• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Career in the Balance

October, the hospital decided to flex its muscles and told me that since I wouldn't work nights or run to codes that I would have to find somewhere else to work and that my presence was requested at an interview for a counselling job downtown.

I had mixed feelings. My DNA ran deep in the program and I cared for her like she was a real person. And yet I thought that I could do a good job helping others with mental health issues. It was a subject I knew intimately.

It was like the interview had been written just for me. Between my work experience and the road I had travelled with Bipolar and Anxiety, I knew that I had the job sown up. I was good with this. Except one thing. I had an operation coming up and a percentage of people are told that they have cancer based on what is pulled out. Too graphic?

One day, the unit manager passed through and I asked her if she was OK with me leaving the program. I added that to my knowledge that I would be gradually improving in the months ahead. She said that it was necessary given my work restrictions.

One day, I was called into her office and the Program Manager was there as well and I was offered the Team Lead position. I suggested that they might not want me as I didn't like the way things were and that I would be changing things and they both replied, "That's what we were hoping".

I asked them to be patient with me that a severe B12 deficiency can take months to improve. They seemed to trust me and have faith in me. I was aware of the work that lay ahead for me but I knew the program and this position would certainly be easier than inventing myself as a counsellor.

I returned to the floor and immediately it was, "What was that all about?" That was from 2 of the four staff that were trying to get me off the unit. The Ring-Leader left to speak with Darla and didn't return for a long time. I knew that I had my work cut out for me. I was in charge of people who had put the boots to me when I was down.

In November, I was scoped from both ends and the good news was that there were no polyps found in the upper G.I. and the bad news was that the curcumin experiment had failed. There was no change and my colon was still full of polyps. Surgery was scheduled for the spring.

This is late fall of 2012.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
stridor
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from stridor