called "Old Timey" and is an easy, mellow, and possibly boring recording I made while living in my friend's garage (2006). The latter portion of the song (outro) includes sounds and utterances made by my current roommate, as well as other random staff member's and residents alike.

I miss living in that garage though.. having had the freedom to record and make all sorts of noise whenever I felt the urge. No heat or air-conditioning though, so during the hottest part of the day I often hung out at various libraries around town.. which was more than satisfying, a fair trade off. Binge reading! :)

What an abrupt changeover … from decades of not needing much of anything, nor anything from anybody, to being virtually helpless.. and always asking, forever dependent.

Is that the case with anybody/everybody else here? Is it difficult asking for assistance?
Is guilt a real thing?

Anyway, here's this.. I think the music fits the mood:

Comments

Hi @Howard.....Boy, you've always been a cloud guy type of person, haven't you? I used to love lying and watching the clouds when I was a child. Do you think children and people in general still partake of that simple pleasure?
Plus going as high as you can on a real swing, not one of those gym sets that's hopping and skipping with you. You can't go high into the clouds with those.

So yes, I can see the connection between going out the other day and the video above. Both have cloud similarities. You also used your other senses (at least some of them).....the smell of the desert plants, the after smell of rain (which I love myself), all of it. Were you ever a camper? We used to do that, but it has fallen off the top of the pop charts.

I hope you behaved overnight. How was Jeff last evening? Glad it's cooling off in there, cool here in TX this a.m., but is expected to reach the 90's today, then a cold spell (which is in the low 80's...well, you know). However, there's a nip in the air.

Too bad about the applesauce. I'm glad you'll have your own stash this weekend most likely.

Was last night any better? Hey, I'm in perfect quiet here and I've been up for 4 nights straight, more or less. Which explains why I can't think of anything to write.

Oh, State Fair time. Needless to say, we won't be going, we're not exactly fair fans having had too much of it all when we were younger. Boring aren't I? I agree....that's why I read your blog. Stay in touch and make yourself pretty for the day staff. Yours, Lenora.

I liked that! Old Timey- it did have that quality. And some irony.

it seems once I"d managed to translate the reversed Sign On Bonus...that was it for me. I couldn't stop laughing. It seems I laugh at all the wrong things.

traveling backwards down the roadway makes me laugh. Did you ever get into one of those giant station wagons, and get assigned the Seat that Faces Backwards?

Or your stuck on a highway road trip, and you cannot pass the Station Wagon children facing backwards, who are gesticulating monkeys.

Reminds me of what felt like 100 miles of following a mobile home, well actually half a mobile home, on the back of semi and I could not pass. Somewhere between Cottonwood, Arizona, and Interstate (15, 40,?). Instead, your looking into a mobile home half living room, through the open windows, the front door is not lashed close, so it opens and closes 1,382 times.

I"d really like to pass.

That Airstream Convoy, 100s of them, headed south on 395 to Reno.

QUESTION/REMARK....what strange powerlines. Looks like they keep adding on one more random wire, as an afterthought.

Your video was great, Howard. I don't look outside much either, as it's too bright. The clouds are beautiful.

Your music is eclectic, and I enjoyed it. I can't quite grasp what it reminds me of, but it's amusing.

Yes, asking for assistance is so difficult. I can bring myself to ask my mom, but it's tough to do.

Last edited:
Do you think children and people in general still partake of that simple pleasure?

What children do these days… Good question. But the only kids I know today are my wife's grandchildren. And each of them are plugged in 24/7. Video screens built into the vehicle headrests. Tablets at the dinner table. That sort of thing.

But my wife is hands on, so when she visits with them the screens go off.

Were you ever a camper? We used to do that, but it has fallen off the top of the pop charts.

I wasn't as much of a camping person as I would have liked to be. But my final venture (off and out to the Mojave Desert) was an attempt to de-stress.. as it was suggested by professional doctors that my illness (this was late 2012) may have been psychosomatically induced. Deduced?

Of course, there wasn't a stressed out bone in my body during the entire adventure, and yet, I was still sick as hell. Go figure. Had to skip out on the last leg through Death Valley.

Texas camping for you?

it seems once I"d managed to translate the reversed Sign On Bonus...that was it for me. I couldn't stop laughing. It seems I laugh at all the wrong things.

As with everyone else, thanks for listening. Glad you were amused. Long ago I used to focus all of my efforts on recording novelty types of songs. And it didn't go so well. LOL

That's a great station wagon story. Now, the station wagons are tiny, ugly, and they call them something else.

Cottonwood. Good.

What children do these days… Good question. But the only kids I know today are my wife's grandchildren. And each of them are plugged in 24/7. Video screens built into the vehicle headrests. Tablets at the dinner table. That sort of thing.

But my wife is hands on, so when she visits with them the screens go off.

I wasn't as much of a camping person as I would have liked to be. But my final venture (off and out to the Mojave Desert) was an attempt to de-stress.. as it was suggested by professional doctors that my illness (this was late 2012) may have been psychosomatically induced. Deduced?

Of course, there wasn't a stressed out bone in my body during the entire adventure, and yet, I was still sick as hell. Go figure. Had to skip out on the last leg through Death Valley.

Texas camping for you?

Uh, no.....Camping in Texas isn't for us, although we have schlepped to many places in the state. It's always nice to see where you're living. Snakes, you see, some very poisonous ones, although our grandchildren loved the camp they went to when younger.

Our grandson is an Eagle Scout, so Boy Scout camps were his all-time faves. He has camped across the country (and hiked), but he's a freshman in college this year. Time to make bucks, so no time for camping this summer.

I do wish we had done the Dude Ranch thing (or Dudette...whatever). With so many females in the family, heavy mud and rain always seemed to interfere with that experience. And of course now our girls wish they'd done it. Well, you couldn't look like Farrah Fawcett Major (then) and get your "feathered back" hair soaked rather continuously in the rain. One cared, the other didn't, but then the latter always wanted to go to soccer camp instead, or spend a week at a soccer convention. You get all sorts when you choose to have children, as you know. It's not like putting in an order in a restaurant, although it may be more like that today that ever before. Anyway, we were all happy enough.

We camped in the northeast and near large bodies of water. Our equipment was cheap, so that probably explains why things were never comfy. Heck, it was easier to sleep on the floor of our front porch when I was a child than the comfortable air beds of the late '60's early 70's. Years long passed, opportunities missed, but then we had plenty of other types of "adventures" with our girls (now 50 and 47).

Interesting to note though: When children we always wanted to go away...and couldn't afford to (like so many other large families then). Today our grandchildren in CA are taken on wonderful trips. Their idea of heaven is to stay at home! Really, that's all they want to do. Too much activity, they need to lay around looking at clouds. I'll bet Steve Jobs did. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Howard