• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DAY 7 - dose 1

Looking to tweak the protocol a little now due to heart burn, nausea and generally feeling unwell. Not all of which I am prepared to believe is the immune response, as a lot of it seems to be to do with stomach upset.

So today I took the reishi after the main dose by 30 minutes to see if it made any difference. It didn't really effect the heart burn but it did effect the nausea.

20 minutes after dosing the heartburn has resolved but the immune system certainly seems to become active, as I can feel my ulcer getting worse and a loss of energy. This is without the reishi which I'll take in another 10 minutes.

10 minutes later certainly the ulcer is a lot worse hence wound healing is worse and the immune response has gone a bit skew-wiff - never figured out how or why this is occuring but Bhupesh Prusty mentioned it in a tweet months ago as a symptom he expected to see widespread due to hhv-6. Anyway I've taken the reishi now to see how I feel with that.

The reishi extract 30 minutes later just seems to make me feel a bit high, I'm not saying it isn't have an immune effect although not too sure if it really is. But feeling high isn't great either, at least I can't rely on traditional remedies to stimulate my body into working like I could the first 2 years I was sick. Also when I got the glandular fever last year I was taking ginseng, but it was a bacterial infection that did me in, not the ginseng itself. Suffice to say ginseng is not something you can just "stop" if you run into trouble. It takes about 2 weeks to come out of your system. By which point the infection had got out of control. So I am very wary of immune stimulating herbs these days, as they can make me very ill. Hoping that doesn't happen here.

However what I did notice last week was that R-ALA was burning my stomach pretty bad and it is making me think that this is probably reacting with my stomach and other things I am taking in an unpleasant way. As it's only needed for ROS and I am a little concerned about the mercury mobilisation aspects I will probably remove this from the protocol from the second dose today.

Certainly don't want to make myself sicker than I already am! I'll also lower the reishi extra to 500mg to see if my body catches up a bit.

Comments

Forgot to say I also noticed my shoulder muscles up into my neck were thick and stiff last night. I massaged them and then got my gf to do it properly. Felt way better after, but it was really bad. This is quite common when fighting an infection I think, but not really sure what it means in terms of immune response.

Forgot to say I also noticed my shoulder muscles up into my neck were thick and stiff last night.

I wonder if this is because of the increased ammonia. I get that when I take BCAAs which are suppose to increase ammonia. I also have a hard time clearing it and feel better when I take ornithine.

I'm not suggesting that but just making a statement but my understanding is that the protocol is lowering alpha ketoguterate which helps to reduce ammonia in the body.

(I'm not on his protocol. Just watching to see how others do on it.)

Also for the ulcer/nausea I wonder if you could add DGL or if that would mess something up.

Last edited:
Hey Judee,

I had some bcaas that morning. So I reckon that's exactly what it was.

What's dgl? I'll try to look it up. I forget which part of the protocol is ammonia clearing now. Will need to check. Actually I think it's the benzoate. I took that out as I was having some allergic reaction symptoms. Seemed to go once I got rid of it.

Ah orthinine Interesting! @joshua.leisk maybe this also disposes of ammonia.

As for dgl I reckon that would increase the immune response further. Although my nausea is way better since I dumped the r-ala. So god knows what that was doing

Last edited:
Forgot to say I also noticed my shoulder muscles up into my neck were thick and stiff last night. I massaged them and then got my gf to do it properly. Felt way better after, but it was really bad. This is quite common when fighting an infection I think, but not really sure what it means in terms of immune response.
I get that personally from a high urea state.. For me, that normally equates to >350g of protein a day and 4 hours of training, without sufficient hydration.

You may see some benefits from increasing water intake / excretion?

350g?! Isn't that bad for your liver haha.

I definitely drank 3 litres that day I think, just bought some 5 litre packs actually theother day :D

Benzoate definitely the first few days.

350g?! Isn't that bad for your liver haha.

I definitely drank 3 litres that day I think, just bought some 5 litre packs actually theother day :D

Benzoate definitely the first few days.
The one I hear a lot is “bad for kidneys”. It’s all down to mTOR activity.

I was performing some n=1 experiments over that period. My BUN and eGFR stayed in acceptable range, so I wasn’t able to replicate any issues around those concerns. (Transient spikes of urea relating to insufficient hydration were the only problem noted, but that was operator error.)

Enzyme elevations also met my expectations for increased transamination involving alanine and aspartate.

Nice one! Least you were able to work it through with the appropriate pathology.

Not sure my body would do any better with more than 130g a day though. Also the lack of dairy is an issue.

Do you still fast once a month or so?

As for dgl I reckon that would increase the immune response further.

Quoting Healthline website: "DGL is a form of licorice that people have processed for safer consumption. They remove a substantial amount of a substance called glycyrrhizin."

I don't know. I have read that straight licorice has some anti-viral properties. I take it but it is also hormonal and can raise bp so if those are a problem you have to watch for those issues.

DGL doesn't have the Glycyrrhizin so shouldn't raise bp--but for my Mom we noticed that it still did. I think the Glycyrrhizin is also the anti-viral part.

Anyway, it only raised my very low bp a little and does make me feel better so could be the hormonal aspect or the anti-viral aspect or both.

Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for all the updates.

Licorice is a special type of adaptogen in traditional medicines, it basically boosts the power of other things it's taken with. How this works isn't very clear but the scientific studies do back it up.

As you say it effects hormones and can effect bp quite easily, it's supposed to sedate in higher doses and if you go high enough it can cause coma and eventually death. Sounds dramatic but it is fairly strong stuff so not overly surprising.

Sadly it often over stimulates me so I am just hyper all the time. I am hyper occasionally on the reishi but not all the time. This is quite a good balance really. My sleep is now back to normal too which is great, as it means I can just focus on resting.

DGL does sound interesting though! I keep thinking of things I could add to knock down ROS further, but I think I am just going to add the thorne multi in next week as I don't want to invalidate the experiment. I am also trying to find out if I can take my transdermal b12 as I think too much b12 knocks the protocol out of whack.

Glad the updates are useful, I'll do as many as I can!

Blog entry information

Author
godlovesatrier
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

• Daily doodal dandy
    Just testing this out
  • Covid day 75
    Well since my last few updates I started to suffer from exhaustion and...
  • Pray
    If you pray, will you pray for me please? I have covid pneumonia and...

More entries from godlovesatrier

• Covid Day 59
    After herxing a lot yesterday taking 250mcg of kpv for a bad head cold...
  • Covid day 56
    I started to feel better around day 40, lactoferrin 900mg a day...
  • Covid update
    Lung pain has definitely gone since taking two 5mg hydrocortisone doses...
  • Covid day 39
    I've got air hunger now which I haven't had for about two or three...
  • Covid day 36
    I've been suffering with a ton of inflammation since about week 2...