• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

User Blogs

Categories

anciendaze
5 min read
Views
User Blogs
My last peroration concerned the way one major component of the economic fiasco of 2008 could have been made visible. A diagram, on a single (if large) piece of paper, of the way credit default swaps (CDS) connected major financial institutions could have made it obvious at a glance that the...
anciendaze
4 min read
Views
User Blogs
The latest financial news seems to be that the U.S. economic system isn't as bad off as it seemed; paradoxically, this is because Europe may be in a bigger mess than previously thought. A meeting between leaders of Germany and France did not produce dramatic results, which markets were hoping...
liverock
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Do you have a cordless phone in your bedroom or anywhere in the house? Digital Electronic Cordless(DECT) phones, emit a continuous radio frequency(RF) pulsing signal similar to a mobile phone 24/7, even when they are not in use. :Retro eek: They are particularly dangerous in a bedroom with...
alex3619
6 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
The biopsychosocial movement is indeed under serious attack regarding CFS and ME - not from patients as sometimes claimed, but from advances in the biomedical science. The evidence is strong that the argument that ME and even CFS are functional somatic syndromes is seriously flawed. Similar...
Merry
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The Job Application by Robert Walser Esteemed gentlemen, I am a poor, young, unemployed person in the business field, my name is Wenzel, I am seeking a suitable position, and I take the liberty of asking you, nicely and politely, if perhaps in your airy, bright, amiable rooms...
Andrew
2 min read
Views
Reaction score
Comments
User Blogs
This article offers tips for dealing with food, including shopping and preparation. Because everyone's circumstance is different, there is no one-size-fits-all-solution. For example, some people can only eat certain types of organic food, while others can eat a wide range of food. What I will...
anciendaze
3 min read
Views
User Blogs
Our global education in modern economics continues apace. Recent financial news introduced many people to the unfamiliar term 'quantitative easing', as well as the acronym FOMC (Federal Open Markets Committee). This is a measure designed to boost the money supply when ordinary fiscal and...
My goals in starting this series have been obscured by subsequent events, but one underlying theme has been strongly reinforced. Individual humans exhibit 'bounded rationality', even when pursuing narrow self-interest defined in numerical terms. If any participants in the debate in Congress...
Cort
5 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
The Month Of ME - in response to a challenge and in recognition of the important role the term myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) has played and continues to play in this disorder, August, 2011 will be the Month of ME on Phoenix Rising. We will examine MEs role in this disorder throughout the month...
anciendaze
2 min read
Views
User Blogs
Events have provided the excitement I feared. (Brace yourself for another digression.) S&P has announced that the U.S. government is about as reliable a debtor as Belgium, (which can scarcely agree on the language in which to debate issues.) Their published reasoning offers a little for each...
anciendaze
3 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
Today's financial news provokes yet another digression from me on the origin of the Eurozone. Don't expect this to match official histories. We have been asking what is this stuff called money, without pinning it down. One common assumption is that money is something issued and regulated...
Merry
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
from The Business Guide: On Safe Methods of Business by J. L. Nichols, A. M. (1904 edition; originally published 1886) Genius, Capital, Skill, Labor Here is a comparative table of genius, capital, skill, labor, on the mutual basis of the almighty dollar. Genius. The power...
What is really wrong with the economy? There is the obvious things like globalization, and increased productivity. However I have a slightly different take that is not so obvious. From a sick person's point of view if you will. So what is the not so obvious answer to what is really wrong...
anciendaze
6 min read
Views
User Blogs
A long list of people who have tried to analyze wars from an economic standpoint have ended up with contradictory conclusions. In "Vom Kreige", Clausewitz couldn't find any separate purpose for war. "War is the extension of politics by other means." (Possibly true, but this begs another...
I just finished my 5 day water fast. I'm now gradually feeding myself with fruits and fruit juices. I expected that this fast will improve my ulcer and worsen my infectious prostatitis (they say fasting weakens immune system). However things didn't go exactly like that - fasting improved my...
anciendaze
7 min read
Views
User Blogs
During the Great Depression there was a recurrent theme of "Where did all the money go?" It has been a constant surprise to me that scarcely anyone asks where the money which had fueled the roaring twenties came from. My answer is that the U.S. enjoyed prosperity because all parties in the...
anciendaze
5 min read
Views
User Blogs
Today's news tells me the U.S. will not go out of business just yet. (This will prevent me from buying some choice items at the going-out-of-business sale.) Further down the page I find reports allowing me to add two more financial institutions to the list of those still figuring out what hit...
anciendaze
6 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
While I don't pretend to understand the current budget deal, I will hazard some observations about things noticed in the previous week. We had a House plan from Republicans, a Senate plan from Democrats, and a proposal from the Tea party for a balanced budget amendment, plus an analysis by the...
Bethany
2 min read
Views
Comments
User Blogs
by Bethany Yagci If I weren't ill... I wouldn't have to rely On my poor spirit weak as it is coming up Surprisingly stronger than all else. I would rely on my body, that washed up shell That is supposedly me which was Once my confidante now become my betrayer. My mind which...
I have previously suggested the problem with research on ME/CFS centers on a lack of funding for meaningful research with some chance of changing a dismal situation. I have also traced some current controversies to what I believe were scientific errors made decades ago, even before the label...