• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Choline Killers - OTC / Rx

There are many kinds of prescription drugs and over-the-counter (OTC) medications that cause memory loss by blocking the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Long term use is not required. Memory loss may be noticeable in as little as 60 days .

Low acetylcholine can lead to a group of symptoms that resemble dementia including mental confusion, brain fog, incoherent speech, delirium, blurred vision, memory loss, and hallucinations.

Many popular OTC products for treating allergies, colds, cough, sinus problems, skin irritations, insomnia, headaches and pain contain diphenhydramine.

A large study of seniors found that seniors who took OTC medications (like Benadryl - diphenhydramine) are at significantly increased risk for developing dementia and Alzheimer's.
You can find a complete list of medications that contain diphenhydramine at Drugs.com.

If your are taking prescription medications, the odds are that it falls into one the following three categories of drugs known to cause memory loss and other cognitive problems .

ANTI- DRUGS - for example:

Antihistamines
Antidepressants
Antipsychotics
Antibiotics
Antispasmodics
Antihypertensive

It is likely that it will affect your acetylcholine level. Drugs that block acetylcholine are known as anticholinergic.

SLEEPING PILLS

Prescription sleeping pills are notorious for causing memory problems, as well as amnesia and even blackouts.

A study done by Dr. Kirk Parsley former Navy SEAL and sleep expect for the US Navy - found a large number of SEALS were using sleeping pills and made a startling discovery while studying EEG's of their brains.
Their brain wave patterns showed these men were unconscious as if they were drunk or in a coma , but were actually asleep.This means these men were not experiencting the restorative sleep their brains needed to consolidate new memories or maintain and repair itself .

STATIN DRUGS

Cholesterol medications might be the single worse group of drugs for your brain. One quarter of your brain is composed of cholesterol, which is needed to make neurotransmitters - chemicals that the brain cells use to communicate with each other.

For a list of medications known to have memory loss as possible side effects

Read here:

http://bebrainfit.com/20-medications-that-can-cause-memory-loss/

Comments

I used a docongestant nasal spray, knowing it's anticholinergic. But I needed a good night's sleep. Even 2 sprays/nostril made me feel terrible the next day. And my self-testing showed my body wanted double the amounts of choline I usually take. Good blog, Sue. thanks

Blog entry information

Author
seunderwood
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from seunderwood