• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nearly Imminent: The Call Comes In

October 1st, 2021

The Phone Doesn't Ring

I am waiting. I seem to wait a lot. Waiting for something. Waiting for anything to happen. And something may happen today. A decision made. Or a decision unmade. Either way, I cannot know what happens next. What I do know is that I need to bring things with me.

So, what do I bring?

All of my useful possessions exist within arm's length. Anything beyond this length doesn't exist. Sure, I can look at things, or even ask for things out of reach, but that's not what I do. I ask for as little as possible. I do need help sometimes, but I avoid asking for it as best I can. Am I a minimalist?

Oops.. Slightly derailed here... Just spent the past hour working with my mother, trying to get her next insulin prescription order filled.

Well, the first 15 minutes were spent trying to determine which wrong button she pushed, the one that partially disabled her flip phone. And it may seem as though I'm the type of person that can figure things like that out, perhaps even quickly, but that's not the case here.

Fortunately I have the downloaded phone manual on my tablet, however, I always forget where I put the darn thing, which folder.

So mostly, her phone is currently operational now. After my fix. A simple button press. However, she still has a very old Amber Alert (emergency area wide child abduction message) stuck on her phone. And I don't know how to clear that message.

This specific alert had something to do with a father escaping from Yuma, on the run, and believed to be heading for Blythe, California with innumerable tethered toddlers in tow. But what the heck can we do, from here? That's not even our jurisdiction!

And so you know, it was all a misunderstanding.

And speaking of resting…

After all of that excitement, it seems as though I need a nap. Back to back to back phone conversations while navigating through never-ending automated button presses is extremely draining. The extra loud elevator music blaring out of my earpiece doesn't help a whole lot either. At least it's piano jazz.

Rump a dump do baba-dook
Doo dump baba dook
Baba baba dook doc dee ba

Moving Parts/Packing and Tracking

What do I take with me?

As I won't have access to a television, I'll need to bring my Amazon Fire Tablet, and my phone. I'll assume internet access is on their agenda.

What else?

Probably my three favored supplements, even though I never really take them anymore. At least, not for the most part.

A pair of shorts. A button-down shirt for easy tube feeding access. Do I need socks? I haven't worn any socks since 2014. Nor shoes. Toothbrush. Mouthwash. Tube feeding accessories. My industrial strength ear muffs. Bandanas to cover my eyes, or make me look super cool (depending upon the occasion and motivation). Two pillows.

And that's it. My life crammed into a large box. Or a trash bag.

In Stone It was Written

The call came in. I will be leaving for my new home Sunday afternoon. And I am suddenly apprehensive and nervous. But I shall be prepared as I need to be. The only terrible bad awful thing will be my initial arrival at this place. By Day Two, and after having recovered from the journey, things will be more okay.

Or perhaps my journey down the twisted stairs won't destroy me after all. I shouldn't project. Projecting is bad, unless you are running a movie theater.

I need to stay away from thoughts detailing possible worst case scenarios. If this move is going to kill me, it's going to kill me whether I am fearful or not. A self-fulfilling prophecy won't do me any good. And if I'm going to prophesize, it'll be about wonderful terrific groovy things, like me recovering from this stupid illness, relatively intact.

Take care, y'all
H

Comments

A couple of thoughts on 'The Move' ....
  • You'll need some sort of foot covering, either thick socks or slippers. I know you dont walk around a lot, but I think it's a health requirement in care centers ...
  • Not to be a buzzkill, but theft in care centers is pretty rampant. Make sure that your tablet and phone are with you at all times, even if you're only just down the hall from your room/bed/accommodations ....take them with you to the bathroom ....
  • If you have any sort of headset, either earphones or sound mufflers, take it with you. Those places can get noisy and it's nice to be able to block out as much of it as possible ....
  • You might ask for a list of rules or guidelines when you get there, just in case. And it establishes that you intend to be a responsible resident ....
  • A large-ish collection of T-shrts or anything else you're comfy in would be a good idea.
  • The laundry services in those places are brutal and use a lot of stuff that you may be reactive to. It would help if your LPW could do occasional loads of laundry for you....
  • Please keep in touch. I'll be needing to know that you're OK, as will everyone else .... :hug::hug: ....

Thank you all for the encouragement and reminders. I just need to somehow make it through today.. accept that I have absolutely no control over what's going to happen to me physically. My thoughts I can change. Suffering is inevitable, whether I am fearful or not.

Being There

I won't be leaving my bed (except for the adjacent bedside commode), but good point on the socks. My feet are messed up, but maybe they can figure something out. Once socks or shorts go on, they're not coming back off unless someone does that for me. And that presents problems involving elimination issues. Embarrassing issues that people don't consider. Anyway, I am intending not to be clothed, just a cover-up sheet across my midsection. De-clothing expends too much energy.

I shall indeed remember my electronic devices and adapters! I plan on keeping my valuables in my Velcro'd lunch bag (tablet and phone). I don't have anything else.

I may try a stair chair today (with necessary head support) versus the burrito tarp. Perhaps it'll place less pressure upon my muscles (therefore, less subsequent ??? released into my blood stream). I am not sure if doing so is logistically possible, but.. why not?

I need to get back to sleep now. And when I am struggling today I'll focus on happy thoughts and the well wishes of others.

H

Sorry about the noise! I was worried about that part. Take it easy.:hug:
Yeah, me too. Hence the suggestion for headphones and any other noise deadening hedge @Howard can think of. They're notorious for fairly constant clamor.

I'll mention the theft issues again, just to tediously drive the point home once more. Hiding them wont do any good, they'll be ferreted out. Just keep em next you, even when asleep ....

Keep letting us know how you settle in @Howard :hug::hug::hug:....

Thank you all for the encouragement and reminders. I just need to somehow make it through today.. accept that I have absolutely no control over what's going to happen to me physically. My thoughts I can change. Suffering is inevitable, whether I am fearful or not.

Being There

I won't be leaving my bed (except for the adjacent bedside commode), but good point on the socks. My feet are messed up, but maybe they can figure something out. Once socks or shorts go on, they're not coming back off unless someone does that for me. And that presents problems involving elimination issues. Embarrassing issues that people don't consider. Anyway, I am intending not to be clothed, just a cover-up sheet across my midsection. De-clothing expends too much energy.

I shall indeed remember my electronic devices and adapters! I plan on keeping my valuables in my Velcro'd lunch bag (tablet and phone). I don't have anything else.

I may try a stair chair today (with necessary head support) versus the burrito tarp. Perhaps it'll place less pressure upon my muscles (therefore, less subsequent ??? released into my blood stream). I am not sure if doing so is logistically possible, but.. why not?

I need to get back to sleep now. And when I am struggling today I'll focus on happy thoughts and the well wishes of others.

H

Hi @Howard.....How about a pair of slip on slippers which would be easier to get to the commode in. You certainly don't want to carry any of the floor germs back to your bed.

Also, the socks may be a good idea as long as they aren't tight around the toes. Who knows? Jeff may be kind enough to pull them off for you if you need to. Is he mobile?

I hope the nurses pop in frequently....at least they sound nice. Yours, Lenora.

Blog entry information

Author
Howard
Read time
3 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from Howard